Hi guys! Yesterday I promised I had something fun to share today. And I do. This is not your average long-winded healthy-living food or fitness post. I’m going to start with a little talk about blogging, then get into some very random facts about me, much like the 25 things you don’t know about me, I shared a while back.
Blogging inspiration straight from the founder of BlogHer
Recently, I’ve been attending a few blogger events around San Francisco and have had the opportunity to meet so many lovely ladies in real life, then follow them in the blog-world once we all head back to our computers. Last week, I attended an event in the SoMa-neighborhood offices of a big tech company hosted by BlogHer. I knew that two of my favorite local bloggers were attending, but was super excited to see so many familiar faces that I didn’t even know would be there, as well as meet a few new ones.
After a little socializing, we heard from one of the founders of BlogHer, Elisa Camahort, who talked about the trends in blogging and shared the following tips:
- Get to know your audience better, who they are and what they want. Write for them.
- Small- to medium-sized blogs have an advantage over huge blogs these days, because smaller bloggers can provide a more intimate community for their readers.
- As a blogger, it’s not all about your audience size, it’s more about your influence with your readers. Do they trust you? People need to trust you. Blogging is a lot about trust.
- Some of the most successful blogs in the world were started because someone couldn’t find what they were looking for online, so they wrote it themselves.
- Put yourself out there, because what’s the worst that could happen? Don’t wait for perfection to launch an idea, try out the minimal viable product to get going.
- And finally, my favorite thought of the night straight from Elisa’s mouth — “There is a world of people out there who will say no to you. Don’t you say no to you.” Amen, sister.
Elisa also talked about the use of each different form of social media and a few more specifics when it comes to sponsorships, advertising and using your blog as a platform to launch a professional career. Needless to say, I walked out of the evening event feeling pretty inspired and so glad that I started blogging. While I like a lot of things in this world, writing and sharing my life with all of you is high up there on the list, and I only wish I had started sooner.
And with that, let’s get to the fun stuff.
Fun facts about the Lady of A Lady Goes West
I saw Brittany post this survey last week and thought it would be a good one to share on A Lady Goes West. So without further ado, here’s some information you probably don’t know about me, and yes, it was VERY difficult to stick to just four things per topic …
Four names that people call me other than my real name:
- Pinder (My maiden name.)
- APinder (My maiden name with an A in front. Oh, you figured that one out?)
- APitt (Got this one too?)
- AP (For those who like efficiency.)
Four jobs I’ve had:
- Gift-basket maker at the mall in high school (I can still make a bow from scratch.)
- Copywriter at Starwood Hotels (Would you like to see a website I wrote?)
- Public relations account director at an agency
- Personal trainer at Equinox
Four movies I’ve watched more than once:
- Shag (My favorite movie of ALL TIME!)
- Love Actually (Who doesn’t love this one?)
- The Mighty Ducks (Had a slight obsession back in the day.)
- Old School (One of the most quotable movies ever, outside of Anchorman.)
Four books I’d recommend*:
- Gone Girl (Okay, I’m not quite done with it yet, but so close!)
- The Poisonwood Bible
- Time Traveler’s Wife (The movie is definitely not as good.)
- House of Sand and Fog
*This was a tough question because I used to read a lot, but have stopped in the past couple of years. I’m sure I’m neglecting a few favorites.
Four places I’ve lived:
- Port Charlotte, Florida
- Gainesville, Florida
- Orlando, Florida
- San Francisco, California
Four places I’ve been:
- Florence, Italy (Studied abroad there in college.)
- Nice, France (Just for a night on that same study abroad trip.)
- Nassau, Bahamas (Cruise and very crazy college trip.)
- Cabo, Mexico (My most recent fabulous vacation part one and part two.)
Four places I’d rather be right now:
- On the beach with a cold beverage and the seabreeze blowing in my hair.
- In my parent’s kitchen in Florida watching my mom cook.
- At the park picnicking on a sunny day with Dave and friends.
- Eating cheese and tasting wine in Napa Valley wearing a maxi dress.
Four things I don’t eat:
- Onion rings
- Super hot and spicy dishes
- Philly cheesesteaks
- Unknown creepy meat hanging from the roof in Chinatown restaurants.
Four of my favorite foods:
- Carrot cake
Four TV shows I watch:
- Modern Family
- Mad Men (When it’s in season of course.)
- Million Dollar Listing (I like all of them and hear a San Francisco one is coming soon.)
- Orange is the New Black (When it’s in season of course.)
Four things I’m looking forward to this year:
- Traveling to San Diego for the first time this Thanksgiving.
- My birthday in December at home in Florida.
- Christmas at home in Florida with my family.
- Making a big decision that is looming over me and then celebrating it! (Ohhh so cryptic, but you’ll find out soon.)
Four things I’m always saying:
- Medium. (To describe how I feel about something: Not good, not bad, but medium.)
- I’m tired. (After teaching classes, working out and walking the hills of San Francisco.)
- Where should we go for dinner? (The very tough question we ask ourselves a lot.)
- Okey dokey. (I’m not as cool as you may think.)
Four people I tag to answer these questions:
Just tagging a few fellow bloggers, in case these ladies want to answer the survey too.
That concludes my very random post today, so I’ll see you guys all back here tomorrow for “Friday Favorites.”
Questions of the day
What are four places you’ve lived? What’s something that you’ve been saying lately? Do we share any of these facts? If not, tell me a fact about you.