TGIF! Where did this week go? Because Monday was a little bit of a holiday, it seems like this week just flew by. As I mentioned a couple of days ago, Dave and I are in moving mode. We have boxes everywhere and are currently existing in a small space that isn’t super comfortable. This time next week, everything we own will be on a truck heading to our next place, so not long to go in this state of disorder. Never have I “counted down the days” quite like this.
Before I get to my “Friday Favorites” selections, thought I’d catch up with you on some happenings. Last night, I subbed a BODYPUMP class, and I must say, I’m still thinking that the latest BODYPUMP 92 release has some of the most challenging tracks in a long time. I’ll do a full review soon, but wow, it’s a workout. With my teaching class-load a bit lighter right now, I really miss having multiple BODYATTACK classes a week. I went from teaching three down to one in an instant due to scheduling, and that’s uncool. But, I think I’ve got a couple new classes secured starting in February, so fingers crossed for that. Today, after finishing up some work, I’m going to an outdoor yoga class, which I’m pretty excited about. This weekend? Well outside of Dave working a lot, we’ve got plans for some moving-related errands and a nice date on Saturday night. And of course, more packing.
Now, let’s get to the good stuff. And forgive me if this isn’t the most riveting collection of faves, but see my reasoning above in the introductory paragraph of this post. Can we still be friends?
My favorite recent meal
I can just hear Dave saying “I told you so” about this one, folks. This is a long story, so let me make it brief. Whenever Dave and I play Scrabble, we bet. I always bet the same thing, and that is if I win, Dave has to come take one of my group fitness classes. Dave always bets the same thing, that is if he wins, he gets to choose the restaurant for dinner, and it’s usually a local pizza place in our neighborhood. Why does he bet that? Because I’ve been avoiding going to this spot. Don’t get me wrong, I LOVE pizza. It’s one of my favorite foods. But for some reason, I have not wanted to go to this one little hole-in-the-wall for a weekend meal. Maybe it’s the fact that there are so many other awesome places we’ve never been, or maybe it’s the fact that he has made such a big deal out of it, so I was enjoying the refusal. Well …
Shown above: A medium Red-Eye pizza topped with pepperoni, roasted red peppers and red onions, a generous pour of red wine and a huge house salad filled with all the good stuff. We finished every bite of food between the two of us.
Uncle Vito’s, an unassuming little pizza joint on the border of Union Square and Nob Hill, is totes amazing. Last Sunday night, Dave and I finally went there for dinner, and it was absolutely a great experience. We had no problem getting a tiny table and had very quick service. Here are the wonderful points about Uncle Vito’s:
- The price is right. I got a small carafe of house wine for $5.75. Do you know one single glass of wine usually costs $11 at most of the places we eat? What a deal.
- The service is quick and efficient. Within seconds, we had menus, water and a waiter ready to take our order. That’s not always the case.
- The smell is divine. Dough, cheese, wonderfulness. Everything you’d expect.
- The price is just so right. Like the cheapest place we’ve ever eaten in San Francisco, including fast casual places.
- The lighting is good. It’s casual. It’s laid back. It’s comfortable.
- The food is on point. We got a huge salad and thick pizza pie, and I couldn’t have loved either of them any more.
- Did I mention a small carafe of house wine was only $5.75?
San Franciscans, I know we’ve got a lot of uber-cool restaurants and so it’s hard to devote a night to a place like Uncle Vito’s. But you won’t be sorry. You won’t. Oh, and I’m pretty sure we’re going back this weekend to try another pie. Yes, Dave was right.
My favorite new sweet
Well we are really on the healthy train today, aren’t we? Sorry about this, but apparently it’s what I’ve been enjoying lately. So this stuff is new. This stuff is dangerous. Even though I already shared a picture of this on Instagram, it is still so incredibly worthy of making it to “Friday Favorites.”
Hot off the presses, Reese’s Spreads are out there, and they’re calling your name.
I got this little tub in the mail to try out as part of the Influenster program. While I wasn’t that excited about receiving it, once I opened it, smelled it and tried it, I quickly realized this was a good score. Actually, I almost wish it hadn’t arrived. This spread has the consistency of a good peanut butter, but tastes like Reese’s. I mean, what more could you ask for? So far I have put it on bananas for a nice little treat, eaten it alone, as well as slathered it on dates. It’s sooo yummy. We’re almost half-way through the tub in just one week’s time. Uh-oh.
My favorite new beverages
I went to a yoga conference on Sunday and came home with a pretty good bag of gifts. My absolute favorite part of the bag was a huge selection of new-to-me Pukka brand teas. I’m not a coffee drinker and drink green tea in the mornings and some afternoons, so I have plenty of opportunities to enjoy a nice hot beverage. I always switch the brands of tea that I drink, and I love trying new flavors. Well as you can imagine, this selection was music to my ears …
Many of the teas are caffeine-free, so I’ve been trying those in the afternoon. My favorites so far are the Pukka Mint Green Tea and the Pukka Revitalise, Organic Cinnamon and Ginger Tea, both of which have caffeine. So hearty, flavorful and delicious. I’ll be working my way through this bag for the next few weeks, but suffice to say, I’m now a fan of Pukka teas.
My current favorite service
Do you have a Craigslist story? I feel like a lot of people do. My Craigslist story? I love to use it , and I’m a sales shark on there. I’ve sold thousands-of-dollars of stuff in my lifetime on Craigslist. And this week, I added to that total.
Hey, there’s Dave! This is an old photo from the summer on a night we had a little wine and cheese get-together with friends. But it shows you our living room, so that was the only point of bringing it back.
I sold that couch, those green pillows and the area rug in the span of two days on Craigslist. We are planning to get new furniture in our next place, so it was time to part with what we had. It’s been good to us these two-and-a-half years in the City, but with a larger place, comes larger furniture. Nonetheless, Craigslist makes it so darn easy to sell things. I’d like to think I can write a pretty good ad (being that I was once a professional copywriter and all), and I’ve had nothing but success unloading things over the years — almost always for my asking price too. Before Dave and I moved from Orlando, I sold lamps, a grill, a bedroom set, a living room set and even some random decor through various transactions. I have so much fun selling stuff. Must go. Like new. Pick up only. Cash only. Email with questions. That’s how it’s done.
My favorite links and reads
And before you go, just a few good reads from A Lady Goes West that I hope you didn’t miss …
- Yoga and workouts – What I learned at Yoga Journal LIVE! in San Francisco
- An amazing day in wine country – Two VIP wine-tasting experiences in Napa Valley
- Food pictures and a recipe – Must-try veggie pasta tip and my eats
- Healthy living and vitamins – The one thing I’ve always done to be healthy
And this one I wrote for the Wine Sisterhood blog, which I think you’ll like – Healthy Girlfriend Date Ideas for a New Year. New You.
Okay, my friends! Have a fabulous weekend. And check me out on Instagram to see if I have anything fun to share before I see you back here on Monday. TTYL! (Yes, I started and ended this post with acronyms. What has the world come to?)
Read more Friday Favorites
- A snack, a purse and a ritual
- A delivery, a bra and a guy
- A sweet, a wine and a read
- A drink, a gadget and a plan
- A time, a bottle and a powder
- San Francisco edition
- Beauty edition
- Beach vacation edition
- Hidden meanings
- Kicks, a book and a bowl
- The very best sweatshirts
- Party hosting and froyo
- Fourth of July daytime activity
- Beauty basics edition
- Workplace edition
- Shopping, sales and a show
- The foods I always buy
- Sushi, a game and pants
- Fitness apps
- Delicious and healthy products
- Comfort, fitness and function
- Beauty, buddha and blog events
- Dining, the city and gift ideas
- POPSUGAR, sweets and such
- A bunch of fun stuff
- e-book, food, picnic and tunes
- A link, a superfood and a mask
- Pants, shoes, food and links
- Dining, protein and goodies
- Shopping, events and a book
- A gym bag, pumpkin and juices
- Workout gear, a top and a massage
- prAna, a watch, tea and more
- Tasty stuff and gift sales
- Decor, bars, boots and a drink
- Flowers, music and more
- Coqueta, a brush and food
- My people and the holidays
- Beauty, bling and entertainment
- A hodge-podge of goodies
- Just a few special things
Questions of the day
What’s on your agenda for the weekend? Do you have any favorites to share? Coffee or tea? Craigslist?