Happy “What I Ate Wednesday” to my friends out there. What’s going on in your week? Things are going quite well over here. Just a bunch of fitness and writing.
Today, I’m teaching BODYATTACK not once — but twice — so wish me luck on both occurrences. Outside of my BODYATTACK initial and advanced instructor trainings, I don’t think I’ve ever done the workout full out more than once in a day. While I used to teach a weekly double-header of BODYATTACK and BODYPUMP back-to-back, I found that combination very doable, due to the fact that the first workout was cardio and the second workout was resistance. But today, it’s two full hours of tough cardio featuring tuck jumps, plyo lunges and much, much, more. Granted, I will have about five hours to recover today between my Attacking sessions, so all should be golden by the time the evening rolls around for session two. And hey, with all the sweating I’ll be doing today, I will be sure to hydrate and stick to my fresh goals I wrote about yesterday.
So it’s Wednesday, which means today I’m going to share with you a full day of my meals. I hope you find these weekly posts somewhat entertaining — whether you take away examples of healthy-food combinations you want to emulate or you just like looking at real food. Sometimes pretty, sometimes not so much.
Here’s a look at everything I ate yesterday, which was a normal and healthy Tuesday, featuring some of the usual suspects.
Breakfast at 8 a.m.
Oats MaGoats. I’m back on the overnight-oats bandwagon this week. This combination features plain Greek yogurt, rolled oats, chia seeds, vanilla almond milk and cinnamon, all of which I mixed into a bowl and stored in the fridge overnight. In the morning, I pulled it out and topped it with a banana. Of course, I enjoyed this with some hot green tea, sweetened with stevia and almond milk.
Mid-morning snack at 11 a.m.
A health bar. I was so incredibly excited to rip into this brand new Pure Organic Vanilla Almond Ancient Grains Bar when a box of these arrived at my doorstep the other day (I won a giveaway on another blog), yet I must say — this bar is not all that good. A little bit dry, bland and tasteless. I mean, it’s clearly not a candy bar (the ingredients are natural and clean, it’s gluten free, organic and vegan and only 150 calories), but I still expected to like it more than I did compared to other healthy bars. Nonetheless, it held me over until lunch, and I’ll finish the box no matter what. I do not waste food.
Lunch at 12:30 p.m.
Salad, salad, salad. I’ve been back on a salad kick this week after a very long hiatus (for instance, how about this little beauty I had on Monday as well). On the bottom of this bowl are some mixed greens, and on top of that I’ve got tomatoes, artichokes, purple cabbage, tuna and of course, a fried egg. I also added some balsamic vinaigrette dressing throughout. Good stuff.
Afternoon snack at 4 p.m.
A bar and a beverage. Two protein bars in one day? Well isn’t that a lot of packaged food? Maybe so, but the ingredients in both of the ones I had this day are not that bad. And I’m a fan of bars, so it’s not a big deal at all. I’m also a fan of flavored beverages, and I enjoyed this Phenoh 7.4 Alkaline Sports Drink for an afternoon hydration kick before heading to the gym to teach.
Post-workout recovery at 6:30 p.m.
Protein, baby. I just received a big shipment from the nice folks at Nutrition53 (a Bay Area company, woohoo) so I can sample their protein products, and of course, the first one I wanted to try was this single-serve Nutrition53 Vegan1 Shake. It’s made from plant-based protein, including pea protein, has 20 grams of protein, no dairy, gluten or soy and includes 10 fruits and vegetables and extra fiber. I’ll share more about the other products in the line soon in a full review. But suffice to say, this was just what I needed after teaching BODYPUMP.
Dinner at 8:30 p.m.
Colorful and so good. This was such a good dinner. I steamed up some broccoli slaw and spinach, topped that with tomato-basil pasta sauce and had two grilled roasted-garlic chicken-sausage links on the side. Yes, I mixed this all together in every bite, and it was a really enjoyable meal to close out the day. After that, I had some vanilla almond milk and hit the couch for a TV session before going to bed.
That’s all for my report! Another day of eats in the books. Have a very happy Wednesday, and I’ll see you back here tomorrow.
More daily eating recaps
Each week, “What I Ate Wednesday” is hosted by Peas and Crayons for bloggers to showcase their eats to the world. If you want to see more food recaps, check out some of my posts from the past here:
- A full day of eating in pictures
- Another full day of my eats and drinks
- Real food isn’t always pretty
- Do you have a balanced dining out strategy?
- What I ate and drank all day
- Three meals, two snacks and a shake
- Food trucks and rest-day eating
- Plenty of protein at every meal
- Colorful fuel for a day of training
- Long days of training require a lot of food
- Making do on “What I Ate Wednesday”
- Healthy foods for a rest day
- Who doesn’t like pictures of food?
- A look at a full day of eating in pictures
- Snapshots from a day of delicious meals
- Pictures of food, because you like them
- Food pictures and the juice cleanse that wasn’t
- A look at what I really eat in a day
- What I ate in the Sunshine State
- My weekend eats and a little narrative
- Stories about food and yesterday’s meals
- A day of eating and some commentary
- Do you want to know what I ate yesterday?
- Healthy challenges and foods from my day
- Eating, napping and eating again
- Filling up on healthy food before the holiday
- A perfect birthday at home and my eats
- Top blog posts, reader stats and my food
- A different kind of training and my food
- Joining a healthy green movement and my eats
- Must-try veggie pasta tip and my eats
- Are you eating this sweet and satisfying fruit?
- What a difference a week makes and my eats
- On Wednesdays we look at pictures of food
- Food, drinks and a very hydrating giveaway
- Front-loading all the healthy this week
- MealEnders giveaway and back to healthy food
- Eating, drinking and sharing the pictures
- I don’t like bad people, I do like good food
- Smart training nutrition tips and my meals
- “What I Ate Wednesday” and a Phenoh 7.4 review
Questions of the day
What’s the best thing you’ve eaten lately?
What type of food do you most look forward to eating each day?
Did you or will you work out today?