Hello there, friends. I hope your week has been going along just great. Before we begin, I want to take a moment to recognize that today is September 11, a day that will never be forgotten. I’m sending some thoughts and prayers to all those who lost a loved one that day and to those who continue to protect our country.
This morning, I’m off to teach my usual BODYATTACK class and then will be doing some work, yoga and chores until Dave gets home. He has been away in NYC all week for business and flies back today, so we’re looking forward to some quiet time tonight. Tomorrow, we’re heading to wine country for a little fun and have no plans for Sunday. Without any further ado, let’s get to today’s favorites …
My latest “Friday Favorites” of the week
It’s that time again for another look at all of the random things I’ve been loving lately, and this week we have an awesome giveaway …
My favorite new healthy bar and a GIVEAWAY
I kid you not, folks. I kid you not with this one. I was so darn pleased when I had the opportunity to try out Rise Bar for the first time while attending IDEA World Fitness Convention back in July. The friendly folks at the Rise Bar booth gave me a few samples and followed up by sending me a whole box to devour. While I tried tons of products at the convention, there were only a few things that I cared enough about to bring back to you. And that’s why I’m so excited to offer this information and giveaway to you today, because I think you will love these bars too.
Trust me, these bars are extra delicious. At more than 300 calories, they are a hearty snack. I actually had one for breakfast a couple of times before our morning activities in Maui and was impressed at how much it filled me up. Rise and shine!
The idea for these bars came from a man named Pete, who found himself looking for a better and more nutritional snack that would not upset his stomach while traveling the world in 2010. He did well, because the Rise Bar is legit. These bars are free of anything artificial and are made in small batches in a kitchen in California, and to this day, Pete often stops in to taste-test all of the products. Some facts about the bars …
- They are clean.
- They are moist.
- Much moister than other bars out there on the market.
- They have great flavors.
- They are gluten free.
- Non GMO. Soy free. Kosher.
- And are made in California, so what else could you ask for?
The short ingredients list include only almonds, honey, whey protein isolate, cacao and banana extract, boasting 16 grams of protein. My favorite flavor is the new Cacao Banana, of course, but the most popular seller is the Almond Honey Protein, which has only three ingredients and 20 grams of protein. While you can order the Rise Bar line online, you can also find it in select health and grocery stores, by searching this store locator. PROMO CODE ALERT: And if you order from the site directly, you can get 20 percent off with the discount code GOESWEST.
Do you want to try out the Rise Bar line too? Follow the instructions at the bottom of this post to enter to win your choice of TWO boxes of bars. This giveaway will close Tuesday evening 9/15 and is open to residents of the U.S. and Canada only.
My favorite purchase in Maui
Even though Dave and I went to Maui with full intentions of bringing back a couple of souvenirs (for some reason we always end up empty-handed after a trip and wish we had a memento), we still didn’t buy much. In fact, all we came home with were some memories, tans and cookies. But these aren’t your average cookies …
Made in Hawaii, these cookies are attractive and tasty. The flavors range from the new White Chocolate Dipped Macadamia (my personal favorite) to Dark Chocolate Kona Coffee (also quite pleasing). And they are cute too.
A couple of blog readers told me about Honolulu Cookie Company stores before we traveled, so I knew to seek out the store for free samples on the day we arrived. We went into a Honolulu Cookie store not once, but three times during our five nights in Maui. And we also brought back some boxes for gifts and for us.
When you go into the store, you can sample bites of every single type of cookie and even buy individually wrapped full-sized cookies. While I’m usually into more decadent desserts than shortbread cookies, these are totally tasty. And they are all shaped like a pineapple. Love it. Apparently these puppies are available online, throughout Hawaii and in Las Vegas. How about that.
My favorite new hat
You may have seen in many of my pictures from Maui that I was sporting a new hat. I picked this one up at Target shortly before we left, and that was after looking in many stores. Apparently I was a little late in the season for a hat purchase. But I got my money’s worth and wore it pretty much everyday. I also wore it during our Labor Day barbecue back in the Bay Area.
Cute, simple and just enough coverage for the face and ears, this Mossimo hat was perfect.
It looks like we have a few weeks of hot sunny weather left here in Walnut Creek, so I have no doubt this hat will be making another appearance. Speaking of weather, I’m totally ready for a cool-down. Like now.
My favorite links of the week
Did you miss some of the good stuff on A Lady Goes West this week? Here’s what happened …
- Weekend and fitness — My recent workouts, good reads and more
- Maui trip — An amazing vacation to Maui, Hawaii – Day 1
- More Maui talk — More awesome Maui adventures – Days 2 & 3
- Even more Maui talk — Our final Maui explorations – Days 4 & 5
And finally, thanks to the folks at Booya Fitness for featuring my fit tips in this one: “How to Stay Fit On Vacation.” That’s it for today, my friends! As always, I hope your weekend is fabulous.
Enter the Rise Bar giveaway
Here’s your chance to enter to win Rise Bar products. Click on the image below, enter your name and submit as many entries as you want to increase your chances of winning.
Thanks for entering!
Read more Friday Favorites
- A snack, a purse and a ritual
- A delivery, a bra and a guy
- A sweet, a wine and a read
- A drink, a gadget and a plan
- A time, a bottle and a powder
- San Francisco edition
- Beauty edition
- Beach vacation edition
- Hidden meanings
- Kicks, a book and a bowl
- The very best sweatshirts
- Party hosting and froyo
- Fourth of July daytime activity
- Beauty basics edition
- Workplace edition
- Shopping, sales and a show
- The foods I always buy
- Sushi, a game and pants
- Fitness apps
- Delicious and healthy products
- Comfort, fitness and function
- Beauty, buddha and blog events
- Dining, the city and gift ideas
- POPSUGAR, sweets and such
- A bunch of fun stuff
- e-book, food, picnic and tunes
- A link, a superfood and a mask
- Pants, shoes, food and links
- Dining, protein and goodies
- Shopping, events and a book
- A gym bag, pumpkin and juices
- Workout gear, a top and a massage
- prAna, a watch, tea and more
- Tasty stuff and gift sales
- Decor, bars, boots and a drink
- Flowers, music and more
- Coqueta, a brush and food
- My people and the holidays
- Beauty, bling and entertainment
- A hodge-podge of goodies
- Just a few special things
- Tasty food, drinks and moving
- A bunch of feel-good stuff
- Home, car and fitness finds
- Sweets, cooking, beauty and blog
- Gold, yoga, photos and more
- Celebs, scents, games and more
- Food, shoes, stretches and fun
- Purse, snack, plant and more
- Fresh, healthy, clean and square
- Pilates, sneaks and much more
- Quite a few good things
- Food, jewels and sweat etc.
- Fun stuff and a giveaway
- Goodies and a yoga giveaway
- Orange, bikes and healthy food
- Food, tech, sparkle and more
- Clothes, home, a roller and more
- Florida, tech, tea and more
- Toiletries, gifts and more
- Fashion, food and a giveaway
- Events, surprises and a puppy
- Good stuff and a giveaway
- Bling, crunch and pet goods
- Fitness, fashion and food
- Health, food and grooming
- A case, sneaks and smoothies
- Tasty stuff and a giveaway
- Snacks, gold, clothes and more
- A healthy giveaway and more
- A fitness giveaway and more
- Samples, workouts and more
- Dave’s favorite things
- Back to business
*Disclaimer: A portion of this post and the giveaway is sponsored by Rise Bar. While I was compensated and did receive product, all of the words and opinions are my own. Thanks so much for supporting the brands that I work with! In addition, there are a couple of affiliate links included.
Questions of the day
Do you have a fun recent favorite to share?
What are you up to this weekend?