Hi, my friends! How are you? I hope you’re doing well, and I want to officially welcome you to the month of February! It may be the beginning of the month, but it’s also the end of the week, so I’ve put together a random selection my latest favorites, and I hope you enjoy them!
This past week wasn’t the best for the A Lady Goes West crew, but we’re coming around. Brady was teething and had a cold, I was a little under the weather (apparently when you have a toddler, you get sick a lot more often than you’re used to, in spite of your best efforts to stay totally healthy), Dave was out of town for work for much of it and a few other things didn’t quite go our way. But the good news is that we’re on the mend and ready for a fun weekend, complete with some friend stuff and even a visit to the spa.
Let’s transition into the faves. Shall we? 🙂
Super simple and healthy sides with Hungryroot
Truth be told, whenever I get an email from another food company trying to send me food kits, I say no. I’ve liked a few, but I just don’t love all the packaging and the confusing instructions and the stress of knowing how much food you have in your fridge and you have to eat before it goes bad. Anyone else?
Well, right before hitting the delete button on an email from the PR agency for Hungryroot, I actually decided to click through to find out more (that’s an exaggeration, I usually send a “no thanks” to PR emails that don’t interest me, having been a PR gal in my previous years, I like to be straight with others, but you get the point).
I’m glad I did, because Hungryroot doesn’t send you meal kits with intricate measured-out ingredients, they send you VERY simple sides or combos, which can be prepared together or separately, so there’s food to eat even if you don’t cook it. And the food is very healthy and ready in 10 minutes or less — with most dishes made up of fresh vegetables.
Hungryroot gave me two weeks of complimentary deliveries for one to try out (they also have a family plan, which I didn’t sample), and I shared with Dave, and we used the combinations as sides to our dinners a few times, and the rest I ate for lunch. I also added eggs and sauerkraut to round out the plate, because that’s what I do.
Here’s what I’ve had and enjoyed …
- Butternut squash tofu curry (shared with Dave, took 10 minutes to make, totally delish)
- Kale pesto sautéed greens (had twice, pretty tasty)
- Basil zucchini white bean salad (pre-made, had it with lunch, loved it)
- Cucumber corn black bean salad (pre-made, had it with lunch, yum)
- Creamy red pepper avocado greens (shared with Dave, took 10 minutes, mild and tasty)
- Smoky green lentil salad (pre-made, had it with lunch, a little strange, but good)
- Peanut butter coconut cookies (small, pre-made, healthy)
- Black bean brownie batter (yasssss, I need more of this in my life)
I could have made a meal out of some of the combos if I didn’t share them with Dave, but they would make smaller meals. That’s why I liked the pre-made sides so much, because they were a super easy addition to my lunches. Everything combined, I probably had almost enough for a small lunch each day of the week from one box.
You can choose what you want in your box too, which is helpful, so you don’t get stuck with flavor profiles you aren’t a fan of. I went with the plant-based plan, but they also offer meat and fish. And they have desserts, which are in dough form that you heat up or are ready to eat as is. I ate the black bean brownie batter straight from the tub. No shame. It was so good, and I want more right now.
Will I continue with Hungryroot? Not right now. I liked having some extra food with different flavors and combinations to try, but because I already like my meals and have enough variety in my diet, I wouldn’t need to rely on it. But I would definitely recommend it to others who want to eat healthy and do a bit of cooking, but nothing hard or intricate at all, especially if you get bored with what you eat and need some new ideas.
The food is simple, healthy and tasty, and you can’t beat that. If you want to try Hungryroot, you can get $25 off your first box with this code: 25OFF2ASHLEY.
Much-needed date night with Dave
When Dave and I sat down and looked at our days and weekends in the near future, it appeared that we are a bit overbooked for the next month. During the week, Dave is gone a lot, with quite a few weekend games as well, and I have all sorts of daytime weekend activities coming up too, which means our time off doesn’t overlap well.
That being said, after a rough week last week, we decided to call our sitter for a last-minute date night on Saturday. We went to a new restaurant in Lafayette called Barranco Cocina Peruana and then even went to a little bar for a beverage too. Dinner was delicious, I enjoyed getting dressed up (I wore this dress, which some of you asked about on Instagram, and is the same one I wore for our family photos), and it was overall a good escape to be out and about at night.
One of our goals for the year is to do at least one date night (not a group get together) a month, and so far we’re winning with two down in January. Yay!
New Adidas kicks and a story about an evolving style
It’s funny how your style can somewhat shift over the years, you know? When I lived in Florida, I was much more “formal,” if you will. I dressed up a lot for work (which was a requirement at two of my three corporate jobs I held there, and I even had to wear pantyhose during my first role at Disney as part of the “Disney Look,” which has become much less strict as the years have gone on), and then I was more of a sundress and sandals type of gal during the daytimes, heels and sparkly tops at night. And I would never go out and about in my workout clothes after the gym unless I really had to. Like ever. Oh how times have changed. I sometimes cringe at what I leave the house in these days actually.
I have a much more casual style now, and a lot of that comes from living in the Bay Area, which is an all-around more casual place. And of course, a lot of that also comes from being a mom, who teaches fitness classes and doesn’t have to go into an office.
Nonetheless, I still like clothes, I just don’t buy quite as many, nor do I dress up as much. I tend to buy less things, but nicer things too — which is a great way to keep the closet from overflowing.
I know a lot of you are maybe just getting into the Marie Kondo tidying thing (now that she has a Netflix show, it seems she is much more of a household name), but I went through that process a couple years ago when pregnant and even listed her book on this, “Three wellness books that changed my life.” And it was great for me, because I’m a minimalist at heart, and I love to purge — clothes especially. And once I purge multiple items, I know I get to add something back.
Well that was a long intro to talk about my newest casual sneakers I’ve been loving …
They are so simple and classic and can be worn with shorts or jeans or maybe even a casual dress. They are flat-footed which is a bit of a change from normal athletic sneakers, and they have some nice gold accents and are leather so should hold up nicely. Here they are. I expect these to be a good footwear staple for at least a couple years.
Weekly workout recap
And now we’re into the fitness portion. Let’s look at my workouts — or lack thereof — from last week …
- Monday: Rest day
- Tuesday: 20-minute walk on the treadmill, stretching, 11 a.m.
- Wednesday: Rest day
- Thursday: Leisure 1-hour stroll with a friend, 9:30 a.m.
- Friday: Rest day
- Saturday: Rest day
- Sunday: Super gentle yoga stretching class, 12 p.m.
This past week was different, right? I had to take some time off of the gym and working out because of a bit of a physical setback, so I did. I missed it a lot, but I’ll be okay and back into things soon enough. It’s okay to take breaks, people. But during this week, I took short walks every day and one longer one, as well as some yoga — so at least there’s that. Boy I missed the weights though!
Best stuff from around the web and TV
- Fitness of the feet. I’m pretty sure I’ve talked about this before, but your feet are very important when it comes to your posture, ability to properly move and engage the right muscles and all of that. The body is entirely connected from your toes to your head, and the feet are the beginning of all movement when they feel the floor. Here’s a great article on why you should care and know about the fitness of your feet and how it could be the answer to other problems you are having. And here are some foot exercises you can do.
- Toxins in the home. I had never listened to The Modern Mama Podcast before, but found this episode about toxins in the home during a search. I listened to it and was so interested. While you can never get rid of all of the toxins in your home, the interior designer and health coach guest on this show tells you some of the things you should consider when remodeling or buying new stuff for your home to minimize your exposure to bad chemicals that could directly impact your health.
- This Is Us. Random, but we’re finally starting to get through “This Is Us,” and I just LOVE it. We’re on season two, about halfway through, and all the storylines and actors are amazing. Who else watches? No spoilers, please!
A Lady Goes West Favorite archives
- Being an informed consumer. I really enjoyed getting a bit more in-depth as to what you should be on the lookout for in your cleaning, home, personal care and food purchases … “What you should be looking for on the labels of your products and a GIVEAWAY.” — This giveaway is still open, so make sure you enter. You can also enter it on Instagram for a second chance to win.
- Work life. This post was one that I’m so glad I wrote based on my career experiences in two different worlds. I can even look back at it myself if I ever need a reminder … “Career real talk: What it’s like to work for yourself or someone else.”
By the way, I’m working on a Brady update for the blog very soon, and I’d love to know if you have any motherhood or baby questions that I can address. Leave them as a comment below or shoot me an email. Thank you, my friends! Be good!
P.S. Congrats to Stephanie and Stefanie (yes, for reals, that happened) for winning a tub of collagen each in this giveaway.
Questions of the day
How was your week?
How has your style changed over the years?
What are you up to this weekend?
What show are you most loving right now?