When I first moved to California, I was a little terrified of the trash receptacles at most public places. Why? Because they didn’t just include one hole for all of your waste, they included a recycle, compost and trash opening — and you had to know what went where. Pretty nerve-wracking in a busy fast-casual restaurant with people standing behind you ready to toss what’s in their hands. You know?
Over the last four years of living on the West Coast, I think I’ve learned a thing or two not only about what to put in which bin, but I’ve also learned a lot more about why it’s important to do your part to help the planet. It matters. And being that I’m all into “health and wellness” — well, wellness extends beyond what you do you in the gym — it’s the whole picture of your life, and that means doing your part to help the Earth.
In honor of the 46th annual Earth Day this year on April 22, it’s a great time to think about what little steps you can take every day to be better to the environment. And this post is brought to you by my friends at Naked Juice — a sustainable company and great partner to A Lady Goes West– who are great stewards of the environment, have a LEED-certified bottling facility and produce 100 percent post-recycled renewable bottles and more.
How you can celebrate Earth Day
Here are some ideas to get you started …
- Have a day where you don’t waste any food.
- Bring your own reusable grocery bags every time you shop.
- Carry your own reusable water bottle around: Say no to plastic.
- Carry your own reusable coffee mug around: Say no to styrofoam.
- Run full loads of laundry, to waste as little water as possible.
- Bike or walk instead of driving whenever you can.
- Start to go paperless for all of your regular bills and communication.
- Carpool. In fact, help arrange carpools.
- Turn the lights off, open the windows and conserve energy at home.
- Make a concerted effort to purchase environmentally friendly products from companies that make an effort to help the planet (like Naked Juice!)
- Shop local.
- Eat local.
- Before you drop food containers in the recycling bin, rinse them out.
- Place a note on your fridge with an environmental pledge and stick to it. Encourage your friends and family to do the same.
- Plant a tree.
- Plant a garden.
- Take a shorter shower. Shoot for no more than a couple of minutes.
- Turn the water off when you brush your teeth.
- For heaven’s sake, do NOT litter. And if you see litter, pick it up.
If you want more ideas, check out these additional awesome suggestions straight from the folks at Earth Day organization on how you can take action, if you want to get involved in your community or the movement.
Of course, there’s no doubt you’ll need some nutrients to fuel up your action, and may I suggest a green-a-licious Kale Blazer from Naked Juice? Kale Blazer, along with almost 30 other Naked Juice products, is non-GMO certified, and it’s just plain good for you. The juice contains potassium, vitamins A and C, and about 80 leaves of kale and spinach, plus extra lemon, ginger and celery. So good!
Go out there and do something good for the planet today. And if you can, try to keep it up every day after this one. Thanks, friends!How to do your part to celebrate #EarthDay this year ... @NakedJuice Click To Tweet
(P.S. Do you live in a place or have you visited a place where you wonder what you are supposed to put in the compost, trash or recycle bins? This article has great advice to help you navigate those situations.)
*Disclaimer: This post is sponsored by Naked Juice. As a brand ambassador, I was compensated and received product. However, all thoughts an opinions are entirely my own. Thank you for supporting the sponsors that work with me and A Lady Goes West!
Questions of the day
How are you celebrating Earth Day?
What’s one thing you plan to do to be more environmentally friendly?