Hi, my friends! How was your week? Mine was good! Did all the usual teaching classes, writing work, Brady craziness and everything else I usually do. Today’s post has a lot of goodness, including a giveaway with two winners. So here we go …
Food and a GIVEAWAY
How I streamline my morning with Health Warrior
This portion of the post is sponsored by Health Warrior.
Like most of you, I do not have time for a long list of 8 million things to do in the morning. I don’t get up until Brady does (sleep is life), so once we’re up at the same time, we have to get the day started smoothly together. I’m a creature of habit and have created a little system that works for us.
Here are a few ways I streamline my morning …
(1) Chug water by the bed. I keep a big glass of water by the bed, so I can do a quick chug first thing, without even having to go fill up my cup — gotta start the hydration process right off the bat. I feel like this act of drinking right away gives me a little burst of energy too. Also, I tend to think that you can’t make decisions when you’re dehydrated, which will ultimately slow you down in the morning, so drink up.
(2) Eat a quick, healthy breakfast. I always know what I’ll be having for breakfast the next day, so I don’t have to stand in the kitchen and waste time cooking or staring in the fridge. Because either (A) I’ve prepared ahead of time a baked oatmeal or overnight oats, or (B) I have a healthy almost ready-to-eat option, like these Health Warrior microwavable protein muffins, waiting for me. On days I eat one of these muffins, all I do is add some water into the little cup, pop it into the microwave for 1 minute, let it cool, add a banana, pumpkin seeds and a dollop of nut butter and dig in. The ingredients are clean, and the containers make them super convenient for on-the-go days too. More on these muffins below. (And BTW, while it’s always better to make your food from scratch, you can’t do that every single day, and that’s where healthier options like this come in handy — sure beats fast food or a donut, right?)
(3) Don’t get sidetracked by technology before breakfast. I do NOT open my phone and start scrolling first thing in the morning, letting my day get started on the wrong foot and throwing me off track. My hard-and-fast rule is that I get both Brady and me situated with our breakfasts before opening my computer — from there I check emails to see if there’s anything important for a few minutes while I eat. I don’t even check my phone or open Instagram or Facebook until a bit later in the morning once we’re on the move, so I don’t waste any time there.
(4) Check the written plan for the day. Every night, I write down the things I need to get done the next day in my notebook, in a pseudo-bullet journal fashion. And that includes what my workout will be, which dictates what time we head to the gym. Once Brady and I are having breakfast, I will do a quick check of what’s in store for the day, and on most days, we head to the gym for a workout class to get going by 9:30 a.m. or so. Although I do teach my own group fitness classes in the afternoon three days a week, during the other days, I like to get my workout in on the earlier side. There are so many benefits to being a morning exerciser, and I definitely think it gives me more pep in my step the rest of the day.
(5) Do the most important stuff first. Once breakfast is cleaned up, we’ve got our plan for the day, we get dressed and get going on to the first activity. If there’s an important errand, we’ll hit that up first (or right after the gym), so it doesn’t get missed. What’s that saying? Eat the biggest frog first? You know what I mean.
And those are a few of the things that help make the morning go well for us right now (outside of any toddler tantrums, of course).
Now, more about the new Health Warrior protein mug muffins. They each have 12 grams of plant-based protein; they do not have dairy, nor soy; and they are gluten free and non-GMO. They contain 5 grams of fiber, and they are made from superfoods like almonds, sorghum, pumpkin seeds and flax seeds. The available flavors include: blueberry, banana nut and peanut butter chocolate chip. All are good, but I think the PB one is my fave. These muffins are available for sale on the Health Warrior site and you can also find them on Amazon or at Wegmans on the East Coast.
And for the GIVEAWAY …
- TWO lucky readers will each win a 12-pack sampler box of Health Warrior protein mug muffins of various flavors.
- You must reside in the U.S. and you MUST be following both A Lady Goes West and Health Warrior on Instagram to win.
- This giveaway will close on Wednesday, April 17. Good luck!
- To enter: Leave a comment on this blog post. See the questions at the end of the post!
Thanks to Health Warrior for partnering on this mention. I received product and compensation, but all thoughts are my own. Three cheers for healthy food companies.
HUGE Beautycounter friends and family sale right now
Thinking about trying Beautycounter? It’s THE sale of the year for Beautycounter through this weekend, so now’s your chance to try out some safer makeup or skincare, from my favorite beauty company (which is also a Certified B Corp that gives back a LOT to the world). This sale is actually when I first ordered products from Beautycounter last year and gave the brand a shot — clearly I liked it and stuck around for more. 🙂
A few things you may want to know:
- If you order something from Beautycounter and don’t like it, send it back within 60 days and get your money back, minus shipping.
- Everything is cruelty free, nontoxic and safe for pregnant and nursing women (not a lot of other skincare brands can say that).
- More than 130 items are 15 percent off right now until Monday. This kind of deal only comes around maybe once a year outside of Black Friday.
- You can start out by taking this skincare quiz.
- You can sign up for my Beautycounter emails if you want to know more.
Here are some of my favorite Beautycounter items, all of which are currently 15 percent off:
- Bright red lipstick
- Rose sheer lipstick
- Peony lip gloss
- Dew skin tinted moisturizer with SPF 20
- Overnight resurfacing peel
- Charcoal face wash bar
- Charcoal mask
- Cleansing balm
- Eye makeup remover
- Brightening face oil
- Define eyebrow pencil
- Tint skin hydrating foundation
- Rejuvenating night cream
- Rejuvenating day cream
Don’t miss out on this one! Head to the site to look around and order before it ends on Monday. 🙂
Weekly workout recap
Let’s look at my workouts from last week …
- Monday: 1-hour BODYPUMP class, 10 a.m.
- Tuesday: Taught 45-minute BODYATTACK class, 4:45 p.m.
- Wednesday: 20 minutes of BODYPUMP, 12 p.m., taught 1-hour barre class, 5 p.m.
- Thursday: 45-minute gentle yoga class, 11 a.m.
- Friday: 50 minutes of BODYPUMP, 11 a.m.
- Saturday: 30 minutes of BODYATTACK, 9:30 a.m.
- Sunday: Taught 1-hour BODYPUMP class, 8:30 a.m.
This past week had a lot of workouts! I subbed two classes, but also got a sub for one of my usual classes so I could go to an event in Sonoma. My rest day was actually an active recovery day with nothing but a gentle yoga flow. And even though I didn’t do a solo weights session, I picked up a barbell quite a few times to take, practice and teach BODYPUMP. All good here.
Some things I enjoyed from around the web …
- Yoga for the feet. This an excellent list of stretches for the feet. In fact, I think I’ll go do them now. Thanks for sharing this one, Beth.
- Spring clean the kitchen. A few simple tips for cleaning up your kitchen for your health this season.
- Carbonated water. Ever wonder if carbonated water is bad for you? I have! This article tells you if that’s the case and what you should look out for.
A Lady Goes West Favorite archives
- Just chatting. I threw caution to the wind and did nothing but ramble in this one. Thanks for playing along … “A coffee date catch-up.” (LOVED the comments on this post!)
- Mornings. Because we were talking about morning routines, here’s the full line-up of what I do each day … “This is my actual must-do healthy morning routine to start the day.”
Thanks for stopping by the blog today!
GIVEAWAY: Make sure you leave a comment below to be entered to win the Health Warrior protein mug muffins. When you leave a comment, your email address will not be posted publicly, by the way, just your comment. Good luck!
Questions of the day
What are you up to this weekend?
Which Health Warrior product would you most like to try? Check out the line-up here.
What’s the best thing that happened during your week?
Do you have any goals for April?