Hello to you all on Wednesday! I’m happy to report, I’m basically back into the swing of things here in the Bay Area after arriving home on Monday afternoon from my whirlwind trip to Florida. However, I must say that teaching BODYPUMP last night after a week away from the barbell was rough.
Because I always talk about food on Wednesdays, I have a brief “What I Ate Wednesday” for you, and I also have a review of a brand new food-related product I recently had the chance to try. And of course, this one comes with a giveaway for one of you to win 100 of that new product. I really enjoy giving you guys the chance to win free stuff, and if you’ve never entered anything before, it’s really quite easy, so go for it at the end of this post!
Introducing MealEnders “Signaling Lozenges”
What the heck is a MealEnder? MealEnders are a new product from a San Francisco-based company, designed by someone who was looking to help curb his overeating, when he was already full. It’s not a diet product at all, but a little piece of food for you to eat after your meals to complete your dining experience.
I was definitely skeptical of these at first, but intrigued enough to try them for myself, especially after I found out that they were created here in the Bay Area.
MealEnders are a lozenge, which you put in your mouth after you’ve had a snack or a meal. The lozenge is designed to help your brain realize that you have finished eating, during those important 20 minutes when you may reach for dessert or a second helping. I know what you’re thinking — is this some strange diet thing? No, it isn’t. And I wouldn’t have agreed to try it out, if I thought it was at all questionable or promoting any sort of food restriction. Because you still eat your full healthy meals, but you just have a little extra at the end to remind your mind that you’re done.
Basically, a MealEnders “Signaling Lozenge” seems like and looks like a little piece of hard candy. You don’t bite it, you suck on it and let it dissolve in your mouth. Each MealEnder has two layers: The outside layer is a sweet dessert-like flavor, and the inside layer is a cooling and tingling sensation. As you go from one layer to the other, your brain starts to realize that you are in fact satiated, which is done with no drugs, no herbs and no scary ingredients.
The details on MealEnders
- MealEnders come in four flavors — Citrus, Chocolate Mint, Mocha and Cinnamon. Chocolate Mint is definitely my favorite, but they are all good.
- MealEnders do not have any added stimulants or drugs — Each lozenge is 15 calories, gluten free, low fat, kosher and has only two grams of sugar. MealEnders are food-based and regulated by the FDA.
- MealEnders are portable and come single-wrapped — Each pouch of 25 lozenges retails for $14.95, and is available for purchase exclusively on mealenders.com.
My experience using MealEnders
I’ve been treating MealEnders as a mint or gum, and I pop one in my mouth after most of my lunches and dinners. I have found that the combination of the sweet flavor, which turns into the tingling sensation, is very entertaining for the taste-buds after a meal. It’s like it cleanses my palate, and I feel good and whole after it’s totally dissolved.
Because I strive to eat pretty well-balanced meals throughout the day, I haven’t felt myself eat any less using MealEnders (that wasn’t the reason I wanted to try them anyway), but I have felt an added feeling of completion after each meal. I tend to reach for desserts only on the weekends and have continued to do that while eating these MealEnders because I like to have sweets in my life, and that will never change. But I can totally see how the strange sensation that you get while sucking on these lozenges can completely change your mindset when it comes to grabbing that extra brownie when you really should not. There’s something more to these things than just a piece of candy too. The two-taste layer is a process for your palate, that certainly changes your cravings. I have not reached for more food after eating a MealEnder, that’s for sure.
When should you eat MealEnders?
I could see MealEnders being the perfect thing to grab after you’ve had a small snack in the mid-afternoon and know you aren’t hungry any longer, but you’re bored and are thinking of continuing to graze. I could also see popping a MealEnder out at a restaurant with friends when you can’t seem to stay away from chips and dip, even though you’re completely not hungry.
I’ll continue working my way through the bags of MealEnders, because I’ve made them part of my routine and have been looking forward to that sweet sensation after many meals. But I won’t stop eating all the good stuff when I feel like it.
Overall, I don’t see MealEnders as a way to restrict what you eat, but more as a way to give your mouth something to do once eating has finished so you can really feel like you’ve completed your dining experience. Plus, they taste good. So why not pop one in your mouth?
Before we get to that giveaway, let’s talk about food …
What I Ate Wednesday
And now for a very brief look at all of the foods I ate yesterday, which had me back into enjoying all of my usual suspects, here you go …
Lunch at 12:30 p.m.— A super hearty green smoothie bowl, packed with spinach, half a banana, mango, protein powder and almond milk
Snack at 4 p.m.— A bowl of home-made trail mix featuring raw almonds, whole cashews and dried cranberries, with more green tea on the side
Post-workout at 6:30 p.m.— A protein shake with coconut water
Dinner at 8:30 p.m. — A plate of grilled turkey kielbasa, grilled asparagus and a kale salad topped with cranberries, pecans, croutons and honey-dijon dressing
Dessert at 8:45 p.m.— A MealEnder and some almond milk, un-pictured
That’s that. Let’s just say I’m still full from my indulgent and fun weekend in Key West, so it felt great to get back to some lighter and healthier meals yesterday.
Enter to win 100 MealEnders
And now for that giveaway. This one is only open to readers in the U.S., and one winner will receive FOUR 25-piece pouches of MealEnders, so you can experience all the flavors and enjoy 100 lozenges total.
The contest will close on Sunday 3/15 at midnight, so enter soon!
Thanks guys, I hope your Wednesday is just fabulous. With teaching BODYATTACK on the agenda tonight, I know mine will be. See you back here tomorrow!
**Please note: Through my ambassadorship with Fit Approach and Sweat Pink, I was sent complimentary MealEnders products to try, as well as to offer as a giveaway. However, all thoughts and opinions are my own.
More daily eating recaps
Each week, “What I Ate Wednesday” is hosted by Peas and Crayons for bloggers to showcase their eats to the world. If you want to see more food recaps, check out some of my posts from the past here:
- A full day of eating in pictures
- Another full day of my eats and drinks
- Real food isn’t always pretty
- Do you have a balanced dining out strategy?
- What I ate and drank all day
- Three meals, two snacks and a shake
- Food trucks and rest-day eating
- Plenty of protein at every meal
- Colorful fuel for a day of training
- Long days of training require a lot of food
- Making do on “What I Ate Wednesday”
- Healthy foods for a rest day
- Who doesn’t like pictures of food?
- A look at a full day of eating in pictures
- Snapshots from a day of delicious meals
- Pictures of food, because you like them
- Food pictures and the juice cleanse that wasn’t
- A look at what I really eat in a day
- What I ate in the Sunshine State
- My weekend eats and a little narrative
- Stories about food and yesterday’s meals
- A day of eating and some commentary
- Do you want to know what I ate yesterday?
- Healthy challenges and foods from my day
- Eating, napping and eating again
- Filling up on healthy food before the holiday
- A perfect birthday at home and my eats
- Top blog posts, reader stats and my food
- A different kind of training and my food
- Joining a healthy green movement and my eats
- Must-try veggie pasta tip and my eats
- Are you eating this sweet and satisfying fruit?
- What a difference a week makes and my eats
- On Wednesdays we look at pictures of food
- Food, drinks and a very hydrating giveaway
- Front-loading all the healthy this week
Questions of the day
What’s the best thing you’ve eaten so far this week? What’s your favorite meal of the day?