Current faves: Good food, a good show and my workouts
Hey, my friends! How are you? How was your week?
My week was pretty good. I taught three classes at Life Time, worked, had a Beautycounter team meeting and training, did a live Peloton ride with some friends (it was a Disney ride with my favorite instructor, Cody Rigsby, and it was awesome), and that’s about it.
We don’t have big plans this weekend, but next week, we are off to the Florida Keys with my family. It will be a nice trip, but also a difficult one, because we’re having a long-overdue memorial for my dad, in his favorite place. More on that to come.
Let’s keep it light right now and do the faves for the week, starting with this shot of Brady and me at the pool last weekend. We’ve been trying to go to the pool once a week when we’re around, and it’s such a good family activity. Just another perk of Charlotte living, because we sure didn’t have this in the Bay Area …
(Here are my sunglasses, and here’s a similar hat, because mine is sold out.)
“Physical” on Apple+ TV
We had a year of Apple+ TV for free because I bought a new MacBook last year that came with the subscription. And when it came time to finally pay for it this month (we are hooked, because of all the good shows on it), I found out it was only $4.99 a month to continue and was pleasantly surprised. Some of the series we’ve watched on Apple+ have been incredible and absolutely worth paying for.
(Image source: Apple.)
Anywho, back to this show, “Physical.” Now this was definitely a different show, and I think it was really good. The star of the show is Rose Byrne (who you may remember as Helen in “Bridesmaids”), and she does an incredible job in this 10-episode series on Apple+ TV. There are some hard things to watch on this show, because Byrne’s character deals with an eating disorder, and she also deals with a loud inner critic that we can hear in the show. (She talks down to herself, and it’s so sad, but also hits home for a lot of us, I bet.)
I won’t share too much, but Byrne is a housewife in San Diego in the 1980’s, and she’s unhappy, and she’s dealing with a lot of personal issues. She finds aerobics (before aerobics was a popular thing), and it totally changes her life. (And even though it’s an ENTIRELY different situation, I can say that group fitness changed the trajectory of my life too, so I like that the show brings that type of catalyst to the screen.)
The first season is about her finding aerobics, supporting her husband in a political campaign and finding her voice, if you will. Dave watched it with me, and we cringed at some strange stuff, but definitely enjoyed it over all. It’s not totally a comedy, but it’s not totally a drama. It just is what it is. I look forward to the next season.
This avo/salmon/egg meal from First Watch
I think I could eat this every day for forever and be happy. Avocado toast on thick whole grain bread, with smoked salmon and two eggs. So simple. So tasty. So filling. Good work, First Watch.
We’ve been going to First Watch the last four weekends for lunch, and it never disappoints. By the way, the avocado toast is on the menu, but I asked for the smoked salmon as an addition.
This is something I could easily recreate at home, and I think I will.
Good Culture organic cottage cheese
I was first introduced to this brand of cottage cheese at an IDEA World Fitness Convention in Southern California more than two years ago. As the name implies, Good Culture is good stuff. It’s quality stuff too.
I bought some the other day and was quickly reminded why I love cottage cheese. It tastes delicious, and it’s full of valuable protein too. I put it on a baked sweet potato twice, and I ate it alone with sea salt and pepper on it once too. I will be getting more.
I feel like this part always needs a disclaimer, especially if you’re new around here.
This section of the post is where I share all the workouts I did the previous week. I want to remind you that I do more than the average person, because I’m a group fitness instructor, and it’s part of my job.
For most people, a 30-minute workout several times a week is totally sufficient. Just stay consistent and move your body in ways that feel good to you.
And here’s a post that may be helpful for you: “How to schedule your week of workouts.”
- Monday: Taught 1-hour full-body barbell workout at Life Time, 9:45 a.m.
- Tuesday: Taught 1-hour barre class with light weights at Life Time, 9:45 a.m.
- Wednesday: 20-minute walk/run intervals on treadmill via Peloton, 11 a.m.
- Thursday: Taught 45-minute full-body weights/cardio class at Life Time, 10 a.m.
- Friday: Taught 1-hour barre class with light weights at Life Time, 10 a.m.
- Saturday: Took 45-minute lower-body weights workout at Life Time, 8:30 a.m.
- Sunday: Rest day
This past week was very class heavy, and I only did one solo workout. I have to admit, I’m okay with that right now. I am enjoying teaching and taking classes at Life Time so much, it feels fine to fill up my schedule with them. Every once in a while, I think about where I was this time last year, and remember just how much I missed live group fitness. Dang! Anywho, this past week had weights, cardio and a full rest day, so we’ll call it complete.
A Lady Goes West favorite products
There are certain brands that I swear by in my own life, and so I like to share them with you. If you choose to try them too, and if you use my links or promo codes, you will be supporting me. Thanks for that!
- Carbon38. I’m always wearing stuff from here, and it’s the coolest activewear around. Get 15 percent off your first two orders of $100 or more using the code ASHLEYPITT.
- G2G protein bars. I love these tasty and minimal-ingredient protein bars. You can get 15 percent off your order on the G2G Bar site with the code ALADYGOESWEST.
- Organifi supplements. This is my go-to protein powder brand. You can get 15 percent off your order on the Organifi site with the code ALADYGOESWEST.
- Beautycounter. The best safe skincare and makeup. Send me a message, and I’ll share a 20 percent off code for your very first order.
- Les Mills On Demand workouts. My favorite fitness brand. You can do a whole month of workouts during a free 30-day trial by using my special referral link here.
A couple good ones from around the web
- Grilling food safety. This may seem like a strange one for me to share, but our new grill arrived this week (finally, because it got lost in transit and was three weeks late), and we’re planning to eat a lot more grilled foods on the weekends now. Dave does our grilling, and I think he knows all of these tips. Nonetheless, this article is a great reminder on food safety when grilling.
- World’s greatest stretch. I almost always do this simple movement to warm up before my workouts. I bet you’ve done it too. Here’s the world’s greatest stretch in action.
Here’s the thought of the week, which is from my Headspace app I’m using for daily meditations. Even though it’s about the practice of meditation, I feel like it works for a lot of consistent actions we take on a daily basis …
A Lady Goes West favorite archives
- Routines. I’m so glad you guys liked this one from earlier this week … “These are some of our regular daily and weekly routines.”
- Life coaching. This post is from last year, and I think it’s a good one to go back to. Have you ever thought about working with a life coach too? … “What I’ve learned while working with a life coach.”
- Skincare. It’s always a good time to switch to clean beauty. Here’s how to get started … “Must-have Beautycounter products and how to get started with Beautycounter.”
Thank you for coming by A Lady Goes West, my friends. I appreciate you. Go out there and have a great day!
Questions of the day
What’s the best meal you’ve eaten recently?
Do you have any post requests? Don’t forget you can always add an anonymous question for the next advice column here too.
What’s your favorite way to work out right now?
What date did Cody teach the Disney class? I’d love to take it!
Hi Anne! It was SUCH a good ride, and Cody kept it totally PG too for kids. It was on 8/18, and it’s 20 minutes long.
Thanks so much! Not always easy to find specific rides if you don’t know the date, so I appreciate it 🙂
My co-worker was just telling me about Physical, too! I’ll have to add it to the my never ending list of things to watch, haha. I’m still going strong at my local Burn Boot Camp and still loving it for my workouts! I do miss Pilates and barre from my previous gym, but definitely feel more motivated at Burn. Have a great weekend, Ash! 🙂
Hi Ashley! I think Burn Boot Camp was started here in Charlotte — I really should check it out one day. Glad you are keeping up with your workouts, friend. Have a WONDERFUL weekend, momma! 🙂
I finished “Physical” last night and I thought it was fantastic!
Interesting storylines outside of her/husband/politics.
Made me very uncomfortable at times and almost like I wanted to look away but couldn’t.
LOTS of thoughts about relationships, some of those dynamics!
I’m so glad there will be a second season!!
Hi Sabrina! I TOTALLY agree on the uncomfortable parts, but isn’t that what makes good TV? 🙂 Glad you liked the series too! Have a great weekend!