Happy Friday, party people! Okay, maybe you are not party people yet, but at least we’re just about to start the weekend. Last night, Dave and I went out to dinner with two of our good friends from Orlando, who are visiting for the weekend. After showing them our little apartment, we all walked to an Italian restaurant, Trattoria Contadina, not too far from our house. Good times were had, as well as some red wine and pasta. Yummy!
Okay folks, let’s get right to it. It’s Friday, which means I like to share some unrelated random things that are making me smile lately. I hope you enjoy … and I hope you don’t judge.
My favorite new casual tee
I had to laugh when I opened this present from Dave on Christmas Day, because I thought he had this shirt specially made for me. I kid you not, this is an exact saying that I’ve used before. Dave works for a basketball team, he loves sports and ESPN is constantly on in our little apartment whenever he’s home. That being said, I like to pretend I have no idea what’s going on in the sports world and will often ask if the basketball players scored a “touchdown” just for fun. Well, this shirt explains it all. I’m a fan, and I always cheer for whoever Dave wants to win, while sitting next to him on the couch scrolling through Instagram, but I’m not exactly die-hard.
One of the funnier gifts I received this year, the Hooray Sports T-Shirt.
The best part of this gift is that Dave only had a paper print-out of the shirt in the box when I unwrapped it. He ordered the shirt online, and sadly, it didn’t make it in time for our Florida departure for the holidays. It’s now in my possession, although I haven’t worn it yet. I think it’s going to make its debut on the streets of San Francisco very soon. Hooray sports!
My favorite new tasty food
These veggie burgers are all that and a bag of chips. I haven’t bought veggie burgers in years, mostly because I hated the taste of them when I’ve tried other brands before. Something about the packaging of these drew me in, I purchased them, and boy, I’m glad I did. I went through a pack of four this week and already bought a second pack.
Tasty, convenient and pretty darn healthy, here are Dr. Praeger’s California Veggie Burgers.
If you saw my “What I Ate Wednesday” post this week, you’ll see I had a veggie burger along with some eggs and veggies for lunch this week. These things are easily microwavable (which is why I chose them), and the ingredients are pretty clean for a pre-made patty. Here are some details:
- GMO free
- No saturated fat
- 110 calories per burger
- Ingredients: carrots, onions, string beans, oat bran, soybeans, zucchini, peas, broccoli, corn, soy flour, spinach, pressed canola oil, red peppers, arrowroot, corn starch, garlic, corn meal, salt, parsley and black pepper
- Only 5 grams of protein per burger, but you can add other protein on the side
I picked these up at Trader Joe’s in the freezer section, and I’m sure I will eat them nearly every day obsessively over the next few weeks until I’m sick of them. Sounds like a plan to me.
My favorite way to clean
Do you love to clean out your drawers and closets as much as I do? Nothing beats that feeling of purging things you don’t need and giving them away. Even though Dave and I are good at living minimally in our little space (and have gotten rid of so much over the course of the last few years before relocating), we still seem to accumulate t-shirts, junk and things, none of which should make the move with us into our next new place.
Therefore, on Saturday, Dave and I went through all of our clothing and toys and filled up these bags. That same afternoon, we dropped it all off at Goodwill. And I loved that feeling. I know there are plenty of places to donate clothes, and I’d be interested to look into more. But in the effort of efficiency, we went with Goodwill, picked up a little tax form and got right back into our car.
My favorite beauty splurge
So don’t laugh at me. I see a lot of people out there claiming that there are miracle products that help their hair or nails grow longer and faster, and I’ve never bought into any of it. Well, desperate times call for desperate measures. You see, around the time I got married, my eyebrows went through a phase of over-waxing. Yes, they got a little too thin, and it has been very hard growing them back. I dream of having big bushy eyebrows, but they only grow in very light and thin. A couple of months ago before a trip to Florida (I always get all cleaned up before I head east for a visit), when I was seeing a fancy eyebrow lady with high reviews on Yelp, she suggested a product that is supposed to help your eyebrow hair grow in thicker called eyebrow conditioner. I didn’t believe it. But because I so badly wanted to see the change, I decided to take a leap of faith and ordered the product.
Just one little tube of this RevitaBrow Eyebrow Conditioner has been a game-changer for me.
I swear to you, after putting this potion on my eyebrows daily for about a month (which comes out much like mascara), I’m really seeing new little hairs pop up in places that were previously blank. No, I do not have the bushy eyebrows of my dreams, but I’m getting closer to normal. This stuff isn’t exactly a bargain, and when I clicked “purchase” online a little bit of my cheap-self died inside, but I’m now quite glad I did it. I didn’t even think to take before and after pictures, so you’ll have to take my word for it.
My favorite songs of the week
These two jams just make me want to bop around, so much so that I have to share them with you. Have you heard these two?
- This singer says what I wish I could when someone offers me another slice of cheesecake. Andy Grammer — Honey, I’m Good.
- This guy is just so darn talented, and it’s impossible not to dance to this one. Just ask Dave, I’ve got this dance learned to perfection (or at least in my eyes, it’s perfection). Mark Ronson and Bruno Mars — Uptown Funk.
My favorite links of the week
Here are some good things from A Lady Goes West this week, in case you missed a post or two:
- Sneakers and fitness — My new ASICS kicks, a full-body workout idea and my weekly workout recap, all in one post. And yes, I wore the sneakers to teach BODYPUMP twice this week, and they were a dream on my tootsies.
- Online workouts and a giveaway — There’s still time to enter to win a month of unlimited online workouts, so check out Online workout giveaway and Gigabody review. I plan to do a yoga class online today from the comfort of my tiny living room.
- Technology and food — This one was popular, so I guess there are a lot of Mac users out there who need a little help. See A different kind of training and my eats.
- Yoga with weights — While this is a San Francisco yoga studio review, there are CorePower Yoga studios all over. Check out CorePower Yoga is hot, hot, hot.
And one more thing. I was quoted on The Huffington Post! This is an article that originally ran on The Active Times a few weeks ago, and it showed up on my feed again this week on HuffPost. Yay! You’ve got to love content sharing.
Okay, everybody! I’m off to get the day going. Tonight, I have another girlfriend date (Dave’s busy work schedule has done wonders for my social life with my lady friends), a free and easy Saturday, and I’m teaching an outdoor bootcamp in a park on Sunday morning. Have a lovely weekend, friends! Check me out on Instagram, to see if I wear that fabulous shirt out and about.
Read more Friday Favorites
- A snack, a purse and a ritual
- A delivery, a bra and a guy
- A sweet, a wine and a read
- A drink, a gadget and a plan
- A time, a bottle and a powder
- San Francisco edition
- Beauty edition
- Beach vacation edition
- Hidden meanings
- Kicks, a book and a bowl
- The very best sweatshirts
- Party hosting and froyo
- Fourth of July daytime activity
- Beauty basics edition
- Workplace edition
- Shopping, sales and a show
- The foods I always buy
- Sushi, a game and pants
- Fitness apps
- Delicious and healthy products
- Comfort, fitness and function
- Beauty, buddha and blog events
- Dining, the city and gift ideas
- POPSUGAR, sweets and such
- A bunch of fun stuff
- e-book, food, picnic and tunes
- A link, a superfood and a mask
- Pants, shoes, food and links
- Dining, protein and goodies
- Shopping, events and a book
- A gym bag, pumpkin and juices
- Workout gear, a top and a massage
- prAna, a watch, tea and more
- Tasty stuff and gift sales
- Decor, bars, boots and a drink
- Flowers, music and more
- Coqueta, a brush and food
- My people and the holidays
- Beauty, bling and entertainment
Questions of the day
What’s one thing you have planned for the weekend? Do you have any miracle beauty products to share with me? What’s your favorite song as of late?