Happy Friday! This was a strange week, wasn’t it? When you have a holiday in the middle of the week, it’s easy to get off-track with your days, and yesterday seemed like Sunday to me. But I’m not complaining, I’ve enjoyed nearly every minute of all the festivities the past couple of weeks.
Nonetheless, here we are into the second day of the year, and it just so happens to fall on my favorite weekly post to write: “Friday Favorites.” Throughout the week, you can usually find some planned-out content with substance here on A Lady Goes West, but today is not one of those days. Fridays are all about showing you a few fun things that are making me smile, so I hope you enjoy. Everything shown in today’s favorites, I picked up during my Christmas trip to Florida, except for the links at the end. And do me a favor, if you have a moment, watch the videos! Here we go …
My favorite beauty tool
Thanks to my Mom, I’m now the proud owner of a new curling wand. Although I knew that these things existed, I hadn’t tried one until Thanksgiving in San Diego. Dave’s little sister had one, and I used it to do my hair for Thanksgiving Day. I fell in love with the fact that there is no clamp, so you wrap pieces of your hair around the wand yourself. It’s actually easier to use than a curling iron and gives a nice tight curl.
Shown above from top left to right: The Conair YOU CURL Curling Wand, the handy little finger protectors that come with the wand and a picture of my hair curled on Thanksgiving Day.
So get this: I have naturally curly hair, which I get straightened via a Keratin treatment every few months. Then, once my hair is straight, I use curling irons or wands like this to recurl it. Makes no sense, right? Well, in a way it does. I haven’t worn my natural curls in many years, and I really don’t ever plan to go back. These tools help me get the right look, it just happens to take a couple of steps to get there.
My favorite mall kiosk find
For the past few years, my iPhone has been covered with several versions of a safe and sturdy Speck-brand case. While yes, Speck makes a great case, I tend to like things a little flashier. The last day that Dave and I were in Florida, after we had lunch with some of my girlfriends in the food court (which was exactly one week ago), I stopped at a cell-phone case kiosk and made this purchase.
The many angles of my new DeBari Crystaria case from Cellairis.
You could say this is a little tacky, but you’d be wrong. The sales person told me it was made from “almost” Swarovski crystals. Which obviously means, not Swarovski crystals. But whatever. At first she said the case cost $50, but somehow I talked her down to $30. That made me think I got a steal. What do you think?
My favorite old-school entertainment
Books. Real life books. I haven’t done a whole lot of reading the past year-and-a-half, outside of buying books at airports and reading them on the plane. But that’s all about to change. I plan to spend more time with a good book in my hand in 2015. And of course, leave it to my Mom to choose some great books as Christmas gifts for me, without me even asking for them or mentioning I want to read more.
Have you read any of these? I’m currently reading a different Nicholas Sparks book, which I bought at the airport on the way to Florida, and it’s very good. I hope to start one of these new titles this month. There’s something very therapeutic about losing yourself in fiction. And being away from technology for a few hours at a time? Always a good plan.
My favorite video clips of the week
Okay, full disclosure: Dave and I decided to stay home and lay low for New Year’s Eve this year. In addition to making some great food and drinks, we also spent a lot of time watching YouTube, up on our big-screen TV. We watched a lot of hilarious videos, but we also watched some really enjoyable videos that are worth sharing. If you’re anything like me, you always skip over these kind of links, but you won’t be disappointed with these two.
- I’ve always loved Taylor Swift, and this video shows what a wonderful person she really is. “Taylor Swift Gift Giving 2014.”
- Music and household items. So clever. You’ll want to watch this one more than once. “Hits of 2014. Played on Household items.”
My favorite links of the week
If you haven’t had the chance to stay up-to-date with A Lady Goes West this week, here’s what you missed …
- My weekly workouts and a Plyo DVD class review — Back in the City and my workouts
- My year in review — A look back at all the happenings of 2014
- Behind-the-scenes of A Lady Goes West — Top blog posts, reader stats and my food
- First post of 2015 — Happy New Year and my goals for 2015
Okay, everybody, there you go! Tonight, I have a date with a girlfriend for some wine, a free and clear Saturday tomorrow, and Dave and I have his re-scheduled work holiday party on Sunday night.
I hope you have a great Friday! I’ll be checking in on Instagram, so join me there. Otherwise, I’ll be back on Monday for some talk about fitness. Enjoy the first weekend of the year!
Read more Friday Favorites
- A snack, a purse and a ritual
- A delivery, a bra and a guy
- A sweet, a wine and a read
- A drink, a gadget and a plan
- A time, a bottle and a powder
- San Francisco edition
- Beauty edition
- Beach vacation edition
- Hidden meanings
- Kicks, a book and a bowl
- The very best sweatshirts
- Party hosting and froyo
- Fourth of July daytime activity
- Beauty basics edition
- Workplace edition
- Shopping, sales and a show
- The foods I always buy
- Sushi, a game and pants
- Fitness apps
- Delicious and healthy products
- Comfort, fitness and function
- Beauty, buddha and blog events
- Dining, the city and gift ideas
- POPSUGAR, sweets and such
- A bunch of fun stuff
- e-book, food, picnic and tunes
- A link, a superfood and a mask
- Pants, shoes, food and links
- Dining, protein and goodies
- Shopping, events and a book
- A gym bag, pumpkin and juices
- Workout gear, a top and a massage
- prAna, a watch, tea and more
- Tasty stuff and gift sales
- Decor, bars, boots and a drink
- Flowers, music and more
- Coqueta, a brush and food
- My people and the holidays
Questions of the day
What’s something good you’ve bought or found lately? What are you up to this weekend? Do you have any great YouTube video finds worth sharing?