‘Tis the season for a gift guide! And now that I’ve been living this mom life for a couple of months, I feel like I finally know the best gift ideas for new moms.
I wanted to share them with you, because it’s not always easy to shop for someone in such a significant time of her life. And these ideas are good ones — I either already have or would love to have them all. Bookmark this one for any time of year! 🙂
Before we get started, quick update on things over here: We’re doing fine. Brady is nine weeks and growing like a weed — but a full night’s sleep is still a milestone we haven’t reached yet! We had a pretty nice weekend, in which I got my hair done (much needed), we visited some friends, who also have a new baby, did some shopping (for ourselves), watched some Christmas specials on TV and hung out at home a lot. Now let’s get to the gifts!
Holiday gift ideas for new moms (and other ladies)
Fawn Design diaper bag
Let’s start with this bag, which, believe it or not, is a diaper bag, in addition to a stylish shoulder bag or backpack — however you choose to wear it. I have been waiting for the right time to mention it. When I was searching for diaper bags when I was pregnant, I quickly realized that most of them are very uncool, even the ones made by designers.
That’s why I feel like this is a SUPER good find and an amazing gift for a new mom, a pregnant mom or even any lady who loves bags. This is not a bag you can find at the mall, it’s online only, and the only reason I know about the brand is through seeing it being used on a fashionable friend-of-a-friend at a party over the summer. I instantly went to the Fawn website to buy one for myself, and they were totally out of stock, so I had to wait. I knew I was on to something, and I kept checking back and was eventually able to order one for myself.
EVERY time I go out with this bag, people ask me about it. In fact, I think I’ve turned maybe five of my mom friends onto it. It’s pricey, but it’s worth it! And even if you know someone who already has a diaper bag, I’m pretty sure they would happily switch over to this one.
Nursing sports bras
This is something that I didn’t even know existed until it was time for me to start exercising again, and I realized that nursing would probably have to happen while I’m in activewear sometimes. Well, I did some research and came across two awesome styles of nursing sports bras from Brooks.
(Source: Zappos. This is the Juno bra.)
My friends at Brooks sent me this one and this one, and I’ve been wearing them nonstop. Here’s the deal: This is one of those things that new moms may not know that they need, but once they have a nursing sports bra, they will want one million of them. So convenient! They aren’t super easy to put on, but are VERY comfortable, provide plenty of support and are easy to wear and take off. I need more in other colors — way more!
Personalized necklace and jewelry
I have a confession. I bought myself a fairly expensive present shortly after Brady was born, and I’m obsessed with it — it’s a personalized initial necklace, and it’s absolutely gorgeous and sweet. I would recommend this as a gift for ANY woman, no matter if she is a mom or not. I got three letters on mine (you can get anywhere from one to five) — D, B and R — for Dave, Brady and Rudy, my three boys and my family, and I get to wear them close to my heart.
(Source: Baublebar. This is the Asymmetrical necklace.)
I got the 14K gold, so I don’t ever have to take the necklace off. I can wear it to the gym, in the shower and to sleep, and it’s so dainty and cute. It seriously makes me happy. And there are so many beautiful personalized options out there. Here are a few others that would make amazing presents, like the bracelet version, a ring or even earrings.
(Source: Baublebar. This is the Asymmetrical necklace.)
Personalized stuff is so special and thoughtful. And for an emotional and hormonal new mom, could probably elicit some tears upon receipt. And by the way, sometimes these items take a bit longer to get once you order, so plan ahead. And if you want to find some slightly more affordable personalized jewelry, I recommend Etsy too.
Here’s an item I wouldn’t know was so great for new moms until I became one — big sunglasses. Why big glasses? Quite frankly, you need to cover your face. I love my current sunglasses, which I’ve had for a while, but it would also be great to have some chunkier glasses that could provide more face coverage when I’m heading out for a walk or a quick errand, without much or any make-up on.
(Source: Bloomingdale’s. These are Tory Burch glasses.)
The under-eyes are in need of some serious hiding, if you know what I mean — dark circles and tired dryness isn’t a great look for anyone and big glasses instantly shine up the face in the best way. I haven’t bought new glasses yet, but here are some big ones that are universal for moms. I would totally wear these, these, these, these and these.
Comfortable lounging clothes and pajamas
It’s no secret that new moms spend a lot more time at home than the average person, and much of that time is likely to be in comfortable pajamas, especially at the beginning. Robes, long pants, soft pants, button-up tops and even slippers of high quality are amazing. I’ve never worn lounge clothes as much as I do now, and I feel so much better when those lounge clothes are cute.
(Source: J. Crew. These are the Cracked Metal Moccassins.)
These are some of my favorites and some items on my wish-list too: These jogger pajama pants are truly fabulous. This cute robe is a great cover-up over nursing tanks. This cozy cardigan looks perfect for lounging.
Other awesome gift ideas for new moms
- Free babysitting! If you’ve got a new mom in your life whom you live near, offer to babysit for her sometime. I promise it will be her favorite gift of the year. Bonus points for a weekday, so she can hit the gym, get her nails done and even eat a meal in silence.
- A cleaning service! Another way to win the heart of a new mom? Send over a cleaning service, and one that will also help with all those piles of baby/kid laundry.
- Workout clothes! Something she can wear on her daily walks or to her much-needed trips to the gym. There’s all the cool workout and leisure outfits from Fabletics. Then there’s these awesome leggings, this fleece, and tops on the looser side, like this, are best for new moms, to hide anything they need to hide. By the way, online shopping is pretty much the way to go for activewear, and I’ve bought quite a few outfits lately. It makes my return to working out more exciting, and I think it would do the same for other new moms.
- Pampering services! A massage gift certificate, or a manicure/pedicure/facial or other spa service is always welcome. And maybe you can babysit while she goes too.
- Hydration tools! New moms can’t get enough water. Whether you are breastfeeding or not, you just need to hydrate. Here are a few of my favorite fancy water bottles: this one, this one and definitely this one, because you can drink it with one hand.
- Fun footwear! For all those many walks and quick errands, moms need sneakers. Lots of them. Here are some adorable sporty and athleisure options: these simple ones are awesome, these and these.
- Apple watch! I never thought much about these until recently, and I think moms could get some serious use out of the Apple watch — a one-stop shop for activity tracking, texts, emails, to-dos, etc., it’s sort of like a mom’s dream. I kinda want one.
- Food! Home-cooked meals, meal-delivery services, prepared foods — these are all things that moms need a lot of. Gift away! Maybe even a quick-cooking tool like the Instant Pot. Anything to help her get food in her mouth and on the table. Because a momma needs to eat!
And that’ll do it! Happy shopping!
P.S. Did you enter this giveaway for collagen yet and read about my postpartum recovery? Head on over and enter before it’s too late.A gift guide for new moms and lovely ladies! Check it out on A Lady Goes West ... Click To Tweet
Disclaimer: This post is not sponsored at all. I chose items that I truly love or want, but affiliate links are included. Thanks for your support!
Questions of the day
What’s on your Christmas list this year?
Have you started your Christmas shopping yet? I haven’t!