Ohhhh hey, friends! It’s the end of the week and about time for another batch of favorites. But before we get to that, I want to tell you what I’m up to this weekend. I’m flying to Chicago all alone with little Brady. We’re meeting my mom there, staying in a hotel and attending my brother’s bride-to-be Stephanie’s, bridal shower in Michigan City, Indiana (about 90 minutes from Chicago and where she is from).
I’m definitely nervous about this solo cross-country adventure. And due to direct-flight timings, we’re getting there late on Friday and leaving early on Sunday — the same day that the time changes. I am SO excited to celebrate Stephanie (whom I LOVE) and meet her family for the first time, but the logistics of this trip have turned out rather overwhelming with a tiny passenger in tow. Say a little prayer for me with this fellow …
Moving on, this week flew by, and there wasn’t enough time in the day to get everything done that I wanted to. But that seems to be the case these days. We hit up bring-your-baby-to-the-barre class again, which was awesome, we went on a walk with friends, did some solo workouts at home, blogged (three posts woohoo!), ate lots of food, slept as much as we could and ran a bunch of errands to prepare for this weekend’s big trip.
Brady’s not so sure about the barre studio, but he was a good sport again, and this was my favorite workout of the week. Thanks for having us, Open Barre.
Let’s get into a quick recap of the rest of the faves …
POPSUGAR free at-home workout videos
Do you want to hear again that home workouts are not my preference? They aren’t. I often do my Les Mills instructor videos at home, but sometimes I need something different. I’d like to thank POPSUGAR for so many free and diverse workouts just a keyboard stroke away. (And by the way, when I am feeling unmotivated, I go back to this one on how to get motivated to work out at home.)
Here are three really good ones, all 30 minutes in length, and all of which I’ve done recently.
- 30-minute yoga-barre hybrid workout
- 30-minute power yoga flow for tight abs and butt workout
- 30-minute full-body strength workout
You need minimal equipment for two of them, but really you can do all of these with just your bodyweight if you want. I love Anna Renderer, the host who is either part of or leading all the workouts, and I had the pleasure of meeting her a couple of years ago in L.A. — super sweet gal!
Moral of the story? Need a free workout to complete at home or even the gym? Head to POPSUGAR for a big library of options.
All the veggie burgers for lunch and dinner
If you are what you eat, I will probably turn into a veggie burger, a banana or almond butter. I’ve been on a major veggie burger kick for several weeks now, and I don’t see that ending any time soon. And believe it or not, Dave will eat some too (not the hemp ones, but the kale ones he’s fine with, because they have a little spice).
Here’s a shot of my tiny hand-cart from a shopping trip this week, when veggie burgers were on sale …
I buy multiple boxes a week and my favorites are as follows: Dr. Praeger’s kale veggie burgers, Dr. Praeger’s spinach cakes, Dr. Praeger’s mushroom risotto veggie burgers, Hilary’s Eat Well world’s best veggie burgers and Hilary’s Eat Well adzuki bean burgers. I like all of these because they are gluten free, soy free and full of superfoods and good stuff only, but beware the Hilary’s ones get a little firm in the oven. Veggie burgers don’t always have a lot of protein though, so I always pair them with eggs and some additional healthy fat. Yum!
And for some more food talk, here’s one of my favorite lunches from this week, which actually didn’t feature a veggie burger. Sauerkraut, two eggs, half of an avocado, cauliflower rice sautéed in coconut oil and a rice cake topped with tahini for some crunch. Lunch perfection.
Best reads from around the web
Here are a few things I enjoyed reading …
- Female hormones: If you’re sick of hearing about female hormones on this here blog, well — sorry — but I’m not going to stop talking about them (more details on why here). It’s SO important, and for many, many years I didn’t know or care about my hormones, and I ended up getting very messed up because of it. I think all women should be in tune with their cycles and they should be having them each month too. I did a lot of alternative methods and followed Eastern medicine in order to get hormonally healthy and get pregnant, and one thing I didn’t try but heard about was seed cycling to support each phase. It’s pretty simple. Check it out here.
- Ice cream: Kombucha ice cream, what? While there may be too many steps in this recipe for me, I’d certainly like to get my hands on some kombucha ice cream one day.
- Healthy treats: I don’t make other bloggers’ recipes very often, but I think both of these sound fantastic. And you know I’m into rice cakes and all things carrot cake — so peanut butter frosted rice cakes and carrot oat bars are right up my alley.
- Morning routine: My morning routine is not what wellness-blogger-dreams-are-made-of right now, due to Brady responsibilities, but I’m so inspired to make some changes once we have this sleeping thing down better and maybe, just maybe, I can even wake up before Brady and have some solo time each morning too (a Christmas miracle that would be). I love this idea of morning pages.
Speaking of Brady, this little nugget is so darn cute …
A Lady Goes West archive favorites
In case you’ve missed a few posts, thought you may want to check out some of these good ones that live in the blog archives …
- From earlier in the week, this list was reader request, check out: “The best health, wellness and fitness podcasts.”
- Breakfast made easy, find out my secret ingredient to oatmeal, check out: “The creamiest warm almond butter oatmeal breakfast bowl.”
- Because we all need a little refresher some times, check out: “Friendly reminder: Six ways to be a polite group fitness participant.”
And that concludes our weekly chatty favorites conversation, my friends. Have a good one! Send some happy traveling thoughts over my way. I’ll try to post on Instagram, but may have my hands full. We’ll see!Sit back, relax and enjoy some favorites over on A Lady Goes West ... Click To Tweet
Questions of the day
What’s your morning routine look like?
What’s an awesome healthy treat you’ve eaten lately?
What’s something you’ve been loving lately?