Hi, my friends! How are you? I hope you are doing well!
We’re finishing up a big week over here, because Brady finally went back to school. More on that below. This weekend, there’s not much on the agenda for us but some work and play. And we’re looking forward to welcoming Dave home from a big work trip in London — thank goodness. Let’s get into the faves …
Brady’s first day of preschool
As crazy as it is to think, this is Brady’s fourth preschool, because of COVID, school closures and moving. But we’re so happy with the place that we have him enrolled for this year (and hopefully next), and Brady seems to like it too so far.
This week, Brady started school, and he’ll be going for four mornings a week moving forward. He was very excited for his first day, and as I expected, he hopped out of the car at the drop-off line smiling, chatting and with zero nerves. He’s very adaptable and had no problem adjusting. I am happy for him, but I definitely shed a tear or two as he walked into the building that first day.
Brady was all decked out in a new outfit, with a new backpack, new lunchbox and new face masks too, because his school is requiring masks for all kiddos for the time being. We’ve had the chance to go to Brady’s classroom and meet his teachers, and they seem so sweet. I’m sure he’ll be telling us stories about his new friends in no time.
Also, this year, Brady will be bringing his lunch to school for the first time. Here’s hoping for a great, safe and healthy year for him and his classmates. And here’s to a few extra free hours a week for me too!
(Here are my leggings, and my code ASHLEYPITT gets you 15 percent off them on Carbon38.)
Brady’s school supplies
Here’s a look at what we got Brady to start the year …
New “mom” jeans
This was a project, and I had to share about it.
Here’s the deal: Over the last month, I ordered and tried on maybe ten pairs of looser “mom” or “boyfriend” style jeans before finding one pair that I actually like the look of. I have to thank my friend, Heather, who mentioned she got some good ones from Express. I went on the site and ordered these and am so happy with them.
(Find my jeans here.)
I ordered a size six, and they are loose in the waist and leg, and they get even a little looser during a day of wearing, which is the look I was going for. They are so comfortable, it’s going to be hard to go back to skinny jeans one day. I wore these two days in a row the first weekend they arrived, and I plan to repeat that. Three cheers for well-priced and comfy jeans that don’t make me miss leggings.
Smoothie King Vegan Pumpkin
All about that pumpkin!
Last week, Dave got an email that Smoothie King debuted their fall line-up of smoothies, so we immediately went to the menu to see what was available. As you know, I’m a basic pumpkin person, and I decided to try the Vegan Pumpkin, which has oat milk, dates, bananas, organic pumpkin, spices and plant-based protein powder. Literally, it was the tastiest pumpkin beverage I’ve ever tasted.
I let Dave take a sip, and it was far too pumpkin-y for him, so if you’re not into the real deal, this one would be too intense. I plan to be getting one of these once a week for the rest of the fall season, for sure. So happy we have a Smoothie King less than five minutes away from us now so I can make that happen.
A college football outing
I briefly mentioned in the last edition of “current faves” that Dave and I went to a football game and tailgate hosted by one of the leaders in Dave’s company. Well, I figured it was worth a mention here too, because it was a good time.
(Here are some sandals very similar to what I’m wearing.)
We went to the East Carolina vs. Appalachian State game at Bank of America Stadium in Uptown Charlotte, and it was so fun. I can’t tell you the last time I got to tail gate or go to a big sporting event or see those stadium lights, and I had missed it all.
We had a great time, and it made me eager to do more things like this now that we’re back to living in the South. We did see a lot of basketball in California, but not much else, other than a couple baseball games.
While I’m not exactly a fan of either of the college teams that played that night, I am a fan of fresh air, activities and meeting new people — and I got to do all of that with this. Also, the BBQ food at the tailgate was delicious.
I feel like this part always needs a disclaimer.
This section of the post is where I share all the workouts I did the previous week. I want to remind you that I do more than the average person, because I’m a group fitness instructor, and it’s part of my job.
For most people, a 30-minute workout several times a week is totally sufficient. Just stay consistent and move your body in ways that feel good to you.
And here’s a post you may find helpful: “How do you know if a workout is right for you?”
- Monday: Taught 1-hour full-body barbell workout at Life Time, 9:45 a.m.
- Tuesday: Taught 1-hour barre class with light weights at Life Time, 9:45 a.m.
- Wednesday: 20-minute walk/run on treadmill via Peloton app, 10 a.m.
- Thursday: Taught 45-minute weights/cardio class at Life Time, 10 a.m.
- Friday: Took 1-hour barre class with light weights at Life Time, 10 a.m.
- Saturday: Took 45-minute lower-body weights workout at Life Time, 8:30 a.m.
- Sunday: Rest day
This past week of workouts was class heavy with only one solo workout. I took a rest day, but didn’t fit in any yoga this time, which I’d like to shoot for this upcoming week. I picked up weights several times and had an easy cardio day, so it was still a good week of movement.
A Lady Goes West favorite products
There are certain brands that I swear by in my own life, and so I like to share them with you. If you choose to try them too, and if you use my links or promo codes, you will be supporting me. Thanks for that!
- Carbon38. I’m always wearing stuff from here, and it’s the coolest activewear around. Get 15 percent off your first two orders of $100 or more using the code ASHLEYPITT.
- G2G protein bars. I love these tasty and minimal-ingredient protein bars. You can get 15 percent off your order on the G2G Bar site with the code ALADYGOESWEST.
- Organifi supplements. This is my go-to protein powder brand. You can get 15 percent off your order on the Organifi site with the code ALADYGOESWEST.
- Beautycounter. The best safe skincare and makeup. Send me a message, and I’ll share a 20 percent off code for your very first order.
- Les Mills On Demand workouts. My favorite fitness brand. You can do a whole month of workouts during a free 30-day trial by using my special referral link here.
A couple of good ones from around the web
- The glutes. This article from Les Mills tells you why strong glute muscles (your backside) are important, and it also gives you examples of the best ways to work those important glute muscles. Hint hint: The weighted hip thrust can be even better than the weighted squat.
- Reading comprehension. Okay, this isn’t a sexy topic, but a good one. Do you ever read something and immediately forget what you read? Here are some super-helpful tips on how to get more from the books that you read. Good stuff.
Here’s the thought of the week …
A Lady Goes West favorite archives
- Toddler food. Because food can be healthy and convenient … “Brady’s favorite foods at almost four years old (the best toddler food).”
- Advice. We’re almost due for another installment. Check out the last one here … “Ask-me-anything A Lady Goes West Advice Corner: fourth edition.”
Thank you for coming by A Lady Goes West, my friends! I hope you have a nice weekend!
Questions of the day
How was your week?
What are you up to this weekend?
Have you had any pumpkin items yet?