This week. Oh this week. It somehow went by super fast, but also seemed incredibly long. Outside of working all day each day, I spent the rest of my free time going over Bootybarre videos and notes to memorize choreography and cueing and create a playlist to teach my very first class – which happened on Thursday night. It went awesome, and I’m glad the first one is behind me. Speaking of Bootybarre, you’re probably going to hear me mention it a lot, so I’ll get a class review up for you soon. Sound good?
Now that we’re just about at the weekend, I’m ready for a little down time, because for once, the next couple of days aren’t as jam packed as usual. Tonight, Dave and I have a group dinner with some of our friends in Lafayette. We have a rotating dinner party that each couple hosts, and tonight’s is themed Oktoberfest – looking forward to it! Other than that, I’ll be teaching BODYPUMP, eating, hanging out with Dave and Rudy and that’s about it. We’re not actually doing anything big for Halloween this weekend, but will definitely have candy to give out in case we get trick-or-treaters before Monday.
What do you say we move into the favorites?
Latest favorite things
Favorite event: Amy Schumer Live
Other than attending a stand-up comedy show in college, I had never been to a real-live comedian’s performance until last week. I was so excited when a friend invited Dave and me and a few others to go see Amy Schumer live at Oracle Arena in Oakland. Not only do I love watching comedians on YouTube (it’s actually something we do regularly), but I am a huge fan of sarcastic and hilarious Amy Schumer. She was fantastic in person. Absolutely fantastic.
Our big group caravanned to the arena and enjoyed the show from the comfort of a suite. And let me tell you, from the opening act (who was a guy named Mark Normand and was totally self-deprecating every-guy funny), to Amy Schumer’s last line was killer. I had so many belly laughs, I think I got an ab workout. While I would have loved to see Amy on stage for even longer, her portion of the show was just over an hour – and we were totally satisfied because she truly delivered. I will say, yes she does have some crude and nasty jokes. But everything she says is true, which is what makes it even more hilarious. If you ever have the chance to check her out, do it. She keeps it raw, real and face-hurting funny!
Side note: Amy’s team was super specific about taking absolutely no photos or videos during the show or using your phone, so that everyone just focused and enjoyed. I LOVED that about it. She did a one-minute break in the middle of the show for people to do all the photos they needed, and really, that was enough! If you look above at our picture, you can even see the “NO” sign on the suite door.
Favorite bev: Organic Girl Cold-Pressed Smoothie
I bet you’ve heard of Organic Girl before, because the company makes salad dressings and spinach, kale and green salad blends, which you can find in your local grocery store in the veggie department. Well, now they make juice and smoothies too! The company is California based, and they are obsessed with all things greens. They were kind enough to send me a sample pack, and I was a huge fan of the Green Cider Smoothie in particular.
While I was pleased with the variety of veggie flavors sent my way, this smoothie, which contains Greek yogurt, chia and hemp seeds as well as a bunch of servings of veggies, was so smooth and delicious I couldn’t pass up a chance to share it. I brought it to have with lunch one day and drank it in two sips. Embarrassing, but true. If you want to find Organic Girl products near you, check out this locator (available in Whole Foods, by the way). Here are some of the other ones I sampled, with the Spicy Tomato as my second favorite.
As you can see, these juices are pretty low in calories, have cute names and are all about more greens and less fruit. While I do think it’s best to eat most of your nutrients, a little dose of veggies from organic juice like this is super beneficial when you need it too! *Thanks, Organic Girl!
Favorite delivery: POPSUGAR Must Have Box
Another month, another awesome box of well-curated goodies sent right to my door. My friends at POPSUGAR sent me the October Must Have Box, and boy this umbrella came at the perfect time for some rain in the Bay Area this week. This month, there was a selection of fall-inspired goodies, including Lisa Sugar’s book, “Power Your Happy,” which I already have and read. What oh what will I do with my second copy? I have an idea — I’ll send it to one random person who comments on this post. So leave a comment, and you may win the book. Sneaky, sneaky! 🙂
Other items include eyeliner, dark hot chocolate, a cute mug and the most delicious smelling brown sugar vanilla bodywash. I love brown sugar vanilla everything, and will be using this stuff up in no time. Want to know more about POPSUGAR’s monthly box for yourself or for a gift? Find out here. *Thanks to POPSUGAR for sending this box complimentary in exchange for my review.
Favorite recent reads: Food, Business and More
Did you miss the latest on A Lady Goes West?
- North Beach dinner, Under Armour event, SenSpa visit and my weekly workouts
- Here’s a giveaway I’m running on Instagram for a box of GoMacro Thrive bars, which I featured in my favorites last week. Check it out, because it closes today!
- And congrats to the winner of the Siggi’s giveaway, lucky Kelly M. won the month of yogurt and has been emailed. Thank you to everyone who entered!
And more things worth reading …
- Fitness: Always a good reminder to make sure your time outside of the gym helps you to perform better in the gym. “Five Things you Should Never do After a Workout.”
- Business: I love a good business profile, and this one from FastCompany about the uber-popular company ClassPass was super enjoyable because it talks about how this company has changed the game, but is struggling to make it’s business plan last long-term. “Is the ClassPass Model Sustainable?”
- Blogging: Because I don’t devote myself full time to my blog anymore, I will admit that my use of analytics, planning and tools is not what it should be for poor ol’ A Lady Goes West. But I still read the industry articles out there and hope to take advantage of all that’s at my fingertips one day. For instance, Facebook. This one blew my mind “Five Things You Can Learn from Facebook Analytics.”
- Food and Health: Another article giving us pause about eating processed foods. “Three Ways You May be Slowing Your Metabolism.”
- Diet: I want to try this. I really do. “This New Nutrition Kit Pinpoints the Perfect Diet for Your Body.”
Have a wonderful day, move around a little and enjoy time with loved ones!Favorites by @apstyle today include @AmySchumer show, @ILoveOrganic juices, @POPSUGARMH and more ... Click To Tweet
Read more Favorite things
Questions of the day
What’s your favorite part of your week?
Are you dressing up for Halloween? As what?