Hello, my friends! We meet again, on what is hopefully the last day of the work-week for you. I’m going to start with a little story, get into the favorites, and today I’ve got an awesome (and healthy) giveaway for you!
A quick story about a day gone awry
This week was an interesting one around here. On Wednesday afternoon, as I was taking Rudy for a little walk in remnants of my gym clothes, our front door malfunctioned (normally you can open it with a code), and I got locked out of the house. I had no phone. No keys. Nothing but a publicly unacceptable outfit and a puppy on a leash. What to do? I knocked on the door of some neighbors and finally got someone to answer after a couple of tries. The nice lady invited me into her home to use her phone, and of course, when I called Dave, his phone was off because he was in a meeting. Over the next hour-and-a-half, I sat in the living room of a very nice family, watched the little girls who lived there perform hip-hop dances, laughed at YouTube videos that a fourth-grader thought I would like, enjoyed Moroccan hot tea, spilled it all over the table after my kind hostess prepared it for me, tried to keep Rudy calm in my arms as he struggled to get free, and waited for Dave to finally get out of a meeting so he could come home and let me back into our house. There are so many more elements to this story, which make it even funnier, but we’ll leave it at that. Dave came home just in time, so I could shower and be at Orangetheory Fitness to teach my evening classes. And suffice to say, I will not be leaving my house for “short little walks” without a few essentials from here on out. Thank goodness my neighbors were so hospitable, despite the fact that they had never met me before. It was quite the day.
But let’s get to the here and now. After teaching BODYATTACK this morning, I’ll be showering up, zipping my suitcase, packing Rudy in the car and meeting Dave at his office to drive down to Monterey. We’re attending a wedding tomorrow for one of his coworkers and will be down there until Sunday afternoon. This is our second weekend-in-a-row of fun after San Diego travels last week, and we can’t wait.
My latest “Friday Favorites” of the week
Now it’s finally time for the good stuff. I mean, what’s better than reading about some unrelated awesome items? That’s why my weekly “Friday Favorites” is such a fun feature, giving me a chance to highlight whatever has been making me happy. Here’s the latest and greatest …
My favorite healthy products and a GIVEAWAY
When I was in LA for IDEA World Blogfest with Sweat Pink and IDEA World Fitness Convention, I stumbled upon the Healthy Skoop booth. I had the pleasure of trying a taste of Healthy Skoop several months ago and was eager to learn more about the company. Since that time, I’ve been working my way through a full spectrum of their whole-food, plant-based products, and I’m so impressed. After chatting with the lovely representatives, we’ve worked together to bring you an awesome giveaway — which is a prize package identical to the line of products that I’ve been enjoying.
First of all, let’s talk about that red drink, Ignite. It’s an energy powder that I can actually enjoy. Healthy Skoop’s new Ignite Sweet Beet performance supplement is a rich red powder, which you add to water, shake it up and drink about 30 minutes before exercise. It tastes just like beets, and I love the flavor and consistency. Not to mention, it’s totally natural, featuring nothing but organic beets, d-ribose, organic pomegranate, organic agave and organic stevia. I definitely feel a little pep in my step after drinking it, although it does not give me the same effects as caffeine. I’ve never been able to drink “pre-workout” drinks because I can’t stomach them, yet I look forward to drinking this beet concoction, so that says a lot.
I also love the B-Strong protein powder for adding to smoothies and recipes, for its plant-based qualities and essential amino acids. And the Skoop A-Game veggie green powder? So much goodness in one scoop, as well as 10 servings of vegetables. Basically, this line of products from the Boulder-based company has a lot to offer. In addition to the fact that Healthy Skoop operates an awesome Buy One, Give One program, and for every serving of Skoop sold, Healthy Skoop donates one serving of fresh fruits and veggies to schools in America, through a program called Project Produce with the Chef Ann Foundation. You can’t beat (or beet) that.
Now that you’ve got the details on this awesome line, here’s a look at what one winner will be receiving …
- One huge bag of Skoop B-Strong Viva-nilla Brown-Rice Protein Powder
- One huge bag of Skoop A-Game Sweetgreens Veggie Powder
- One 100-gram Ignite Skoop Sweet Beet Endurance Superfoods Blend
- One 100-gram Ignite Skoop Berry Beet Endurance Superfoods Blend
- A Healthy Skoop shaker
- A 5-day Skoop-A game challenge packet
This giveaway is only open to those in the U.S., and the retail value is just under $200. Follow the instructions to enter the Rafflecopter form toward the end of this post, and I’ll randomly select a winner on Thursday of next week. Good luck!
My favorite recent eats
I pretty much take pictures of all of my food. It’s just what I do. Sometimes those photos end up on Instagram, in my weekly food recaps, or they just live on my phone until I need to delete them for new space. Here are a few recent things that I ate worthy of sharing …
What’s the story on these photos? I’m going to make it a mission to continue finding the best acai bowls in every city that I visit. Southwest is gaining even more favor with me now that they give out free honey-roasted-flavor peanuts, not plain. A huge slice of grocery-store carrot cake is always a good idea. And Tender Greens salads are my favorite fast-casual lunches in downtown Walnut Creek. There you go.
My favorite new shades
I’ve been in need of new sunglasses for a while, because my go-to pair, which I’ve had for more than four years, is totally stretched out. That’s why I was certainly interested when Firmoo.com reached out to me about selecting a pair of their new line of sunglasses. Firmoo.com is a global online retailer of prescriptions glasses, which just started selling shades as well.
I ordered this big cat-eye style, of course (bigger is always better when it comes to sunglasses), and I debuted them this past weekend in San Diego by the pool and walking around the beach neighborhoods.
The sunglass line from Firmoo is totally reasonable, and my non-prescription pair retail for just $39. The frames fit my face perfectly and have a cool reflective color in the sunlight. My only complaint would be that the case the glasses comes in is really tight, and it’s almost hard to close with my big glasses. Otherwise, I’m totally a fan. The best part about ordering from Firmoo is that you can see pictures of regular people wearing the glasses, as well as read their reviews. I find real reviews super helpful, and that’s what helped me to make my selection. And if you do need prescription sunglasses, this is the place to do it. Thanks, Firmoo!
My favorite links of the week
Did you miss some of the good stuff on A Lady Goes West this week? Here’s what happened …
- My workouts and fitness — A short-on-time hotel-gym dumbbell workout
- Travel recap — A fun and relaxing trip to sunny San Diego
- Food pictures — Plenty of colorful food on a healthy weekday
- Natural herbs for you — The health benefits of thyme and how to use it
One more thing: Country fans anyone? I just love this song, and was able to see it performed in person just a few months ago too at Kenny Chesney’s big outdoor show at Levi’s Stadium, and it doesn’t seem to get old.
I hope your weekend is wonderful, my friends! Check me out on Instagram to see my adventures in Monterey.
Enter the Healthy Skoop giveaway
Here’s your chance to enter to win a big Healthy Skoop prize package. Click on the image below, enter your name and submit as many entries as you want to increase your chances of winning.
a Rafflecopter giveaway
Thanks for entering!
Read more Friday Favorites
- A snack, a purse and a ritual
- A delivery, a bra and a guy
- A sweet, a wine and a read
- A drink, a gadget and a plan
- A time, a bottle and a powder
- San Francisco edition
- Beauty edition
- Beach vacation edition
- Hidden meanings
- Kicks, a book and a bowl
- The very best sweatshirts
- Party hosting and froyo
- Fourth of July daytime activity
- Beauty basics edition
- Workplace edition
- Shopping, sales and a show
- The foods I always buy
- Sushi, a game and pants
- Fitness apps
- Delicious and healthy products
- Comfort, fitness and function
- Beauty, buddha and blog events
- Dining, the city and gift ideas
- POPSUGAR, sweets and such
- A bunch of fun stuff
- e-book, food, picnic and tunes
- A link, a superfood and a mask
- Pants, shoes, food and links
- Dining, protein and goodies
- Shopping, events and a book
- A gym bag, pumpkin and juices
- Workout gear, a top and a massage
- prAna, a watch, tea and more
- Tasty stuff and gift sales
- Decor, bars, boots and a drink
- Flowers, music and more
- Coqueta, a brush and food
- My people and the holidays
- Beauty, bling and entertainment
- A hodge-podge of goodies
- Just a few special things
- Tasty food, drinks and moving
- A bunch of feel-good stuff
- Home, car and fitness finds
- Sweets, cooking, beauty and blog
- Gold, yoga, photos and more
- Celebs, scents, games and more
- Food, shoes, stretches and fun
- Purse, snack, plant and more
- Fresh, healthy, clean and square
- Pilates, sneaks and much more
- Quite a few good things
- Food, jewels and sweat etc.
- Fun stuff and a giveaway
- Goodies and a yoga giveaway
- Orange, bikes and healthy food
- Food, tech, sparkle and more
- Clothes, home, a roller and more
- Florida, tech, tea and more
- Toiletries, gifts and more
- Fashion, food and a giveaway
- Events, surprises and a puppy
- Good stuff and a giveaway
- Bling, crunch and pet goods
- Fitness, fashion and food
- Health, food and grooming
- A case, sneaks and smoothies
- Tasty stuff and a giveaway
- Snacks, gold, clothes and more
**Disclaimer: A portion of this post and the giveaway are both sponsored by Healthy Skoop. While I was compensated and received products, all opinions are totally my own. Thanks for supporting my sponsors.
Questions of the day
What are you up to this weekend?
What’s something new you’ve been loving lately?