While I realize that many of you have been stuck in cold temperatures, here in Northern California, we’ve been enjoying mid-sixties and sunny skies. That being said, I’ve been on a smoothie kick.
For a while, I was all about this Blue chocolate protein milkshake smoothie, but now, I’m much more into the the color orange. And to get the new hue, mangoes have been my go-to main ingredient.
Mangoes are popular and good for you
Did you know that mangoes are the most widely consumed fresh fruit in the world?
Although more tomatoes are produced for canning and other reasons, mangoes are the most eaten. How about that? And there are more than 1,000 varieties of mangoes (or mangos, as it can also be spelled) around the world. Not to mention, the nutritional aspects of this leading fruit are pretty darn good.
A serving of mangoes contains the following:
- 76 percent of your daily need of vitamin C to boost your immunity
- 25 of your daily need of vitamin A to promote good eyesight
- Plenty of iron to combat anemia
- Beta-carotene which helps give you clear skin
- Beneficial antioxidants to help prevent cancer
- Essential enzymes that break down protein and help your digestion
- And so much more
And even better than all of that listed above, mangoes have a fresh-citrus taste that makes you feel like you’re on a tropical vacation. Or, of course, the mere thought of mentioning mangoes makes you laugh out loud because of the memories it produces. Anyone else out there remember those Saturday Night Live sketches with Chris Kattan? You cannot TOUCH the Mango. Okay, just me? Well they were good.
Now here’s my super simple way to enjoy mangoes in a thick smoothie.
Orange dream mango protein smoothie
- -1 cup of frozen mangoes
- -1 cup of almond milk (or any milk of your choice)
- -1 scoop of vanilla protein powder
- -1 cup of ice
- OPTIONAL (You could also add blueberries, spinach or whatever you like, but darker ingredients will take away the pretty orange hue.)
- Mix it all up in a high-powered blender and enjoy. I like to make mine thick enough to drink/eat with a spoon.
- So easy and delicious.
Extra credit: Put on some island music, light an ocean-scented candle and enjoy your smoothie in front of a space heater. You can make it seem like summer in no time. If that doesn’t work, book a visit to the Bay Area, and I’ll show you around.
Alright, friends. Have yourself a merry little Tuesday! On the agenda for me today? Some work, then teaching some BODYPUMP.
Questions of the day
When was the last time you had a smoothie?
What’s your favorite fruit?
Do you have any vacation plans for the spring or summer?