Hello, beautiful friends! A very happy Friday to you. And welcome to what may be the last “current faves” of the year on A Lady Goes West. By the way, just so you know, I’m planning to cut back to only one blog post per week for the last two weeks of the year for a tiny break, so we will resume “current faves” in 2022.
This week was busy with all the usual stuff, and I was feeling a little run-down, to tell you the truth, so I did a lot of extra sleeping, when I could. Also this week, Brady had his last few days of school for the year, and Dave was gone for some of the week on a work trip to San Francisco. We’re happy to welcome him back tonight.
This evening, we’re heading to a holiday party at a friends’ house, with another holiday party at another friends’ house tomorrow. But the thing I’m most looking forward to this weekend is teaching a special holiday barre and bubbles event with some fellow instructors at Life Time. It has been so fun to spend time this week choreographing the section I’m teaching to some of my favorite Christmas tunes, because I’m already a big fan of holiday music. Also, just typing all these activities out gives me a clue as to why I’ve been a little tired lately, right?
Now let’s move on to the faves of the day …
Our holiday gala
A favorite, favorite, for sure! Last weekend, on Saturday night, we had our holiday gala at our country club, and it was the best time.
I hadn’t been to a big event like this in forever, and it was everything we had hoped for and more. We danced, we had great food, we had great drinks, and we enjoyed great company with our neighborhood friends. And we ended the night with our shoes off on the dance-floor, begging the deejay to play just one more song.
I have to say this quick note: If I had known this time last year, when we were planning for our big cross-country move, that this time this year, I would have found a group and community like this, I would have been totally ecstatic. We are so lucky to have landed here at this time with these people.
Now, let’s do a photo dump from the event … some of which I shared on my Instagram stories already.
My holiday gala dress
This is the dress I wore to the gala, and I’m wearing a size 4, and it was so comfortable. I also wore it to a wedding this summer, and I love to wear a special occasion item more than once. This dress is also available on sale in white, and I like the look of that one too, but wouldn’t grab that one for a wedding for obvious reasons. My shoes are super old and have been worn to too many events and weddings before, by the way, so no link to share for those. I really need some new heels, I guess.
And now for some good ones from the photo-booth, which we visited maybe six times throughout the course of the night … 🙂
Such a great evening, and we’ll stop there.
“Eat Smarter” by Shawn Stevenson
Seriously changing the subject with this one, but that’s just how “current faves” posts roll …
Because I’m such a Shawn Stevenson fan, I had this book (“Eat Smarter“) on my radar for a while and just knew I would love it. A few weeks ago, I checked it out of the library and began working through it, slowly but surely, trying to absorb all the powerful information.
Then a few weeks into my reading journey, I bought my own copy off Amazon. Because not only did I want to support Shawn (he’s awesome, and I had the chance to work with him in person a few years ago through 24 Hour Fitness), but I also wanted to spend more time with the book. And I wanted to keep it in my collection (and it’s now on my shelf with all my other a-game books).
(“Eat Smarter” by Shawn Stevenson)
This book is so full of valuable information about exactly what foods can do in your life, down to the science of how specific nutrients act in your system. Shawn even offers a 30-day eating plan to help you clean up your diet and eating habits, which I didn’t follow, but I did glance through. I’ve already recommended this book to a few people in my life, who I know will get so much out of it.
If you like a good read and you’re ready to learn a ton about nutrition, healthy habits and more, get this book ASAP. I may speak more on it soon!
This section of the post is where I share all the workouts I did the previous week. I want to remind you that I do more than the average person, because I’m a group fitness instructor, and it’s part of my job.
Your personal workout week should work with your lifestyle, be diverse and leave you feeling energized. It doesn’t need to look like mine or anyone else’s. It’s yours.
- Monday: Taught 1-hour full-body barbell class at Life Time, 9:45 a.m.
- Tuesday: Taught 1-hour barre class with light weights at Life Time, 9:45 a.m.
- Wednesday: 45-minute lower-body weights workout at Life Time, 9:30 a.m.
- Thursday: Taught 45-minute weights/cardio class at Life Time, 9:45 a.m.
- Friday: Took 1-hour hot yoga class at Life Time, 9 a.m.
- Saturday: Rest day
- Sunday: Rest day
This past week of workouts was a good one. I took two full days of rest, and I did a full yoga session, so I had a lot of recovery. This time of year, I don’t mind taking some extra days off, and my body doesn’t mind either. How about you? Are you taking regular rest days? Hope so! (And here’s an older post you may find helpful … “How to talk yourself into taking a day off from exercise each week.”)
Here’s the workout I did in the gym last week …
A Lady Goes West favorite products
There are certain brands that I swear by in my own life, and so I like to share them with you. If you choose to try them too, and if you use my links or promo codes, you will be supporting me.
- Carbon38. I’m always wearing stuff from here, and it’s the coolest activewear around. Get 15 percent off your first two orders of $100 or more using the code ASHLEYPITT.
- G2G protein bars. I love these tasty and minimal-ingredient protein bars. You can get 15 percent off your order on the G2G Bar site with the code ALADYGOESWEST.
- Organifi supplements. This is my go-to protein powder brand. You can get 15 percent off your order on the Organifi site with the code ALADYGOESWEST.
- Beautycounter. The best safe skincare and makeup. Send me a message, and I’ll share a 20 percent off code for your very first order.
- Les Mills On Demand workouts. My favorite fitness brand. You can do a whole month of workouts during a free 30-day trial by using my special referral link here.
A couple of good ones from the week …
- Muffin recipes for kids. My Instagram friend, Heather, of Fit Mama Real Food, is a super-talented healthy recipe developer, and she’s an expert at getting her four kids to help her in the kitchen. Heather debuted a muffin book this week, and it’s gorgeous. Available in hard or digital copies, there are tons of easy and tasty recipes for mommas to make with their kiddos. Check out “Everyday Muffin Party!” here to support a woman doing great work.
- Mirror work for self acceptance. Okay, this sounds a little woo-woo, I know. But I think it’s very important to take a moment to talk to yourself with positive affirmations. This article is all about how to make this mirror work a habit in a three-week period, starting with five minutes a day. It may seem silly, but we all could use a little more self acceptance and love. Go for it.
Here’s the thought of the week …
A Lady Goes West favorite archives
- Reader favorites. It’s fun to see the things that I share that resonate the most with you … “The seven most popular things I’ve shared that you’ve bought in 2021 (reader favorites).”
- Real self-care. Because even around the holidays, we have to take care of ourselves … “Small and realistic ways to take care of yourself as a busy lady.”
Thank you for coming by A Lady Goes West, my friends. I hope you have a wonderful weekend. And I’ll see you back here next week. Stay hydrated, and be kind to yourself! 🙂
Questions of the day
How was your week?
What’s one thing you’re looking forward to this weekend?
Are you taking a rest day off exercise each week?