Hi, my friends! How are you? I hope the week has treated you well. Not too much to report from this week, outside of work, classes and the usual over here. I’m heading into the City for an event today and don’t have many plans for the weekend ahead. So let’s get right into those favorites …
New white slide sandals
Wore these the day they arrived! I don’t know about you, but when I buy something new, it takes me a while to wear or use it for the first time. It’s like I’m waiting for some special occasion. Well, this past weekend, Dave was out of town for work, and it was just Brady and I hanging out. These new white slides that I ordered arrived, and I tried them on, found that they fit great and were keepers and decided to keep them on my feet as we left the house to run some errands.
It may seem like a totally insignificant thing to wear something you buy immediately, but I was actually proud of myself for doing it. It’s all part of that “be present, live your life” mentality I’m trying to take every single day — and every tiny step helps. Ohhh the little things! Do you wear new clothes or shoes as soon as you get them or wait a while? Do tell!
Blue workout outfit
I wear workout clothes six days a week and sometimes require two outfits depending on my workout or class schedule. That being said, I really don’t get new workout clothes as often as I should. Since I cleaned out my drawers and closet last week, I figured it was time to get some new stuff, so I picked up a couple sets. This one is going to be for teaching barre and taking any sort of mind/body class. I wore it to take a few photos with a friend too, including this one below.
The top has sleeves and an open tie-back detail, which is nice and airy, and of course, the pants are high-waisted, which is always my preference. In fact, I’m loving these pants, because they are so comfy, and they stay in place too.
Nut butter packs
PRObar recently sent me a care package of bars and goodies, and I enjoyed a lot of the contents, however, these nut butters were the star of the show. I loved each of them. I didn’t even know PRObar made nut butters until now. I was particularly enamored with the chocolate flavor. I mean, chocolate PB? Yes! Organic? Yes again.
I also really like eating nut butters from a packet (outside of the waste/packaging issue), because it’s the perfect single serving. I tend to go overboard with nut butter on a daily basis when I pull it out of the jar, but hey — we all have our vices.
Hard-boiled egg lunch
Is this a favorite or what? You guys know I eat eggs almost every single day, but I hadn’t eaten hard-boiled eggs in a while until the last couple of weeks. It brought me back to my days of working in an office and eating hard-boiled eggs and avocado every weekday in the break-room. Eggs are the perfect little food. Hands down. This bowl also has an avocado, spinach sautéed in olive oil and is topped with everything-but-the-bagel seasoning and sea salt. If you haven’t made this combo, just do it.
Brené Brown “The Call to Courage” Netflix Special
I laughed and I cried during this Netflix special, so there you go. I only recently started hearing about Brené Brown, but apparently she’s been spreading the good word on shame, vulnerability and courage for many years. I’ve actually put my name on the waiting list for one of her books at the library too. I watched this special while Dave was gone last weekend, and boy am I glad I did.
Perhaps one of my favorite quotes from Brené was this “time is our most precious and un-renewable resource.” Well, ain’t that the truth. I highly recommend you give this one a watch, it’s just a bit over an hour and totally worth that precious t-i-m-e.
The best foundation
Usually, I wear the lighter Beautycounter dew skin moisturizer with SPF as my foundation, and it’s soft, creamy and looks barely there. But sometimes, I want full coverage, and that’s where the Beautycounter tint skin comes in.
Lately, I’ve been wearing the tint skin foundation on weekend outings or for pictures, and I absolutely love the feel and look of it. I wear the “linen” shade — and it’s definitely one of the best foundations I’ve ever worn, and full of safe ingredients, of course. 🙂
Sneaky giveaway! By the way, I’d love to introduce more of you to Beautycounter products, because I love them so much, and I know you will too. If you sign up for my Beautycounter email list today, leave a comment below on this blog post letting me know that you did, and I’ll choose someone to get a few Beautycounter samples next week. 🙂
Weekly workout recap
Because I like to share how I’ve been moving …
- Monday: 1-hour BODYPUMP class, 10 a.m.
- Tuesday: 30-minute CXWORX class, 10 a.m.; taught 45-minute BODYATTACK class, 4:45 p.m.
- Wednesday: Taught 1-hour BODYPUMP class, 9:30 a.m.; taught 1-hour barre class, 5 p.m.
- Thursday: Taught 1-hour barre class, 12 p.m.
- Friday: Practiced BODYATTACK for 20 minutes, did assisted pull-ups and rows, 10 a.m.
- Saturday: 15-minutes incline walking, 15 minutes of core work, 10 a.m.
- Sunday: Rest day
This past week was a typical one around here, with a bunch of classes, two short solo workouts, as well as a rest day. Overall, I’m feeling pretty good, but still struggling a bit with my workout schedule due to the classes I teach and the need to do my own training as well. But for now, it is what it is. I’m just grateful for gym daycare and a healthy and able body.
Some things I enjoyed from around the web …
- Bloating and veggies. Sad but true, sometimes healthy food like vegetables can cause a little stomach discomfort. This quick article tells you how to best avoid the dreaded veggie bloat.
- Life advice. This is an enjoyable article with real life advice that the New York Times crowdsourced from readers on topics like parenting, work and general. Good stuff.
- Public toilets. So gross, but so true. Give this one a read about public bathrooms and how you can avoid some germs.
- Wellness and blogging. I loved this episode of The Skinny Confidential Podcast with The Wellness Mama. I’ve read so many articles on The Wellness Mama site, and she’s a wealth of knowledge. She mentioned taking time off from your supplements, which is something I’ve always agreed with, and she also talked about growing her brand while having six kids. Wow. Speaking of kids …
A Lady Goes West favorite archives …
- Mother’s Day. Thanks to everyone who provided insight for this post … “What moms really want for Mother’s Day this year.”
- Breakfast plans. I haven’t made baked oatmeal in a while, and I need to change that … “Make this cacao baked oatmeal for a week’s worth of breakfasts.”
Have a most wonderful weekend. And to all my momma and future-momma friends, I hope you feel appreciated and loved this Mother’s Day and every day. You deserve it! xoxo
P.S. Congrats to India, who won the care package and book from last week’s post.
Questions of the day
What are you up to this weekend?
What was the best thing that happened in your week?
Do you use new stuff right away or wait a while?