All about skin and my review of the Beautycounter Countertime skincare line
Hello, hello, beauty! Today, it’s time for a review of the Beautycounter Countertime line, Beautycounter’s newest skincare line, and I’m going to talk about why I’m so glad I finally have a real skincare routine.
My review of the Beautycounter Countertime skincare line
I’ve been waiting a while to write this post and to review the Beautycounter Countertime line, because I wanted to make sure that I was only recommending something that I truly believed in and worked well for me. And the good news is that the Countertime line is awesome. I purchased the full Countertime collection in early July when it launched and started using it regularly in August. I now use it every single day.
(Side note: I’m a Beautycounter consultant, so I got my collection at a reduced price, and if you shop through any of the links below, I’ll earn a commission. Thank you in advance!)
The changes I’ve seen in my skin since using Beautycounter Countertime for a couple months
Let’s get right to the good stuff. Here’s what I’ve noticed about my skin since using Countertime …
- More hydrated all the time: Some areas of my skin run dry, especially because I live in a pretty dry climate. However, I feel like the Countertime products have kept my skin a lot more moist and dewy looking, with or without makeup, all day long.
- Less fine lines: Your girl has fine lines. I’m in my 30s, I have a toddler, I have a very expressive face, and I teach hard workout classes — thus, wrinkles and fine lines are forming all the time. While I cannot say that I don’t have any lines or wrinkles now, I don’t seem to notice them as much around my face now that I’ve been using Countertime. I’m very pleased with that.
- More even skin tone, less redness: I feel like my skin tone is all over more even now, whereas I used to feel like I had redness in some areas. It’s subsided over the past couple of months using Countertime.
- Neck and chest look great: If you’re not applying your facial products to your neck and chest, you’re missing out. Countertime (along with the Beautycounter Overnight Resurfacing Peel) has completely improved the appearance of my chest and neck. My poor chest has some sun damage from growing up in Florida, and that’s still there, but the skin looks as good as it can, freckles and all.
- It feels well cared for: Here’s the funny part — I feel so good about actually spending two minutes in the morning and five minutes at night applying nontoxic products that are all designed to work together. It’s like my skin is happy with me, because it knows I’m treating it right, finally.
- Really good skin in the morning: In the morning, when I look in the mirror just after waking up, my face looks pretty darn good — hydrated, even, and clear. And I haven’t always been able to say that.
Why I’m so glad I’m finally investing in a skincare routine
I’m embarrassed to say that my skincare routine was pretty minimal all the way up until the last year or so when I started using Beautycounter products. Before when I was pregnant, I relied on coconut oil and almond oil for all my skin needs, and it was fine — I still use both of those products for some things. However, once I had Brady, my skin started changing and taking a real beating. That’s when I knew it was time to invest in the products I was putting on my face, because your skin is important.
Now, I can feel good that I’m doing what I can to protect my skin, moisturize it and care for it, so that it stays looking good for many years. I also wear sunscreen, avoid direct sunlight for long amounts of time and eat my veggies and drink a lot of water. All of that combined with quality sleep has helped me to totally fix my skin since those tough early postpartum days when I looked like death on a daily basis. Like, it was really bad for a while.
I don’t have particularly sensitive skin, and I rarely break out, so whatever I’m doing is working for me. My skin is far from perfect, but it’s not something that I worry about at all now, and that’s the best part.
What’s different about the Countertime regimen?
So what makes Countertime different from other skincare products and lines?
Well, it’s nontoxic, of course, and it’s a new innovation from Beautycounter.
It’s supposed to tighten, enlighten and brighten, and it does that without the use of more than 1,500 harmful ingredients on the Beautycounter never list. I won’t even begin to go through the list of chemicals that are NOT in Countertime that you may find in other popular store-bought brands that have been linked to causing health issues, but safe to say, it’s a lot. You can use Countertime if you are pregnant or nursing too.
It doesn’t have retinol, but it has something safer and better.
Retinol is often an active ingredient in a lot skincare lines to get noticeable results — however, retinol isn’t good for the skin, as it breaks down the protective layers, makes you more sensitive to sun exposure and much more.
Countertime’s active ingredient used in place of retinol is Beautycounter’s new Retinatural Complex, which is much safer, but still works (fun fact: you should avoid using retinol products while pregnant). Retinatural Complex is made from bakuchiol and Swiss Alpine rose, which are powerful plants that have no negative side effects. The plants work to reverse signs of aging and provide protection against all the environmental stressors we come across each day. We’re starting to hear a lot more about both of these ingredients, so Beautycounter is sort’ve leading the way here.
A little goes a long way, so it lasts.
You don’t need much of each product when you apply it, because each formula is so concentrated, which means the collection can last you like 10 to 12 weeks. I’ve been using mine for 10 weeks and still have quite a bit left of each thing, so I’ll be going longer than that before needing to restock.
Also, Countertime comes in glass bottles, so the packaging is better for the environment.
And the Countertime products all work together.
So here’s the deal, the Countertime regimen is a set of five products, and it’s a four-step process. Then, the Countertime collection is a set of six products, and it’s a five-step process (the collection has larger bottles and includes the eye cream, so it runs a little more).
What’s also different about Countertime is that there is a primer product you use directly after you wash your face, the Hydrating Essence. It works as a little barrier to help your skin absorb as much product as it can.
And of course, all the products are designed to work together and complement each other, so you get the most bang for your skincare buck by combining them. Whereas, if you use a lot of different products from different brands/lines, some of them may not work so well together.
What comes in the Beautycounter Countertime collection?
(1) Countertime Lipid Defense Cleansing Oil: Inspired by Asian beauty rituals, this luxurious, lightweight cleansing oil gently yet effectively removes makeup and other impurities without stripping essential lipids from the skin. Shop it here.
My thoughts in the cleansing oil: I’ve never cleansed with an oil before, and I love the way it feels. So smooth. This oil is incredibly light-weight in the hands and does a great job of cleaning the makeup off my face. The smell is light, but divine. You can use the cleansing oil morning and night, but I only use it at night. Just a little pump is all you need.
(2) Countertime Mineral Boost Hydrating Essence: Lightweight but deeply nourishing, this milky moisturizing essence delivers vital nutrients to the skin’s moisture barrier—instantly boosting hydration and radiance. Shop it here.
My thoughts on the hydrating essence: From what I understand, this is like the primer, that helps your skin absorb all the product. It’s very light, it smells good — has sea water in it too — and I love to apply it all over my face and neck. It seems to be like a base coat, if you will. You can use this essence after washing your face both morning and night, and I usually do both.
(3) Countertime Tripeptide Radiance Serum: This transformative rejuvenating treatment visibly increases skin firmness and elasticity, while reducing the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles. Shop it here.
My thoughts on the radiance serum: You can just tell this serum is high-quality when you pump a tiny bit onto your fingers. It gets to work on the skin penetrating deeply, helping to ease fine lines, and I love it. It has a crisp, clean smell and it has amino acids in it too. And I’m pretty sure this is the real work-horse of the line, although it comes in the smallest bottle. You can use this serum after applying the essence both morning and night, I use it only at night. You only need 1 to 2 pumps.
(4) Countertime Antioxidant Soft Cream: This velvety revitalizing cream improves skin’s barrier function and boosts hydration, which helps protect it from daily environmental stressors. Shop it here.
My thoughts on the antioxidant soft cream: This is the daytime cream of the Countertime line, and it’s soooo creamy. It acts as a barrier to keep your skin safe from all the things you come across each day. I think it gives me a nice moist, yet bright look. You can use this cream after applying the essence or serum in the morning, and I use it almost every day under my makeup.
(5) Countertime Tetrapeptide Supreme Cream: Supremely rich and deeply hydrating, this cream supports elasticity and visibly firms while smoothing skin texture to minimize the look of fine lines and wrinkles. Shop it here.
My thoughts on the supreme cream: This is the most luxurious and creamy nighttime moisturizer that I’ve ever used. You don’t need much, a little goes a long way, and it is the perfect ending to a nighttime skincare routine. My face loves this, and I wake up feeling really hydrated from it. It has a fresh and crisp smell, that’s quite light and delightful. You can use this cream after applying the serum at night, and I use this every night. (Also, if you can only get one item from the Countertime line due to budget, I’d probably choose this one, along with the daytime cream above.)
(6) Ultra Renewal Eye Cream: This high-performance eye cream revitalizes the eye area and reduces the appearance of under-eye shadows and crow’s feet for a smooth, firmed look. Shop it here.
My thoughts on the eye cream: I know some people love to have eye cream, because the skin around our eyes is so sensitive. However, this eye cream seems very much like the supreme cream to me, so you could probably get away without it. Although, it sure does feel good on the skin. I didn’t start using it right away, so have only been using it the last few weeks, and the skin around my eyes looks good. You can use this cream after applying the serum at night, and I now use this every night.
So there you have it, all six of the products and what you need to know about them, as part of my review of the Beautycounter Countertime line.
- Here’s the Countertime regimen set, complete with five products.
- Here’s the Countertime collection set, complete with six products.
It literally takes me two minutes in the morning to apply the two products and maybe five minutes at night to apply the four products — definitely a worthy investment of time. BTW, I also use my Overnight Resurfacing Peel, Charcoal Mask and Cleansing Balm about once a week each or so, and I wash my face most days with the Charcoal Bar, if I’m not using the Countertime Cleansing Oil.
You can read more about those products in this post: My top seven Beautycounter products.
Other Beautycounter collections and regimens
Countertime is good for most skin types — with a goal of anti-aging and tightening, but if you have a specific need, there are a few other collections and regimens available …
- Countercontrol is designed to help with oily and blemish-prone skin, but I haven’t tried it personally.
- Countermatch is designed to give moisture adjusted to what your skin needs, so it works well for combination or sensitive skin. It didn’t give me enough moisture, so I like Countertime way more, but I’ve heard from others that they swear by Countermatch. I do happen to love the Countermatch body moisturizer though.
- Nourishing is designed for super sensitive skin, and it’s really light. I tried the cleanser and it seemed safe enough to put on a baby.
- Rejuvenating is designed for fighting aging, and I used this before Countertime. I really liked it, but Countertime makes more of a difference on my skin.
By the way, if you’re wondering what Beautycounter products are right for you, I’ve created this skincare questionnaire you can fill out to get some help on customized recommendations.
Closing thoughts on my review of the Beautycounter Countertime line
I know what you’re thinking — of course she is going to say she loves it, because she sells it. But I promise you that my skin is feeling and looking amazing since using Countertime. The products work well. I know that they are safe and nontoxic. And I also know that when I spend my money with Beautycounter, it’s going to a great company that gives back. You can’t beat that.
I also know that it can be overwhelming to know what to do for your skin and what to use. Choosing to get all my products from Beautycounter makes it simple for me. 🙂
Want to try Countertime?
If you want to order Countertime for yourself, there’s a 60-day money back guarantee. You can send back the unused portion of your products if it doesn’t work for you — no risk. Feel free to let me know if you have any questions at all. If you decide to order, you should also consider signing up as a Beautycounter member to start earning product credit back with your first purchase — that’s credit you can use on future orders.
That’ll do it for now! Have a fabulous day, my friends! I hope your week gets off to a good start. Brady will be at preschool this morning, so I’ll be posted up at a coffee shop with a latte in hand writing away.
P.S. The limited-edition Beautycounter holiday gift sets just launched, so you can look around at those well, and I’ll share more about them soon. Also, thank you so much for supporting this little business of mine. 🙂
Questions of the day
How was your weekend?
What’s your current skincare routine?
What’s your number-one concern with your skin?
I would love to try the Countertime collection because I just turned 30 this summer and know that I need to spend the time to invest in a better and more complete skincare routine and this sounds like a great option. Glad that you’ve had such positive results with the line!
Hi Ashley!! Yessss — wish I had more sense to start proactively taking care of my skin right when I turned 30. You are smart, lady!! 🙂 Have a wonderful start to your week! 🙂
Oh I’m so curious about the other ingredients they use other than Retinol. So good to know! Thanks for the info & review!
Hi India! You are very welcome! It’s a great product — and our poor skin needs something like this to help it along hahaha. Also, retinol is scary, so I’m glad Beautycounter avoids it. Happy Monday, friend!
I purchased the Soft Cream and really love it, and I agree, it left my skin less dry than the Countermatch day cream. I would love to try a sample of the other Countertime products if you still have any available.
Thanks Ashley for this review!
Hi Hannah, it’s so funny how some products work better on some people than others — YES, I way prefer the Soft Cream, and I’m glad you like it too!! Happy Monday, lady!
What’s your number-one concern with your skin?
You need to try the Countercontrol products, Ben! 🙂
Your eye makeup in these pics is fantastic 🙂 I recently got the CounterTime night cream and day cream, dang they are nice! I have definitely noticed reduced redness.
That’s so awesome to hear, lady — it’s great stuff! 🙂 Happy Monday to you!!
I have struggled with finding the right skincare regimen for years and would love to try this product line! I have heard great things about it, so it would be awesome to give it a shot. Thanks for your thorough review! 🙂
Hi Taylor — you’re not alone — it’s hard to find something that works well for your individual skin needs and is also a safer product too! It’s tough out there hehehe. Thank you for reading, lady! 🙂
Are y’all ok after the 4.5 quake? Friends all over the Bay Area felt it, but not me in Berkeley. Hopefully Brady slept thru it!
Hi Nancy! Thanks for asking — we were right near the epicenter — whole house was rattling and it was QUITE scary. We didn’t have any damage and Brady slept through it hehehe. 🙂