Well, hello there, middle-of-the-week. You’ve arrived quickly. This time next week, I’ll be flying down to Los Angeles to attend and present at the 2015 IDEA BlogFest and IDEA World Fitness Convention. I’m so excited to meet a bunch of wonderful healthy-living bloggers and fitness professionals in one four-day event, and I’m also excited that I’m bunking up with the lovely Heather. Speaking of travel, I’ve got way more than usual of it coming up, which we’ll chat about today, and then we can get to the food.
Upcoming summer travel plans
Dave and I have a few trips planned for the rest of the summer, and we are beyond pumped. Two weekends after I return from Los Angeles, the two of us are heading down to San Diego to visit Dave’s parents. Then, the following weekend, we’re driving down to Monterey for a wedding of one of his coworkers. And at the end of August, we’re going to Maui, Hawaii. This will be both Dave and my first time visiting Hawaii, and it’s a place that has been on our “must-see” list for ages. We’ve booked a resort on the Ka’anapali coast and want to make the most of our five nights there. That being said, we’d love suggestions for activities and sight-seeing, so please let me know if you’ve been before. Now let’s get back to the regularly scheduled programming …
This week’s “What I Ate Wednesday” recap
It’s Wednesday, so we’re going to look at some food. Every single week, I recap a full day of my eating, complete with real pictures. These “What I Ate Wednesday” posts are simply a chance to give you some insight into what actual meals look like from someone who tries to be fairly healthy. But it’s not perfect, because that just wouldn’t be any fun.
Today, I’m sharing everything I ate yesterday — a Tuesday — in which I taught two classes at Orangetheory Fitness in the morning, came home to get some work done and then went back to do a workout at Orangetheory Fitness in the afternoon.
Breakfast at 6 a.m.
First meal of the day: I could eat trail mix at any time of day. This breakfast bowl is a good example of that. Plain Greek yogurt, a sliced-up banana and some organic trail mix. I enjoyed this alongside some green juice and hot green tea, sweetened with stevia and vanilla soy milk.
Un-pictured second mug of hot green tea consumed around 11:30 a.m.
Lunch at 12 p.m.
Delivered fresh: This is a seared salmon nicoise salad, which I had waiting for me in the fridge when I got home from work. A fresh-food delivery service dropped off a bunch of meals to me the day before to try (and unfortunately, they weren’t all that good, so you won’t be learning more about them). This salad was just okay and didn’t keep me full very long, but I did enjoy the potatoes, salmon chunks and hard-boiled egg in it. I’ve always been drawn to the nicoise, but that word can be hard to say. Am I right?
Afternoon snack at 3:45 p.m.
The classics: Fresh fruit and a Publix granola bar. How did I get so lucky to enjoy a Publix product while on the West Coast? An amazing person sent me some Publix goodies, and as you can imagine, I’m loving them all. This was the perfect amount of fuel to give me energy for my workout.
Post-workout protein at 5:30 p.m.
Chilled and delicious: Other than that “post-workout high,” there’s not much I like more about exercising than digging into a chilled and tasty protein shake after-the-fact. The folks at Les Mills sent me a few packets of their line, Good Protein, and good is an understatement to describe it. It’s totally yummy, and it recharged me after a tough workout at Orangetheory, which was a “run/row” for all you OTF folks out there.
Un-pictured little pouch of coconut water consumed around 7 p.m.
Dinner at 8:30 p.m.
If it ain’t broke: Even though Dave was home for dinner, we had a lot of leftovers that he was fine to eat, so I decided to make my staple meal — a baked sweet potato, runny eggs and roasted vegetables — and let him eat the other stuff. This meal will never get old. It was perfect.
I ended the night with some vanilla soy milk straight from the carton. And that was that.
Read more daily eating recaps
Each week, “What I Ate Wednesday” is hosted by Peas and Crayons for bloggers to showcase their eats to the world. If you want to see more food recaps, check out some of my posts from the past here:
- A full day of eating in pictures
- Another full day of my eats and drinks
- Real food isn’t always pretty
- Do you have a balanced dining out strategy?
- What I ate and drank all day
- Three meals, two snacks and a shake
- Food trucks and rest-day eating
- Plenty of protein at every meal
- Colorful fuel for a day of training
- Long days of training require a lot of food
- Making do on “What I Ate Wednesday”
- Healthy foods for a rest day
- Who doesn’t like pictures of food?
- A look at a full day of eating in pictures
- Snapshots from a day of delicious meals
- Pictures of food, because you like them
- Food pictures and the juice cleanse that wasn’t
- A look at what I really eat in a day
- What I ate in the Sunshine State
- My weekend eats and a little narrative
- Stories about food and yesterday’s meals
- A day of eating and some commentary
- Do you want to know what I ate yesterday?
- Healthy challenges and foods from my day
- Eating, napping and eating again
- Filling up on healthy food before the holiday
- A perfect birthday at home and my eats
- Top blog posts, reader stats and my food
- A different kind of training and my food
- Joining a healthy green movement and my eats
- Must-try veggie pasta tip and my eats
- Are you eating this sweet and satisfying fruit?
- What a difference a week makes and my eats
- On Wednesdays we look at pictures of food
- Food, drinks and a very hydrating giveaway
- Front-loading all the healthy this week
- MealEnders giveaway and back to healthy food
- Eating, drinking and sharing the pictures
- I don’t like bad people, I do like good food
- Smart training nutrition tips and my meals
- “What I Ate Wednesday” and a Phenoh 7.4 review
- What my daily meals look like in pictures
- Food pictures from a light and healthy day
- Life lately and a look at all of my meals
- What’s normal to you? (And my daily eats)
- A bit of chatter and “What I Ate Wednesday”
- How you eat beets and a look at a day of food
- What I ate yesterday in the Sunshine State
- A full day of lazy eating from the weekend
- Every thing I ate yesterday in pictures
- BlogFest 2015 and “What I Ate Wednesday”
- Why I refuel after a workout and my daily eats
- Random life updates and a look at my food
Questions of the day
Do you usually make your lunch or buy your lunch?
What’s the best thing you’ve eaten lately?
Do you have any suggestions for our Maui vacation? Should we rent a car?