Current faves: Pumpkin patch, a romper and workouts
Hi, friends! How are you? I hope you had a nice week! This week was a good one over here, and we expect this weekend to be even better. Our best friends, Grant and Bre, from Columbus, Ohio, are coming down to visit us with their three kiddos (the “big kids” according to Brady). We’re going out to a fancy dinner on Saturday with just the adults, then doing some family Halloween parties and activities on Sunday. It should be a great time. Before the fun begins, let’s get some faves in there …
Visiting Hall Family Farm
Last weekend, we did the required fall visit to a pumpkin patch. And while we were there, we did all the fall things in one stop.
Because the pumpkin patches in the Bay Area were closed last year, we were definitely due for all the fall festivities this time. And this one was my favorite pumpkin patch yet. We went to Hall Family Farm in Lancaster, South Carolina.
I heard about Hall Family Farm from a local Charlotte e-newsletter (Axios, for you local Charlotte folks), and this pumpkin patch had so much to do. It was huge.
We went on a hayride, we saw some animals (just a few goats, pigs and chickens), we rode down a potato-sack slide (which I had never done before), and Brady rode a fire-truck slide and played in a sandbox. In addition to all of that, we even chose the perfect pumpkin from the patch, which Dave and Brady carved later that evening. We only had to pay for the hayride and the pumpkin, and the rest was free, which was pretty good for a pumpkin patch.
Also, another bonus point for Hall Family Farm: Brady dropped his cheapie sunglasses off the side of the hayride and erupted in a major crying fit because of it. After the ride, we spoke to the driver, and he sent someone back out to retrieve them. They called us over the loudspeaker about 15 minutes later to get the sunglasses from the sales tent, and then all was right in the world. 🙂
Overall, some good times, during a low-key family weekend.
The most comfy cotton romper
Have you ever put something on and felt like you wanted to wear that piece over and over again?
I like to like my clothing, but I also like to love my clothing. And I love my new romper. I’ve worn it twice, and it’s super-soft cotton, with a terrycloth feel.
There’s a little cinching at the waist, so it has some shape, and it has elastic at the bottom to make it more like a jogger fit. I’m wearing a medium, and I ordered that size after reading reviews that it would slightly shrink. It did, and I like the relaxed fit, even after the shrinking.
You’ll be seeing this on me quite a bit through the fall, I’m guessing. I can add a denim jacket, a cardigan or a flannel to make it work for the changing weather too. Three cheers for comfy rompers.
This part always needs a disclaimer.
This section of the post is where I share all the workouts I did the previous week. I want to remind you that I do more than the average person, because I’m a group fitness instructor, and it’s part of my job.
Your personal workout week should work with your lifestyle, be diverse and leave you feeling energized. It doesn’t need to look like mine or anyone else’s. It’s yours.
And in order to stay injury free, you should pay attention to the gear you use during your workout. Are you wearing the right shoes? Check out this post to find out … “How to choose the right athletic shoe for your workouts.”
- Monday: Taught 1-hour full-body barbell class at Life Time, 9:45 a.m.
- Tuesday: Taught 1-hour barre class with light weights at Life Time, 9:45 a.m.
- Wednesday: Took 45-minute barre class with light weights at Life Time, 6 p.m.
- Thursday: Taught 45-minute full-body weights/cardio class at Life Time, 10 a.m.
- Friday: Took 1-hour hot yoga class at Life Time, 9 a.m.
- Saturday: Taught 45-minute full-body barbell class at Life Time, 9:45 a.m.
- Sunday: Rest day
This past week of workouts had something different: I went to a new-to-me heated flow yoga class at Life Time, and it felt so amazing on the body. Although I’ve been dabbling in yoga here and there, I haven’t been consistent in a long time. This was the most challenging yoga class I’ve been to in several years (probably since my CorePower Yoga days back in San Francisco), and I totally enjoyed the hot temperatures and intricate flow sequences. I will absolutely be going back to it again. Other than that, I taught four classes, took two classes and enjoyed a full rest day, so it was a great week of movement. Also, look who came to the class I subbed … 🙂
A Lady Goes West favorite products
There are certain brands that I swear by in my own life, and so I like to share them with you. If you choose to try them too, and if you use my links or promo codes, you will be supporting me. Thanks for that!
- Carbon38. I’m always wearing stuff from here, and it’s the coolest activewear around. Get 15 percent off your first two orders of $100 or more using the code ASHLEYPITT.
- G2G protein bars. I love these tasty and minimal-ingredient protein bars. You can get 15 percent off your order on the G2G Bar site with the code ALADYGOESWEST.
- Organifi supplements. This is my go-to protein powder brand. You can get 15 percent off your order on the Organifi site with the code ALADYGOESWEST.
- Beautycounter. The best safe skincare and makeup. Send me a message, and I’ll share a 20 percent off code for your very first order.
- Les Mills On Demand workouts. My favorite fitness brand. You can do a whole month of workouts during a free 30-day trial by using my special referral link here.
The easiest filling snack on the go …
A couple of good ones from around the web
- Changing your pillowcases. I wash our bedding/sheets once a week, but according to this article, I should be washing our pillowcases more often than that. Ick. You can’t unread this one.
- The importance of rest and recovery. Another great article by Precision Nutrition (where I got my PN1 nutrition coaching certification), all about how and why you need to focus on recovery and the different ways you can bring your body and mind back to homeostasis after stressors.
Here’s the thought of the week …
A Lady Goes West favorite archives
- Fitness gear. I’ve waited so long to finally write and share my thoughts on this awesome equipment … “Review of Les Mills Smart Tech equipment and Les Mills Smartbar (and a promo code).”
- Skincare talk. Because you’ve got to take care of your skin, and you want to be doing it right … “Five sneaky skincare mistakes you could be making.”
Thank you for coming by A Lady Goes West, my friends. Hope you have a wonderful day and weekend! Make sure you come say hi on Instagram to check out our Halloween adventures!
Questions of the day
How was your week?
What are you up to this weekend?
Will you be dressing up for Halloween?
We also visited Hall Family Farm recently and it’s so fun. The first time we visited was for strawberry picking and it was just as fun! I love that there are so many family farm options in the Charlotte area!
Hi Joanna! We’ve never been strawberry picking this year but may try to go do that in the spring there. Glad you enjoyed it too. Enjoy the fall-festive weather this weekend! Hope you have a good one!