The past few days spending time with my family in Florida have been just awesome. Full of food, laughter, relaxing, down-time, visits with old friends and so much more.
A few highlights …
- A beautiful Thanksgiving Day, featuring cooking, a delicious dinner, a rousing family game of Apples to Apples, and copious amounts of dessert. I helped my Mom in the kitchen by making a roasted veggie side dish, and then I set the table, but she did most of the heavy lifting and put together one perfect spread for our group of six. (Dave, me, my parents and my brother and his girlfriend.)
- A breakfast date with some of my girlfriends and their husbands at First Watch on the day after Thanksgiving. Melissa was one of my bridesmaids, and Jessica was a very close high school friend. We sat outside at the restaurant for nearly two hours and could have stayed all day. There’s nothing like catching up with old pals, especially when one of them has an adorable six-month-old baby boy.
- Several long outdoor walks with all of the dogs, including a visit to a nearby community park at dusk, in which Rudy’s coat of fur picked up every piece of grass available and brought it all back home.
- Watching old family movies filmed more than 20 years ago. The videos and memories were great, but so was the fact that all six of us adults had to watch them surrounding a single laptop, because of technical difficulties with the audio connector to the big TV. Good times.
- Quite a few stops at Starbucks for my beloved matcha green tea lattes nearly every single afternoon. I’m hooked.
- Staying off of my computer and phone all day, outside of posting a few pictures and scrolling through Instagram here-and-there.
- A family trip to the movies to see “Spectre,” which is the first time I’ve been to the movies in about two years. It was definitely a good movie, but a little too long for my liking, clocking in at more than two hours.
- Scrumptious home-cooked family dinners, drinking wine in the kitchen in my pajamas and spending a lot of time laughing at the dogs.
This Florida visit isn’t quite done yet either. Dave and I are visiting a friend in St. Pete on our way to spend the night in Orlando and enjoy our old stomping grounds. We fly back to San Francisco early tomorrow morning and will quickly be back into our regular routine of work, busy schedules and much cooler temperatures. But for one more day, it’s holiday vacation mode. Bring on the cheer.
My weekly fitness and workout recap
The past two weeks haven’t really been too focused on fitness. As someone who teaches group exercise classes, works in fitness and spends a lot of time at the gym — I’ve taken this time to step back from most workouts. And that’s totally okay to do every once in a while. But because I’m a creature of habit, I’m still sharing my recap with you.
(Photo credit to Leah Bentley Photography, 2015.)
- Monday: Went on a 45-minute walk
- Tuesday: Went on a 30-minute walk, did a 15-minute upper-body resistance band workout
- Wednesday: Did a 30-minute CXWORX core workout at home
- Thursday: Went on a 45-minute walk
- Friday: Rest day
- Saturday: Went on a 45-minute walk, did a 15-minute lower-body resistance band workout
- Sunday: Did a 30-minute CXWORX core workout at home
What was good about my week of workouts?
This past week was incredibly light for me compared to my usual line-up of fitness, much like the week before this one. I would say the highlights of the week included three walks outdoors — some of which were done solo while listening to podcasts, some of which were done partially with my Mom and my little dog. Because of all of this time off, my body is 100 percent rested, relaxed and recovered, that’s for sure.
What could have been better about my week of workouts?
This past week didn’t have any intense workouts at all, nor did I lift any weights or do any yoga — all of which are elements of a strong week of fitness. But I’ll be back in the gym later this week and will take care of it all.
That’s it for today, my friends! Have a great day! (P.S. Thanks to Meghan for hosting today’s “Week in Review” link-up.)Thanksgiving holiday fun and #fitness. Check this out ... #WeeklyWorkouts Click To Tweet
Questions of the day
What did you do this weekend?
How was your Thanksgiving, if you celebrated?
What’s your workout plan for the week?