Hello there! Before we jump in to today’s post about food, I’d like to say I’m so excited that many of you enjoyed my grammar tips yesterday. I love touching on topics like that and know it’s always a risk whether a healthy-living audience will be interested. Thank you for your comments, questions and shares! And now for the good stuff …
What I Ate Wednesday
Every single week, I feature one of these “What I Ate Wednesday” posts on A Lady Goes West to give you a glimpse into what a full day of meals looks like for me. Some days are better than others, and I always share my real food, capturing a picture before I eat it.
This is a recap of everything I ate yesterday, which was a Tuesday when I worked, worked out and was able to eat all of my meals at home throughout the day. (Oh how I love my flexible, gym-hopping and writing-from-home schedule, which affords me the opportunity to visit my own kitchen for sustenance. It wasn’t always this way for me, and I truly appreciate it.)
Breakfast at 5:30 a.m.
The usual: A standard weekday meal for me. Here is a bowl of cold and hearty overnight oats dressed up with a sliced banana. I prepared a few batches of oats on Sunday, so all I had to do yesterday morning was take one container out of the fridge a few minutes before eating it to take the chill off. I enjoyed this alongside my usual mug of hot green tea, sweetened with vanilla soy milk and stevia.
Morning snack at 10 a.m.
Quick and tasty: When I came home from teaching a couple of morning classes at Orangetheory Fitness, my tummy was grumbling. I quickly grabbed this Key Lime Fage Greek Yogurt for some sugar, carbs and protein. And yes, it was enjoyed with a fuzzball at my feet.
Lunch at 1 p.m.
Liquid lunch: Another day, another green smoothie bowl. This bowl features frozen kale, frozen spinach, frozen cherries, frozen blueberries, protein powder, veggie powder and vanilla soy milk, all of which make up one satisfying and flavor-filled creation. It took me nearly 20 minutes to finish this because it was so huge. (Side note: Using the Nutribullet was very scary for my poor little puppy, Rudy, who timidly watched me from the living room.)
Afternoon snack at 4 p.m.
A few new items: Even though I wasn’t totally hungry, I knew I needed some fuel before I headed back to Orangetheory Fitness, so here is the snack I came up with. I picked up a box of these Quaker Baked Protein Bars at the grocery store this weekend just for fun, and they are quite yummy. The ingredient list is scarily long, but I don’t let that bother me too much. And this Amara Raw Fruit Sports Drink? Dave brought a few samples of this product home for me, and I totally enjoyed it. It has a weird flavor and a kick of caffeine, as well as plenty of electrolytes for hydration. Right up my alley!
Protein shake at 5:30 p.m.
Post-workout refuel: I had this shake shortly after arriving home from the gym for some quick protein and carbs to replenish my system from sweating and moving. I’m working my way through a tub of Protein1 vanilla protein powder sent to me by a Bay Area company called Nutrition53, (which made it onto one of my recent “Friday Favorites“), and I sure do enjoy the light vanilla flavor of this one.
Dinner at 8:45 p.m.
Many colors on my plate: On my own for dinner, as I am several nights-a-week during the basketball season (Dave was in Cleveland with all of his Warriors coworkers watching the team in their away Finals Game Three), I put together a little smorgasbord of good things. A baked sweet potato covered in cinnamon. Two messy fried eggs. And a heaping helping of broccoli, cauliflower and carrots, which I roasted in coconut oil. I mixed all of these items together and was very pleased.
After dinner, I took a few chugs of vanilla soy milk straight from the carton and plopped on the couch to relax.
That’s all she wrote for yesterday’s eats. It was a pretty healthy day, full of many of my favorite staples.
Read more daily eating recaps
Each week, “What I Ate Wednesday” is hosted by Peas and Crayons for bloggers to showcase their eats to the world. If you want to see more food recaps, check out some of my posts from the past here:
- A full day of eating in pictures
- Another full day of my eats and drinks
- Real food isn’t always pretty
- Do you have a balanced dining out strategy?
- What I ate and drank all day
- Three meals, two snacks and a shake
- Food trucks and rest-day eating
- Plenty of protein at every meal
- Colorful fuel for a day of training
- Long days of training require a lot of food
- Making do on “What I Ate Wednesday”
- Healthy foods for a rest day
- Who doesn’t like pictures of food?
- A look at a full day of eating in pictures
- Snapshots from a day of delicious meals
- Pictures of food, because you like them
- Food pictures and the juice cleanse that wasn’t
- A look at what I really eat in a day
- What I ate in the Sunshine State
- My weekend eats and a little narrative
- Stories about food and yesterday’s meals
- A day of eating and some commentary
- Do you want to know what I ate yesterday?
- Healthy challenges and foods from my day
- Eating, napping and eating again
- Filling up on healthy food before the holiday
- A perfect birthday at home and my eats
- Top blog posts, reader stats and my food
- A different kind of training and my food
- Joining a healthy green movement and my eats
- Must-try veggie pasta tip and my eats
- Are you eating this sweet and satisfying fruit?
- What a difference a week makes and my eats
- On Wednesdays we look at pictures of food
- Food, drinks and a very hydrating giveaway
- Front-loading all the healthy this week
- MealEnders giveaway and back to healthy food
- Eating, drinking and sharing the pictures
- I don’t like bad people, I do like good food
- Smart training nutrition tips and my meals
- “What I Ate Wednesday” and a Phenoh 7.4 review
- What my daily meals look like in pictures
- Food pictures from a light and healthy day
- Life lately and a look at all of my meals
- What’s normal to you? (And my daily eats)
- A bit of chatter and “What I Ate Wednesday”
- How you eat beets and a look at a day of food
- What I ate yesterday in the Sunshine State
- A full day of lazy eating from the weekend
Questions of the day
What’s the best thing that you’ve eaten lately?
What type of food do you eat the most frequently?