Hi, friends! And just like that, we’ve made it through the third week of quarantine. Yes! And we’re also into April. My goodness.
How was your week? Ours was much of the same — with walks, home workouts, meals in, family time, working and all of that. Brady is loving all the extra moments to play outside and not be rushed from one activity to the other …
(Rocking my very favorite leggings ever here and most days, to be honest.)
Let’s go ahead and get right into the current faves, as we do every single Friday …
Watching the Judy Garland movie
Over the weekend, Dave and I streamed “Judy.”
I posted about this on Instagram and a lot of people asked how we were able to watch it. We have Xfinity cable, and we “rented” the movie by paying $6 through the Amazon Prime app to watch it. We sometimes do this, so it’s just a digital rental.
The movie was just under two hours, and it’s all about Judy Garland, the actress and star of “The Wizard of Oz.” Renee Zellweger played Garland, and she was amazing.
Honestly, I didn’t know much about Judy Garland until watching this movie, and once it was over, I went back and read a ton of articles about her life. Basically, she was thrust into the business at a young age and ended up having a lot of problems, including an addiction to pills.
The movie details the time she spent in her final job performing at a nightclub in London, and things sort’ve started to go downhill. After I went back and read more, I found that the movie took a few artistic liberties, but still — the overall idea is that Garland was a mess, a talented mess.
This movie was definitely sad. Hands down. I sobbed at the end, but I really enjoyed it. Dave thought it was a little bit boring, but agreed it was a good film. If you’re into music, go for it, because there’s a good amount of that.
Everlane is having a sale
This never happens, but one of my favorite sites, Everlane, is having a 25 percent off sale, and it ends tonight.
Everlane sells clothing, accessories, bags and shoes for men and women, and the company has sustainable manufacturing, transparent operations, and everything is great quality. I’ve ordered a ton from here. Some of my favorite items …
- Authentic stretch high-rise skinny jeans (my favorite black jeans ever)
- Pima micro rib crew tops (the best fabric)
- Cotton v-neck shirts (I have multiple colors)
- Day square leather tote bag (I have this bag in brown and black)
Here are the authentic stretch high-rise skinny jeans in action (old picture, clearly) …
Here’s my referral link to shop the Everlane sale today, if you want to look around.
I don’t know about you, but I have never been a big orange juice person. I’ve always thought of it as a sugar-laden drink without many actual nutrients. However, I recently found an orange juice brand that I can’t get enough of — it’s high-quality, organic, pulpy, not made from concentrate and wholeheartedly delicious. And who doesn’t want a little more vitamin C right now?
This brand, Uncle Matt’s, is actually based in Florida, but I find it at Whole Food’s and Sprouts.
Here’s how I do it: I’ve been mixing half a glass of orange juice with half of a Topo Chico sparkling mineral water (which you’ve heard me rave about for years), and it’s such a nice little pick-me-up.
Because my workouts have been at weird times, I’ve actually been drinking this before mid-morning workouts if I feel like I need a little boost of energy. Yum!
Getting take-out sushi
We have been getting grocery store sushi for dinner on Friday nights for 2.5 years (pretty much since Brady was born and I went back to eating sushi).
Well, now that we’re on quarantine, we’ve been trying to support local businesses, so we’ve been getting take-out from a neighborhood sushi spot on Fridays. And let me tell you: Even though I thought our Whole Foods or Lunardi’s grocery store sushi was awesome, fresh sushi from a restaurant is WAY better. WAY better. It’s such a treat, even if it is a little more pricey.
When I order sushi, I like to get rolls that feature salmon and avocado at a minimum, and I usually avoid anything that has tempura. Rice option: always white. How about you? What’s your sushi order?
Weekly workout recap
Here are my workouts from last week …
- Monday: 30-minute Les Mills GRIT Strength workout, 12 p.m.
- Tuesday: 30-minute CXWORX workout, 11 a.m.
- Wednesday: 45-minute circuit weights workout, 11 a.m.
- Thursday: 3-mile run, 10-minute booty workout, 12 p.m.
- Friday: 50-minute POP Pilates and 2-mile run, 11 a.m.
- Saturday: 30 minutes of BODYPUMP, 10 a.m.
- Sunday: 25 minutes of BODYFLOW and 5-minute stretching routine, 11 a.m.
This past week had a lot of great variety, and I picked up weights three times too. I have said it before, and I’ll say it again, I totally miss group fitness and having the ability to use gym daycare for Brady. But, I am enjoying the freedom to structure my workouts how I choose and the ability to do things that I usually don’t have time for. And I did two runs this week, yay!
Most of my workouts have come from Les Mills On Demand, of course. And you can still try it out for free for 30 days with this special link, if you want.
A few things from around the web …
- Beating bloat and fatigue. I used to listen to every single episode of the Mindbodygreen podcast when it first came out. Then I took a break. I’m happy to say that my return to the MBG podcast earlier this week was for a great (and short) episode about how to beat bloat, heal your gut and support your energy. Here’s a synopsis and a link to the episode. Good stuff.
- Super easy weeknight dinner. This dish sounds so yummy, featuring zucchini noodles, spices and even tuna.
- Apple cider vinegar. I have not jumped on the ACV train, but drinking it does appear to have a lot of benefits. Have you tried? Here’s how and why you could consider it.
And here’s the quote of the week from the Calm app, which I use to do my daily morning meditations …
A Lady Goes West favorite archives …
- Working from home. Have you found yourself working from home and struggling a bit? Give this one a read … “10 tips for working from home successfully.”
- The very best breakfast. I haven’t made this in far too long, but it’s the most popular food post on my site … “The creamiest warm almond butter oatmeal breakfast bowl.”
I appreciate you so much, my friends! Be well!
P.S. I’m taking over the Organifi Instagram stories this Sunday. Catch me there! 🙂
Questions of the day
How was your week?
What’s one good thing you have to share?
Have you watched any great movies lately?