Hello, hello! I have some favorites and another giveaway for you, my lovelies. I hope you had a great week! Mine was good — there was a lot of teaching group fitness, writing work and watching Brady discover the world with a healthy dose of screaming in public places too. This weekend, we’re heading to wine country with friends and then doing a little Easter celebration with our family and Dave’s sister. Now, let’s do the faves …
Collagen water GIVEAWAY!
What will they think of next, friends? Now you can drink flavored water infused with quality collagen, thanks to Vital Proteins. I’ve been working through a big shipment of this new collagen water and wanted to give you a chance to win. There are 10 grams of collagen in each bottle and less than 3 grams of sugar, and there are five colorful flavors. You guys know I’ve been taking collagen in some form (always Vital Proteins) for years to help with my hair, skin, nails, joints and even gut health too, and this collagen water is another way to get it in.
The cool part about this product is that with most collagen, you usually have to mix it up with whatever you are drinking (I put mine in my morning tea), but these waters are ready to go as is. And once you open a bottle, it needs to be refrigerated, by the way. I prefer to drink it cold anyhow.
One person will win a 4-pack of EACH flavor, and that’s a lot of collagen water. Here’s how you enter:
- Leave a comment on this blog post below.
- You must also be following A Lady Goes West on Instagram.
- This giveaway is open to those in the U.S. only, and will close on Wednesday, April 30.
Thanks to Vital Proteins for fulfilling it.
Entree bowl meals
I’m still going strong with bowl meals for my lunches most days of the week. And they are warm (which you know if you read my post earlier in the week about why I eat warming foods).
My mom sent me this large white entree bowl, which looks like a plate but has bowl sides so you can fit a whole lot of food on it. Why have I never had one of these before?
Here’s a recent lunch in my entree bowl … sauerkraut, two eggs, half of a baked white sweet potato (Brady ate the other half), half of an avocado, sautéed arugula and some sesame crackers, covered in sea salt, black pepper and turmeric. Delish.
Taking Brady to story-time at the library
If you follow my Instagram stories, you know that during the last month I’ve been taking Brady to a free story-time at the Pleasant Hill Library a couple times a week, and it’s the cutest. Basically, parents and nannies bring small children to an area of the library, where you sit and watch a very animated library worker read a story, sing songs and do other little interactive activities, perfectly designed for toddlers and preschoolers.
The best thing about taking Brady to story-time is that he sits on my lap the entire time and is very snuggly (which only happens at home when he is tired or wants me to read him a book — otherwise he can’t wait to wiggle out of my arms and run around).
Sometimes he stands up in my lap and turns around so he can people-watch behind us too, instead of watching the actual story being read or the activities taking place in front of us. He eats his snacks, smiles, watches other kids and then, when story-time is over, he goes up to the front and gets a sticker. Perhaps his favorite part of the whole event seems to be running wild throughout the library stacks after the official story-time is done. And because there are so many kids around, this is quite appropriate. (Whereas, I’ve taken him to the library when there wasn’t story-time going on, and he got some looks when he was going crazy through the aisles.)
I don’t know why I waited so long to take Brady to this activity, because it’s free, it’s fun for both of us, and it’s a good way for him to be around a lot of kiddos too. Oh and for my local friends, on Fridays, the guy who does story-time plays the guitar, and it draws a crowd, so you’ve got to get there early to claim a place.
Truth be told, I was pretty hesitant to do a lot of kid activities, because I didn’t think I’d enjoy them, but I pretty much love everything we do together. Ohhhhh mom life.
Weekly workout recap
Let’s look at my workouts from last week …
- Monday: 1-hour BODYPUMP class, 10 a.m.
- Tuesday: Taught 45-minute BODYATTACK class, 4:45 p.m.
- Wednesday: 20 minutes of BODYATTACK, 10 a.m., taught 1-hour barre class, 5 p.m.
- Thursday: Taught 1-hour barre class, 12 p.m., 45-minute SoulCycle class, 6:30 p.m.
- Friday: 30-minute weights workout, 10 a.m., 30 minutes of BODYATTACK, 4:30 p.m.
- Saturday: 1-hour BODYATTACK class, 9:30 a.m.
- Sunday: Rest day
Too much cardio! This past week was full of practicing BODYATTACK, and I sense that will be the norm moving forward, so I’m going to have to be creative to fit in more workouts that are just for me. Definitely a class-heavy week over here. I really need to focus on more weights though, so let’s hope I can get back to that soon.
Here’s the one solo weights workout that I did this week … (you can find the rest on my Instagram story highlights under workouts, or in this post with a lot of workouts to give you some ideas). Oh and apparently this slide had a typo, which I just realized when I went to pull it off Instagram. Whoops.
Some things I enjoyed from around the web …
- Safer beauty in the U.S. Beautycounter was on “CBS This Morning” earlier this week, and the 5-minute segment is all about how men and women are putting many chemicals on their bodies each day, and a lot of those chemicals are banned in the European Union, but not here. Beautycounter is trying to change that. Take a watch. And you can shop Beautycounter here. 🙂
- Showering FAQs. Have you ever wondered how often you should be showering? Me too. This article answers all your shower-related questions. But no one can tell me I can’t take long hot showers, because as a mom, when I get to do those alone — those are glorious.
- A mindset hack. I used to put my phone on airplane mode every single night when I was pregnant, and I somehow got out of the habit, but this article is making me want to revisit that beneficial setting.
A Lady Goes West favorites …
- Hormones and fertility. This is is a super long post compiling everything I’ve learned about food, lifestyle and workouts in order to keep my body feeling great … “How I protect my fertility and hormones (life after recovering from hypothalamic amenorrhea part 2).”
- Corporate life vs. entrepreneur life. Because I’ve done both … “Career real-talk: What it’s like to work for yourself or someone else.”
Thanks for reading today!
Don’t forget to enter the giveaway by leaving a comment on this post. Your email won’t be shared publicly, if you are nervous about commenting. Have a wonderful day! xoxo
P.S. The winner’s of last week’s giveaway were Amanda M. and Jessica A.
Questions of the day
What are you up to this weekend?
What’s the best thing that happened in your week?
What flavor collagen water would you most like to try?