Yo! I know you don’t want to hear me talk about how busy I’ve been, because I’m sure things are the same for you. But geez. Between working in a full-time job, writing A Lady Goes West, teaching group fitness classes, doing my own workouts, sleeping and attempting to have a social life, there’s not a lot of time left for anything else. I need a break! But, until that happens, let’s just keep on keepin’ on, because that’s all we can do. You know?
This weekend will include a Christmas show in the city, a haircut, a Warriors game and some packing for my trip to Florida, which is fast approaching. Other than that, I may do some gift wrapping, because I finished all of my Christmas shopping. Yay!
So, I have just a few fun little things to share today as part of my regular weekly favorites — nothing too serious. So skim, enjoy and have a fab day, my friends!
Latest favorite things
Favorite class: Bootybarre
As you may know, I took on a learning new group fitness program a few months ago called Bootybarre (a barre-style class using light hand-weights, a ball and a barre). And right now, I’m teaching Bootybarre once a week, and I look forward to it. It’s so different from any Les Mills formats or Orangetheory Fitness classes that I’ve ever taught before, and that’s why I like it. I make my own playlist, switch up the moves when I want, and do the entire thing in bare feet. Oh, and I finally found out I am officially certified and received my notification based on my assessment video just this past week. Wondering what this class is like? Check out my Bootybarre class review here.
The whole point of saying that I like Bootybarre is that it’s been good to take on something in the fitness world that is new and outside of my regular zone. It’s refreshing! My class is on Thursday nights and it’s still pretty small, but I know I’ll be able to grow it after the new year.
Favorite food: Bone broth
If you follow me on Instagram, you’ve seen multiple posts of where I’ve shown the bone broth I’m eating. While I will save the full details for another post in the future (must find time to write more helpful posts, geez) I will tell you that you can’t go wrong with bone broth, and everyone can benefit from it. Bone broth is different from stock or regular broth, because it is simmered in meat and bones for much longer (24 hours or more), so you end up consuming more nutrients when you eat or drink it.
You can find a good organic bone broth in your grocery store, either in the meat aisle or the soup aisle. My favorite kind BY FAR is this flavored single-serve, but I’ve also been pouring out the plain stuff into a mug, heating it in the microwave for about two minutes and adding sea salt and turmeric to taste. Then I sip away. But if you’re weary of drinking it, you can also use bone broth as the water in a pan for cooking or sautéing veggies, which is something I do as well.
A cup of bone broth has 9 grams of protein, so it’s a great addition to a meal or a snack on its own. It helps heal your gut, gives your body beneficial nutrients and just plain feels right. Give it a try! (Shout out to my friend Amy K. for letting me know she finally tried bone broth and said it tastes like “Thanksgiving.” She’s right!!)
Favorite outfit: New Balance
You can never have too many workout outfits I tell ya! I received a shipment from the folks at New Balance a few weeks ago and have been rocking the outfit OVER and OVER again. Although it’s appeared on Instagram, I hadn’t posted it here yet, so here we go …
The quality and fabric of this entire outfit is amazing. I LOVE the fit of the pants, with the mid-rise waist and pattern. The tank is fitted, but loose and the long-sleeve shirt is clutch, and the sports bra has the right amount of coverage. The sneakers are cushioned and comfy and go with everything. I happen to love black sneakers, and these have just enough black and a bit of grey. Overall, this outfit is a winner. Thanks to my friends at New Balance for sending it! (And by the way, there’s a brand new flagship New Balance store in downtown San Francisco for my Bay Area friends to check out.)
Favorite recent reads: Food, health and more
Did you miss the latest on A Lady Goes West?
- Holiday gift guide: The best gift ideas for a fit girl who has everything
- Wine-tasting party fun, Christmas cheer and my weekly workout report
- Favorite things: Recent San Francisco blogger events with link love
- Work holiday party, rain, truffle making and my weekly workout report
And more things worth reading …
- Fitness/Business/Celebrity: A few months ago, when I went down to L.A. to take part in filming an episode of “Catching Kelce” I also got to meet and interview the one-and-only Chalene Johnson, who is a fitness program creator, business maven and coach to so many people. She’s a big deal. She’s also inspiring. Here’s the article I wrote from my interview with her. Hope you enjoy it!
- Sweeteners/Food: I switched to stevia from artificial sweeteners two years ago and haven’t looked back. This article is awesome, because it tells you how to make the switch and what to look for in a good stevia product (raw, plain stevia with no additives).
- Adult Beverages/Recipes: Coconut water in a cocktail? Sign me up. I’d love to try this, and it sounds perfect for a holiday party.
- Fruit/Food: Fun facts about the avocado. Yes, please. For instance, it’s better to peel off the skin in order to get the most nutritious dark layer. Dave also opens an avo this way, and I don’t, so clearly I need to follow his lead.
Read more Favorite things
To see more favorites, visit my older “Favorite things.” And P.S. There are affiliate links in this post.
Questions of the day
Have you read a good article worth sharing lately? Place the link below!
What are you up to this weekend?