Happy Friday! It’s been one week since moving day, and I’m so happy to be in my new place. As you can imagine, there’s been a lot of rearranging, decorating and some shopping involved to get set up. For the next few weeks, as I continue to work on each room, I’ll probably be talking about home stuff a lot. In fact, it’s much (but not all) of the focus of today’s weekly “Friday Favorites.”
I’m trying to do things little-by-little so as not to break the bank. And I still have quite a bit to buy. Here’s my current shopping list:
- Area rug for the living room
- Small table for the entryway
- Bathmat, towels and decor for the guest bathroom
- Desk, shelves, pull-out couch and decor for the office/guest bedroom
- Grill for the patio (Dave gets to pick that one out)
- Various trinkets and wall hangings
That being said, if you have any recommendations for great places to shop for any of the above, feel free to leave them in the comments. Dave and I ended up buying a couch from La-Z-Boy after searching far and wide, and we’re very happy with the purchase.
Now let’s get to business …
My latest “Friday Favorites”
Because it’s the last day of the work-week for many, I like to spend time showcasing a few little things that have been making me smile, to keep it easy and light around here. And as you’ve guessed, most of this is related to my recent move.
My favorite new pillow
When Dave came home and saw this one, he laughed at the addition. He also remarked at how heavy it is. But I’m a firm believer that even a unisex bedroom can use a little sparkle, so this baby is on our bed.
I got this Calvin Klein pillow from HomeGoods on clearance, after finding it tucked in the back of a display. Yes, I take the throw pillows off the bed each night, placing them neatly on the floor. Then, in the morning, I make the bed as soon as I’ve gotten up, rearranging the pillows just as I’ve shown above. It’s a bit of an obsession.
My favorite new activity
My true number-one favorite of the week is my new car. I love every single thing about it, and I especially love that it gives me the freedom to go where I please and enjoy something pretty ordinary …
I am so in happy to be able to listen to music while driving in the car. I know, how sad, right? But I was a pedestrian in San Francisco for so long that I didn’t ever get the chance to indulge in this little luxury except for the few times I used Dave’s car on the weekends without him. My current favorite tune, shown above, is Pitbull and Ne-Yo’s “Time Of Our Lives.” Outside of jamming to that, I’ve been listening to Hits 1 and Y2Kountry on Sirius. And yes, I turn it up very, very loud.
My favorite at-home workout
The new place where Dave and I are living is a three-story townhome. The bottom level has a garage and some closet space, the second level has a very small patio, kitchen and living room, and the top level has two bedrooms and two bathrooms. That being said, there are many stairs in this house.
Each flight has 17 stairs, so if you go from the bottom to the top, you’ve gotten in 34. After moving day, my calves were incredibly sore from all of the ups-and-downs. Even though we had to take a few flights of stairs to get into our last apartment in the city, once we were inside our home, the space was small and that was it for movement. So I really like having this little in-home workout. And I just may create a fun routine to share with you, in case you’ve got some stairs around as well.
My favorite find from moving
If you’ve been reading A Lady Goes West for a while, you know that I used to wear an UP24 band to track my steps and sleep. Well back in the fall, I thought I had lost the band at the gym while teaching a class. Lo and behold, guess what showed up during our move? It must have been lodged in between drawers in my dresser somehow, because it reappeared magically.
Nonetheless, I charged up this little beauty and popped it back on my arm. It’s fun to be back to tracking how far I walk and how long I’ve been sleeping. I find this tracker completely accurate. Yay for an old gift being new again!
My favorite new outdoor piece
This is my first time in many years living in a place that can have a welcome mat. After being in city apartments for a very long time, in which residents were not allowed to have anything outside of their doors, I was so excited to be able to put something down in front of the front door.
I bought this welcome doormat from Target on sale for $10. Once again, I don’t think Dave is thrilled with this fairly feminine choice. But a happy heart seems very welcoming to me. Wouldn’t you agree?
My favorite reads of the week
In case you haven’t been around this week, here is some of the good stuff that appeared on A Lady Goes West, including the following:
- Weekend and fitness recaps — Moving and a different week of workouts
- An example of what I do in the gym — A total-body sculpting workout for you
- Big news and food — What a difference a week makes and my eats
- Health care information — PSA: What you need to know about health care
And check out my advice and quote in this article on Fitness Republic, “Work Out In As Little 20 Minutes — No Gym Required.”
That’s it for today!
Ready for the weekend
Today, I’m teaching an early morning BODYATTACK at a new gym, getting some work done and looking forward to a relaxing weekend. We don’t have too many plans, outside of Dave golfing in a tournament tomorrow and going to a Grammy-watching party on Sunday night. I’m pretty sure we’ll also be getting sushi at one point too. But hey, you never know. TGIF, party people. Enjoy yourselves!
Read more Friday Favorites
- A snack, a purse and a ritual
- A delivery, a bra and a guy
- A sweet, a wine and a read
- A drink, a gadget and a plan
- A time, a bottle and a powder
- San Francisco edition
- Beauty edition
- Beach vacation edition
- Hidden meanings
- Kicks, a book and a bowl
- The very best sweatshirts
- Party hosting and froyo
- Fourth of July daytime activity
- Beauty basics edition
- Workplace edition
- Shopping, sales and a show
- The foods I always buy
- Sushi, a game and pants
- Fitness apps
- Delicious and healthy products
- Comfort, fitness and function
- Beauty, buddha and blog events
- Dining, the city and gift ideas
- POPSUGAR, sweets and such
- A bunch of fun stuff
- e-book, food, picnic and tunes
- A link, a superfood and a mask
- Pants, shoes, food and links
- Dining, protein and goodies
- Shopping, events and a book
- A gym bag, pumpkin and juices
- Workout gear, a top and a massage
- prAna, a watch, tea and more
- Tasty stuff and gift sales
- Decor, bars, boots and a drink
- Flowers, music and more
- Coqueta, a brush and food
- My people and the holidays
- Beauty, bling and entertainment
- A hodge-podge of goodies
- Just a few special things
- Tasty food, drinks and moving
- A bunch of feel-good stuff
Questions of the day
What are you planning to do this weekend? Where do you get your decorating inspiration? If you have Sirius radio, what are your favorite stations?