Hey, friends! How are you? I’m okay! This week was interesting, right? Let’s see here: Since we last talked, six counties in the Bay Area officially got put on lockdown, and that includes us. That means no gym, no preschool, no library, no non-essential outings at all — we are all ordered to “shelter in place.”
In addition to that, today, Dave and I were supposed to be heading to Vegas for our first ever little weekend getaway without Brady (which we had been looking forward to for three months). However, clearly, we are not doing that. We are in some strange times. Although it can’t go without mentioning, that we are safe and healthy, and I’m grateful for both of those things. And I’m hoping you are safe and healthy too.
This week, we took a lot of family walks, got some stuff done around the house, and that’s about it. I kept busy with work during Brady’s naps, but have tried to pull back a bit on other things. As far as workouts, I did short sessions at home in the living room using Les Mills On Demand. Nothing has been ideal, but we’re making the best of it. And the good news is that Brady has no idea anything is going on at all. 🙂
But I want to keep some normalcy around here with you, so let’s do the faves. Because YES, there are always faves …
Being part of The Every Girl 6-week self-care challenge
This is so cool! I’ve been reading The Every Mom and The Every Girl websites for a while, so I was honored to be invited to share my insight for a new program that they just debuted. And the timing couldn’t be better for a program like this for us all …
The Every Girl 6-week Self-Care Challenge is a 42-day course, which just launched last week. I provided content on fitness to help you find the right workouts, make them effective and stick to them too.
The entire 6-week course includes sections on mental health, adulting, relationships, nutrition, movement and skin and hair care, and you go through one topic during each week.
The course does have a fee, but it’s incredibly thorough and should be a great way to make some positive changes in your life — all the way from your workouts, to your food, to your relationships and much more. You can read additional details about the course here and register for it here. Let me know if you give it a try!
Finally trying G2G protein bars
A few weeks ago I wrote a post about my favorite healthy snack bars. And shortly after that, the folks behind the G2G (Good2Go) bars reached out to see if I wanted to try their bars for the first time. They sent me a huge package, and I’m loving the bars.
Here’s what you should know about the G2G bars …
- Very filling at around 300 calories
- Should be kept in the fridge, but you can take them on the go for a month
- 18 grams of protein per bar mostly from whey isolate
- Gluten free, no preservatives
- You can recognize and pronounce all of the ingredients
My favorite flavors are peanut butter banana chocolate and almond coconut, and they are delicious.
I like the texture, although I think they are best when brought up to room temperature or warmed just slightly in the microwave — they are too firm when fresh out of the fridge and cold.
They have a great protein content and are fairly clean too. I wouldn’t say they are quite as tasty as Perfect Bars, but they have more protein and are a little cheaper too. And I happen to love the name.
You can find these bars at some grocery stores, but you also can get them at a discount on the brand’s website. In fact, if you shop here and use the code ALADYGOESWEST, you’ll get 20 percent off your order. Thanks for sending, G2G!
Enjoy this 10 percent Beautycounter sale
Because we all need some deals! Right now, everything on the Beautycounter site is 10 percent off, including the already discounted regimens and collections. Shop the sale here, and let me know if you have any questions! 🙂
Jump in with the Les Mills On Demand free trial
If you haven’t yet tried Les Mills On Demand for your at-home workout needs, I’d say now is the perfect time to do so. There are more than 800 workouts, ranging from dance, to HIIT, to weights to core focused too.
While it’s great to have some equipment for BODYPUMP, GRIT and CXWORX, there are plenty of programs you can do without any gym gear, like BODYATTACK, BODYCOMBAT and more. Head here to my special link to try out the program for 21 days totally for free.
Weekly workout recap
Here are my workouts from last week …
- Monday: 1-hour weights session, 9:15 a.m., practiced BODYPUMP for 45 minutes, 5:30 p.m.
- Tuesday: Practiced POP Pilates for 1-hour, 10 a.m., taught 45-minute BODYATTACK, 4:45 p.m.
- Wednesday: Taught 1-hour POP Pilates, 5:30 p.m.
- Thursday: Practiced BODYATTACK for 30 minutes, taught 1-hour barre, 12 p.m.
- Friday: Practiced BODYPUMP for 30 minutes, 9 a.m.
- Saturday: 1-hour BODYATTACK, 9:30 a.m.
- Sunday: Taught 1-hour BODYPUMP, 8:30 a.m.
This past week was super full of fitness, and I didn’t get a rest day either. I was heavy into preparing to launch the new BODYPUMP and BODYATTACK … and then, I didn’t even end up getting to teach the new BODYATTACK once the gym closed. But I did teach BODYPUMP, and boy I love the new release. Nonetheless, I’m happy to say that I had a good variety of movement, and I’ll be doing WAY less exercise the next few weeks naturally, as the gym is closed.
A few things from around the web …
- Help your community. It’s so important to think about how you can contribute to making things better, not worse. There are some great tips in this article on supporting local businesses and your neighbors during this trying time.
- Spring reading list. Here’s a list of 25 new fiction titles to keep you entertained if you’re home bound.
And here’s the quote of the week from the Calm app, which I use to do my daily morning meditations …
A Lady Goes West favorite archives …
- Money talk. Because it’s always fun to see how people spend their money … “Splurge vs. save: How I spend money.”
- Home workouts. Now is as good of a time as any to revisit this review of the best home workout platform … “Review of Les Mills On Demand streaming workout service.“
- Home workouts. Make sure you keep a few of these safety tips in mind too … “How to work out at home safely (and effectively).”
I want to thank you SO much for taking the time to visit the blog today. With everything that’s going on, it’s important to me to continue to reach out and chat with you all here and on social media. Feel free to send me a DM on Instagram or an email at any time, if you have a question or I can help you out, friends! Be well, wash your hands and take care! 🙂 xoxo
P.S. I want to put some GOOD news out there for you. I’d love to give away two pairs of leggings, a size medium and a size large. These are brand new gorgeous CALIA by Carrie Underwood leggings left over from my Barre, Beauty and Bubbles event gift bag. If you wear a medium or large and want some new cute high-waisted leggings (with a little colorful detail on the side), leave a comment below to be entered to win.
Questions of the day
How was your week?
What have you been doing to keep busy?
What’s one book on your reading list?