Hi, my friends! We’re almost halfway through the work-week, and I hope there are some good things going in your world. Before we talk about food for “What I Ate Wednesday,” please indulge me as I ramble …
Last night, after I got home from teaching BODYPUMP, I walked in the door to an empty dark house and threw down my heavy gym bag (Dave was working late at a game). I sat at the kitchen table (which currently doubles as my desk) and started scrolling through Instagram. Seeing as it was Cinco de Mayo, I saw a ton of photos of people out to eat enjoying margaritas, chips and guacamole, socializing and kicking back. While I “liked” many of those pictures, I realized I wasn’t jealous, because going out on a weeknight just isn’t normal for me these days, as a group fitness instructor who is at the gym late most evenings. In fact, many things that others consider normal, just aren’t normal for me. And I’m completely positive that there are a ton of things in my life that aren’t even slightly normal for others. So ladies and gentlemen, that brings me to the topic at hand. What’s your normal? And do you think your normal coincides with the normal of other people?
Different strokes for different folks
Here are a few things that are totally “normal” to me:
- Eating a full sit-down dinner at the table as late as 9 p.m. most nights
- Taking at least two showers a day, sometimes three
- Touching sweaty people while they work out and not getting grossed out by it
- Talking to my Mom on the phone sometimes more than once-a-day
- Making at home or bringing all of my meals with me every single day, only eating out or purchasing food out about two times-a-week, which happens on the weekends
- Fluffing the pillows and making the bed every single morning
- Doing laundry twice-a-week, just to have enough clean workout clothes available
- Digging into a big breakfast right after waking up most days
- Having a few glasses of wine and an indulgent dinner out on Saturday nights and not feeling even slightly bad about it — it’s just what I do, and I look forward to it
- Checking my email, Facebook, Instagram and Twitter several times-an-hour
- Screaming at the top of my lungs on a microphone several times-a-day
- Sharing too much information about my life online in a blog
- Thinking about my next meal, before I’ve even finished the meal at hand
Things that are not normal to me?
Going to the movies. (I have only been maybe once in the past two years.) Getting take-out food. (I want to eat food I make at home or eat at a restaurant. That’s that.) Caring for plants, animals or children. (I’m enough to handle for now.) Reading digital books. (Just never tried that whole “Kindle” thing.) Watching TV in bed. (No TV in the bedroom for us!) Playing sports. (Nope.) Staying up past midnight. (Well, every once in a while I can do this.) And I could go on and on …
Life always changes, so my current normal will likely morph as the years go on. But for now, it’s fine with me. And with that, let’s get to the food …
What I Ate Wednesday
In case you’re newish around A Lady Goes West, “What I Ate Wednesday” is something I do every single week, in which I share one full day of my meals. You’ll see a lot of similar food combinations and eating patterns. In fact, I almost always eat three square meals, with two snacks and a protein shake on weekdays. And I repeat foods a lot. But hey, you like what you like.
Today, we’re going to take a look at all of my meals from Monday. On this day, I taught classes at Orangetheory Fitness in the morning, worked on writing projects and the blog mid-day, and then taught BODYATTACK in the evening.
Breakfast at 6 a.m.
Starting the day off right: As usual, a big bowl of overnight oats, topped with a banana and cinnamon. This was enjoyed alongside some hot green tea, sweetened with stevia and vanilla soy milk.
Snack at 11 a.m.
The perfect snack: I love a good flavored Greek yogurt. I tend to bounce between brands, and this “Strawberry and Banana” is one of my favorite flavors from Chobani.
Lunch at 12:30 p.m.
Orange, white and yellow: Not exactly a new meal combination for me — a big baked sweet potato with two fried eggs. I could eat this every single day and not get sick of it. I also had another mug of hot green tea, sweetened with stevia and vanilla soy milk.
Snack at 5 p.m.
Workout fuel: Why, that’s a strange combination, isn’t it? A mineral water, a LUNA protein bar and some CLIF shot bloks. I got both of these LUNA and CLIF products at a LUNA event last month and just love having a good selection of nibblies to dig into. I’m not sure why I have been eating so many bloks, seeing as they are primarily for endurance athletes to get in some quick sugar, but I find them tasty, and I love the texture. So there.
Post-workout protein at 7:45 p.m.
Hydrating protein: I always reach for a flavored protein shake to repair my muscles after a tough sweat session. This one has extra nutrients too, because it contains valuable coconut water for hydration and potassium. Yummy!
Dinner at 8:45 p.m.
Homemade deliciousness: For a long time, Dave and I had “pizza Sundays,” which eventually turned into “taco Sundays,” and have now morphed into “grill Sundays.” Well, the home-made pizza made a return this past Sunday, and it was thick and hearty enough for us to have some leftovers on Monday night too. We made the pizza with wheat dough, mixed cheeses, pizza sauce, peppers, tomatoes and garlic. We enjoyed the pizza alongside some roasted veggies on the second night. This was a quick and wonderful dinner, which will be making an appearance again soon. And yes, I eat my pizza with a fork and knife.
As I always do, to close out my palate for the day, I had a little vanilla soy milk, and then joined Dave on the couch for some Netflix.
More daily eating recaps
Each week, “What I Ate Wednesday” is hosted by Peas and Crayons for bloggers to showcase their eats to the world. If you want to see more food recaps, check out some of my posts from the past here:
- A full day of eating in pictures
- Another full day of my eats and drinks
- Real food isn’t always pretty
- Do you have a balanced dining out strategy?
- What I ate and drank all day
- Three meals, two snacks and a shake
- Food trucks and rest-day eating
- Plenty of protein at every meal
- Colorful fuel for a day of training
- Long days of training require a lot of food
- Making do on “What I Ate Wednesday”
- Healthy foods for a rest day
- Who doesn’t like pictures of food?
- A look at a full day of eating in pictures
- Snapshots from a day of delicious meals
- Pictures of food, because you like them
- Food pictures and the juice cleanse that wasn’t
- A look at what I really eat in a day
- What I ate in the Sunshine State
- My weekend eats and a little narrative
- Stories about food and yesterday’s meals
- A day of eating and some commentary
- Do you want to know what I ate yesterday?
- Healthy challenges and foods from my day
- Eating, napping and eating again
- Filling up on healthy food before the holiday
- A perfect birthday at home and my eats
- Top blog posts, reader stats and my food
- A different kind of training and my food
- Joining a healthy green movement and my eats
- Must-try veggie pasta tip and my eats
- Are you eating this sweet and satisfying fruit?
- What a difference a week makes and my eats
- On Wednesdays we look at pictures of food
- Food, drinks and a very hydrating giveaway
- Front-loading all the healthy this week
- MealEnders giveaway and back to healthy food
- Eating, drinking and sharing the pictures
- I don’t like bad people, I do like good food
- Smart training nutrition tips and my meals
- “What I Ate Wednesday” and a Phenoh 7.4 review
- What my daily meals look like in pictures
- Food pictures from a light and healthy day
- Life lately and a look at all of my meals
And don’t miss my post from yesterday about some cooking I did using the Blue Apron service, because there are plenty more pictures of food in that one.
Questions of the day
What’s the best thing you’ve eaten lately?
What’s something that is totally normal to you but probably not to others?