Hi, friends! Welcome back to the blog for our usual Monday chatter about weekend happenings and workouts. So this weekend had its ups and its downs. As far as the downs are concerned, not only were we hoping for a Golden State Warriors win on Friday night in Cleveland to take home the NBA Finals title, which didn’t happen (they have another chance tonight), but also, Dave and I got some disappointing news on Saturday on something else we’ve been working on. (More to come!) But today is a new day, so let’s be positive and talk about the highlights!
Birthday party, baby registering and dinner out on Saturday
Friday night was uneventful. After teaching Bootybarre, I stayed home with Rudy, made a nice pasta dinner for myself, had some ice cream and watched the Warriors game, while Dave was away in Cleveland, so we’ll get going right off the bat with the next day. (Although I will say that a night at home with Rudy and ice cream is nothing to complain about!)
On Saturday, Dave and I went over to our friends’ house for an adorable “twinkle twinkle little star” themed first birthday for a little girl. All of our East Bay friends were there, and we chatted with the big group, enjoyed some delicious food (including mini star-shaped peanut butter and jelly sandwiches) and had a great time. It was a perfect little party on a beautiful day in Walnut Creek.
(Smiling at 22 weeks with a cupcake in hand and wearing the BEST ever maternity dress, which you will definitely be seeing a lot of this summer.)
After the party, Dave and I made an exciting trip to Buy Buy Baby to work on our baby registry. I had spent quite a bit of time online leading up to our appointment researching the things that we need, including reading reviews on the different brands, and I even polled some of my friends for their favorite baby items. I will say that registering for a new baby is not as fun as registering for your wedding, because the things you need are much more functional. Diaper rash cream, anyone? Yay.
We were there about 90 minutes and decided on a stroller, car seat, and a bunch of other essentials. From the outset, it seems that baby stuff is super expensive, and there’s much more variety for baby girls than baby boys in the decor and clothing department. Nonetheless, we actually enjoyed picturing some of the things that we’ll need for our little guy, and we both felt super accomplished after walking out of there with a full registry. We still need to figure out how we want to decorate the nursery, but we’re off to a good start with the other necessities. And I’ll say that after an extremely tiring 24-hour trip to Cleveland the day before, Dave was a major trooper on our registry mission!
That afternoon, we took a little nap at home, then went out for a quick dinner at True Food Kitchen. I ordered the grass-fed burger with sweet potatoes, and it was pretty good. I’m on a burger roll with this pregnancy, that is for sure.
Airport trip and an amazing lunch at California Pizza Kitchen on Sunday
Sunday was a great day because Dave’s Dad flew in from San Diego to stay with us for a couple of nights (and go to game 5 of the NBA Finals in Oakland at Oracle Arena). We picked him up from the San Francisco Airport in the morning and spent the rest of the day hanging out. We took Rudy on a long walk on the trail together, watched some TV and also had an epic lunch.
My friends at the newish California Pizza Kitchen in Walnut Creek reached out and invited me to come in to try out some of their new seasonal menu items for the summer, and I was very happy to do it. Dave and his Dad (who is also named Dave), were eagerly along for the ride. And here’s one of the Daves …
We had the perfect table outside on a nice day and enjoyed food and conversation for about two hours. Every single thing that we ate was delicious, and we even had a bunch of leftovers to take home and nibble on later, which is always a win in my book.
I’ve been to the CPK in Walnut Creek a handful of times, and I’ve always had such great service and food. I love that the menu is diverse (way more than just pizza), but not so overwhelming that you don’t know what to get. And there are definitely some healthy items, if you’re keeping it clean. Here’s what we had …
- The cucumber reviver beverage, which is non-alcoholic and totally delicious. It has pureed pineapple, cucumber, mint, agave sour and club soda. I have NEVER been a mocktail type of gal and have been sticking to water since pregnant, so this refreshingly mint beverage was perhaps the greatest thing I’ve tasted in a long time and was a treat to my palate. The guys liked theirs too!
- Spicy buffalo cauliflower appetizer. It had a little kick at the end, but wasn’t overly spicy. I liked it, but buffalo and ranch is not my favorite flavor combination. I had a couple bites and let the guys finish this one off.
- The banh mi power bowl, the Santa Fe power bowl and the lemongrass chicken — three new items from the seasonal menu. Okay, now these three items were SO good. I would have been totally happy ordering one of the power bowls for myself and calling it a day for lunch, but of course, we got to try a lot of things. We each had a favorite of the day, and I think mine was the banh mi bowl (with quinoa, kale, cilantro, mint, watermelon radishes, avocado, cucumbers, sesame seeds and grilled chicken). It was fresh, light and the dressing was so good. The dressing came on the side in a little sake shot glass, which was great presentation, so you can choose how much you want to use — and we used it all, obviously. The chicken had a super tasty ginger-type sauce all over it, which was also very good.
- Carne asada pizza. Even though we had had enough food on the table, we couldn’t visit California Pizza Kitchen and not get pizza. So we tried out the new carne asada pizza, which features steak, fire-roasted poblanos, cilantro pesto, onions, mozzarella and home-made salsa. CPK makes a good pizza pie. The crust is light and perfectly cooked. And we did a number on that pizza. So good!
- Strawberry shortcake. And no epic lunch ends without dessert, so we finished up by sharing the strawberry shortcake. And you guys know that outside of my ice cream obsession since becoming pregnant, I’m normally a decadent cheesecake, carrot cake, red velvet cake type of girl, but this strawberry shortcake was right up my alley. It had fresh shortcake biscuit, ice cream, whip cream, strawberries and some home-made lemon zest on top. I mean, come on … If you’re going to eat a big lunch and dessert in the middle of the day, it may as well be one with seasonal fresh fruit, you know? Such a fan!
Needless to say, even without finishing everything, we were all seriously stuffed from our long lunch. And that’s part of the reason why we took a long walk with Rudy later!
Overall, I’ve always enjoyed my meals at CPK, and this one was up there as one of the best. We loved every bite, and we also had some to bring home to eat later, and it was just as good then too. Yay food! And that was pretty much the weekend, friends! 🙂
*Thank you SO much to the folks at CPK for hosting us for a complimentary meal.
My weekly workout recap
And moving on, here are my latest workouts …
At 21 weeks pregnant …
- Monday: Took a one-hour BODYPUMP class, 10 a.m.
- Tuesday: Took a one-hour barre class, 12 p.m.
- Wednesday: Did 20 minutes of power walking on the treadmill, 12 p.m.
- Thursday: Taught a one-hour BODYPUMP class, 8:30 a.m., taught a one-hour Bootybarre class, 5:30 p.m.
- Friday: Taught a one-hour Bootybarre class, 4 p.m.
- Saturday: Rest day
- Sunday: Rest day
Overview of the week of workouts
This past week of workouts was a good one, but as I said in my first half of the second trimester recap, it’s definitely more and more of a struggle to get moving these days as my belly grows and I lose overall fitness. I took two full rest days this weekend, because I felt like I did plenty of activity during the week with six workouts and just didn’t have the motivation to do any more. I usually strive for three resistance sessions, but this past week I only did two. I think at this point, I am just happy that I’m still teaching classes, doing a couple of BODYPUMP sessions and moving around, so I won’t get too hard on myself for not doing enough resistance training once again this week. I’m doing my best!
And friends, I’ve got another giveaway going on over on Instagram, so check that out today!Good food and some workouts by @apstyle ... Click To Tweet
Also, thanks to Meghan for today’s link-up.
Questions of the day
When was the last time you had dessert after lunch?
Do you have any baby registry favorites or advice for us?
How was your weekend?