Hey ladies and gents (and yes, believe it or not, some gents actually read this blog), here’s to you! The first full week of the year after the holidays is not always the easiest, and we’ve nearly done it. It’s behind us. We’re into the new year. Cheers to that!
This week was actually pretty good in my world, outside of missing the festivities of the holidays. As you can imagine, as a group fitness instructor and coach, I see tons of new people and full classes, which I love. I know some regular gym goers get annoyed with the influx of newbies filling the parking lots and monopolizing equipment, but I appreciate it. Welcome new gym friends, I hope you keep coming back. It’s worth it. Small daily habits like working out can change your life.
As far as this weekend is concerned, it’s not exactly booked solid for Dave or for me. The weather has been cold and rainy lately, so I’m guessing we’ll have some indoor play. Now let’s chat favorites …
This week’s finds for “Friday Favorites”
Because it’s the end of the week, I’m keeping it light today with my latest edition of my favorite recent finds …
My favorite gifts of the week
I got a lot of great gifts for Christmas this year, and Dave did especially well. While I didn’t tell him what I wanted or make a list, he somehow came up with some awesome presents for me, perfectly suited to my taste. I like to save new things when I get them, so I actually just broke into these …
I’ve been a Michael Kors fan ever since he first appeared as a judge on Project Runway. I have Michael Kors shoes, bags and jewelry and basically want everything his line comes out with. So of course, I loved this selection of gold earrings, a keychain and most importantly, the bangle. Just my style!
My favorite foods of the week
The freezer section gets a lot of flack for being home to unhealthy and processed “convenient” foods. However, when you make it over to the veggie burger aisle, there are a few stand-outs that you shouldn’t be afraid to put in your cart. Dr. Praeger’s my friends …
I’ve shared my love of the California burgers the first time I tried them last year, well now I’m obsessed with all three of these versions. You can cook them in the microwave with just one minute on each side, then mix them with veggies, eggs, fruit or more for breakfast, lunch or dinner. If you’re looking for a quick and easy healthy option, I’d pick up a box of any of these. I’ve found I can get the cheapest at Sprouts Farmers Market for just $4 a carton, which is only $1 a burger. A win! (Special note: plop some avocado on the black bean ones for an extra tasty bite.)
My favorite cozy item of the week
Would you believe that Walnut Creek, California in the San Francisco Bay Area is the coldest place I’ve ever lived? It certainly is. While we don’t get snow, the weather here in the winter is actually colder than within the City. We’ve seen low 30s at night and in the mornings, which is pretty cold in my book. My feet are in need …
These soft socks were another little gift from Dave for Christmas this year, and I just love them. Even if where you live isn’t cold, nothing feels as good as slipping something soft and warm onto your feet. Right? Anybody out there sleep with socks on? Not me.
My favorite links of the week
Did you miss the latest on A Lady Goes West the past couple of weeks?
- The perfect day celebrating my birthday in L.A.
- Christmas in San Diego 2015
- The most popular posts of 2015
- A look at life and blogging in 2015
- San Francisco New Year’s, the weekend and workouts
- Class review: FlyWheel Sports makes you work with Torq
- Food so good you want to share it
And from around the web worth checking out …
- This list of exercises has some new-to-me moves, some of which I used in my core class I taught this week. Check out SkinnyMom’s “50 Moves to Work Your Entire Body.”
- This video is worth watching whether you’re into fitness or not. These cardio exercises are awesome. Click on “70 Best Bodyweight Cardio Exercise to Seek and Destroy Fat” from Men’s Health.
- If you need some comfortable pants to change into the second you get home from work, may I suggest these beauties? I’ve been living in them. They cost $20. They are magical. End of story.
- Totally excited to be included as a local expert in Diablo Magazine’s January fitness issue. I did the interview over Thanksgiving break by phone and finally saw the print edition with a little blurb from me …
You heard it here: Have a varied workout routine, focus on functional movement and work out first thing in the morning if your schedule allows it. Those are the tips that made it in print.
And that’ll do it for now. By the way, congratulations to Ray, the winner of the Sunwarrior giveaway. Have a wonderful day, my friends!Fun stuff! Enjoy this light read full of #fitness and more ... Click To Tweet
Read more Friday Favorites
*There are a couple of affiliate links in this post. Thanks for your support.
Questions of the day
What are you up to this weekend?
What was your favorite Christmas gift this year?