TGIF! What a week! I started this one in Florida and am ending it back in the Bay Area after some unfortunate travel-related events. This morning’s agenda calls for teaching my first BODYATTACK class in a week-and-a-half, lots of catch-up work and perhaps some yoga. Tomorrow, I’m back at Orangetheory in the morning to teach a couple of classes and take a class. And we’ll just have to wait and see what the rest of the weekend entails. I sure hope that rest is a big part of it. I need it.
This week’s Friday Favorites
But you’re here today for some light-hearted chatter about the things that I’ve been loving lately. Ladies and gentlemen, here are my latest “Friday Favorites” …
My favorite new toiletry
True story: The state of Maine has a special place in my heart. Dave grew up in Maine, and we’ve visited there together a couple of times, and I’m absolutely amazed by how beautiful it is. In fact, we got engaged just off the coast of Portland, Maine on a lovely little island called Peaks Island, and we still call that our “Maine-gagement.” Outside of wonderful memories for us, a lot of other great things are made in Maine, including incredible companies that give back. I was recently introduced to one of those companies, Tom’s of Maine, and its new line of Long Lasting Natural Deodorant. *(A big thanks to Tom’s of Maine for sponsoring this!)
Tom’s of Maine has been making natural products for more than 45 years, selling natural toothpaste, deodorant, body wash, lotion and even baby products, while donating 10 percent of its profits to help the environment and the planet. And although I had heard of the company before, I hadn’t tried anything until this new line of deodorants came out. These new deodorants are free of aluminum, are not tested on animals, do not include animal ingredients, nor artificial colors, flavors, fragrances or preservatives. And they are also made using mostly recycled packaging, which is something I’m beginning to appreciate more and more.
I will say that natural deodorants aren’t exactly designed to keep you from sweating, but they do shield odors. When you switch to a natural deodorant, it may take a few days for your body to get used to it. I tried the “Natural Powder” scent during my recent trip in Florida and was very pleased with it. Right away I noticed that it glides on so very smoothly and clearly, and the scent is great. Also, it didn’t give me that stinging feeling that some regular deodorants do, which I absolutely despise. It kept me under control throughout the day, and the scent had some staying power, although I wasn’t maintaining my regular workout routine. Would this product work for my super sweaty husband? Probably not, but it’s sure good for me on a regular day when I’m not teaching BODYATTACK.
While I’m enjoying using Tom’s of Maine natural deodorants, I’m most enjoying the fact that I know what I’m using is made with the environment in mind. The planet is a pretty important resource and any company keeping that in mind is a good one in my book. Check out Tom’s of Maine on Instagram too!
My favorite new gifts
In case you missed it, yesterday I talked all about the fun wedding activities I was part of in Florida over the long weekend. I was a bridesmaid for my long-time friend Melissa, and it was a lovely experience during the three days of celebrations. I came back with some memories and some loot. Melissa gave her five bridesmaids some really cute gifts …
This little gift set, which Melissa gave us at the rehearsal, included the following:
- A monogrammed tote bag, which I used on wedding day and as a carry-on bag yesterday during my travels.
- A silver clutch purse, which we all used at the wedding.
- A monogrammed water cup with a straw, which I know I’ll get a lot of use out of.
- A pair of silver dangly earrings for us all to wear during the wedding. So pretty.
- A mini spa lotion. Who doesn’t need more of that?
- A wedding koozie, donned with Melissa and Neal’s wedding logo and the date.
- A seeing-eye bracelet, which I also wore during the wedding and yesterday.
- A navy sundress, which we all wore on the day of the wedding to get ready.
- A silky hanger for displaying our bridesmaid’s dress.
- Some Greek cookies. And I probably had about a dozen of those over the course of the wedding events because they were always around.
All of these gifts were themed perfectly with the wedding, and I love that about them. A big “nice work” going out to the busy bride, who pulled it all together.
My favorite news of the week
Of course, I need to give a big shout-out to the Golden State Warriors, who are now officially in the NBA Finals, which start next week. As you can imagine, we’re pretty excited out here in the Bay Area, seeing as this is the first time in 40 years that the Warriors have made it this far. Dave changed his flight to fly back early from Florida, and he was glad he did, so he could experience the Warriors clinching a spot in the Finals in front of a sold-out crowd at home. Cool stuff! Being that many of our friends, as well as Dave, work for the Warriors, this is a big deal! I’m looking forward to going to a Finals game.
My favorite dessert of the week
Leave it to my wonderful Mom to have a celebration cake made for every occasion. Even though we didn’t get to do what we had planned on our three-year anniversary, Dave and I still commemorated the day with a cake and nice dinner at home with my family while we were in Florida earlier this week.
And of course, this cake is from Publix. My favorite grocery store, which I visited several times for sushi, subs and other things during my time in the Sunshine State. Publix rarely disappoints, and for those of who you have never experienced it, I hope you do one day.
My favorite links of the week
Did you miss out on some of the good stuff on A Lady Goes West this week? Even though I was in the midst of travel and family time, I tried my best to get you a fresh post each day. Here’s what happened …
- Short and sweet — Summer-time smoothie round-up and my weekly workouts
- A special day — Sunshine State fun and celebrating three years
- My eats — What I ate yesterday in the Sunshine State
- A trip recap — A Big Fat Greek wedding and some Florida fun
I hope you have a wonderful Friday and weekend, my friends! See you soon!
Read more Friday Favorites
- A snack, a purse and a ritual
- A delivery, a bra and a guy
- A sweet, a wine and a read
- A drink, a gadget and a plan
- A time, a bottle and a powder
- San Francisco edition
- Beauty edition
- Beach vacation edition
- Hidden meanings
- Kicks, a book and a bowl
- The very best sweatshirts
- Party hosting and froyo
- Fourth of July daytime activity
- Beauty basics edition
- Workplace edition
- Shopping, sales and a show
- The foods I always buy
- Sushi, a game and pants
- Fitness apps
- Delicious and healthy products
- Comfort, fitness and function
- Beauty, buddha and blog events
- Dining, the city and gift ideas
- POPSUGAR, sweets and such
- A bunch of fun stuff
- e-book, food, picnic and tunes
- A link, a superfood and a mask
- Pants, shoes, food and links
- Dining, protein and goodies
- Shopping, events and a book
- A gym bag, pumpkin and juices
- Workout gear, a top and a massage
- prAna, a watch, tea and more
- Tasty stuff and gift sales
- Decor, bars, boots and a drink
- Flowers, music and more
- Coqueta, a brush and food
- My people and the holidays
- Beauty, bling and entertainment
- A hodge-podge of goodies
- Just a few special things
- Tasty food, drinks and moving
- A bunch of feel-good stuff
- Home, car and fitness finds
- Sweets, cooking, beauty and blog
- Gold, yoga, photos and more
- Celebs, scents, games and more
- Food, shoes, stretches and fun
- Purse, snack, plant and more
- Fresh, healthy, clean and square
- Pilates, sneaks and much more
- Quite a few good things
- Food, jewels and sweat etc.
- Fun stuff and a giveaway
- Goodies and a yoga giveaway
- Orange, bikes and healthy food
- Food, tech, sparkle and more
- Clothes, home, a roller and more
- Florida, tech, tea and more
Questions of the day
What’s a favorite thing you’re loving this week?
What are your plans for the weekend?