Happy Monday! How was your weekend? Mine was great! Let’s get to a quick recap of the goings-on and then talk about fitness, because I’ve got a big giveaway today for your chance to win a year-long premium membership to the Grokker streaming service for all-access to workouts and cooking demonstrations!
Ladies happy hour on Friday night
On Friday evening, I met a few gals for some cocktails on the patio of Maria Maria in downtown Walnut Creek. The weather was beautiful, there was a great guitar player stationed right near our table, and we enjoyed chatting about girl-type things. After a couple of hours, Dave picked me up, and the two of us headed to our usual Friday night sushi spot, Miraku.
Relaxing and enjoying an easy Saturday morning
Let me tell you, it felt so good not to have my alarm set to wake me up before 6 a.m. on a Saturday. As I mentioned last week, I’ve finally decided to stop teaching classes on the weekends for a while. Although I love to teach, I also felt like I needed a little breather on Saturdays for the time being.
Therefore, on Saturday, I got up when I felt like it, played with Rudy, took my time hanging around in my pajamas, and it was perfect. I did a few short workout sessions at home via the Grokker service (which I’ll tell you more about below), before I showered up so the Pitt family could go off on a mission.
With Rudy in tow, Dave and I went to Jamba Juice to sit outside for some smoothies, then we went to Petco to purchase a traveling case and some toys for Rudy. We have trips coming up the next two weekends, and the little Rudster is going on both of them. We also swung by Target for a few extras. A big day in the ‘burbs! (Wow, did I really just say that?)
Double-date night at Corner’s Tavern
On Saturday night, Dave and I invited some of our friends over to our place to hang out for a bit, then we all went to Corner’s Tavern for dinner. I had heard good things about this restaurant in downtown Walnut Creek, and it did not disappoint. The setting was good, the service was good and so was the food. I’d definitely return. Especially to get the brussels sprouts appetizer, fancy cocktails and carrot cake for dessert. Good stuff!
I selected the smoked salmon on a bed of potatoes as my entree, and before that we all shared a zucchini and goat cheese salad, deep-fried brussels sprouts with parmesan and warm bread and butter, finishing off with some incredibly moist spiced carrot cake for dessert.
Corner’s Tavern was much more “San Francisco” than many of the other restaurants we’ve been to in Walnut Creek thus far, and so we were big fans. We were also big fans of our company that night, who not only provided plenty of laughs, but who also didn’t mind me photographing our food. I love double-dates.
Catch-up, yoga and an Italian meal on Sunday
On Sunday morning, Dave headed out to golf, so I stayed home with Rudy and did a few chores, caught up on blog work and even went to the gym for a yoga session. In the evening, Dave and I went on a rare Sunday-night outing to dinner to use up a Groupon that we were gifted to Montecatini, a fancy Italian restaurant in downtown Walnut Creek. Yes, that means we went out to eat three nights-in-a-row this weekend, which is a lot for us. But everything we ate was delicious, so it was worth it. Now for that giveaway …
Grokker at-home workout review and GIVEAWAY
I was lucky enough to be selected by the team at Sweat Pink and Fit Approach to try out the Grokker streaming healthy-living service and share my favorite videos in a collection. You can check out what I picked, along with the favorites of a few other wonderful Sweat Pink ladies here — you’ll see that we’re all working on achieving #1MillionMinutes of sweat.
But what is Grokker you ask? Grokker is a web-site full of healthy-living videos and open discussion forms, covering the topics of yoga, a full-spectrum of fitness and even cooking. Here are the highlights …
- There are more than 1,000 yoga-related videos all the way from teaching you how to master headstands, to how to ease your lower-back pain with yoga.
- There are more than 1,700 cooking videos, some hosted by celebrity chefs, designed to help you create new dishes at home and master cooking techniques.
- There are more than 800 fitness videos, with workouts ranging from barre all the way to sports conditioning and cardio kickboxing.
- You can search for videos by duration, topic, expert, equipment-needed or focus. Videos range from under five minutes to well over an hour.
- The web-site is busy and has a ton of content, so expect to be a little bit overwhelmed at first. When I first visited, I knew my goal for the day was a short yoga session, so I was easily able to narrow my search.
- You can create your own collections, rate videos, ask questions to the creator of the video and follow “experts” to see what they recommend for you.
- One of my favorite parts is that the service tracks all the videos that you watch and can give you a report of how many minutes you were active on a calendar.
- There are free videos available, but the better videos can only be unlocked with a paid premium membership.
My favorite videos include short yoga sessions and barre workouts, as those are what I really like to do at home to supplement my work at the gym. I plan to spend a lot more time digging around Grokker, because I bet there are tons of cool cooking videos I could use to spruce up my skills in the kitchen. (And yes, Dave would be pumped about that!)
Now, I’m super excited to be able to give away one full year of premium membership to a lucky reader of A Lady Goes West. This giveaway is open to everyone, no matter where you live. And this is a $120 value. The contest will close one week from today, and I’ll select a winner on Monday, August 3.
Have a friend who is in need of this awesome resource for fitness or cooking inspiration at home? Share the love and let them know about this giveaway! And if you don’t win, you can always sign up for one free month of the premium service using the code: LOVEGROKKER.
My weekly fitness and workouts recap
Now, as we do every Monday, let’s take a minute to see how I did with my recent workouts …
(Photo credit to Leah Bentley Photography, 2015.)
- Monday – Rest day (Day-trip to Santa Cruz!)
- Tuesday – Practiced one hour of BODYPUMP at home with weights
- Wednesday – Taught a one-hour BODYATTACK class, foam rolling
- Thursday – Taught a 45-minute BODYPUMP class and a 30-minute freestyle core class, foam rolling
- Friday – Taught a one-hour BODYATTACK class and a one-hour BODYPUMP class
- Saturday – Did an 18-minute barre workout, a 19-minute barre workout and a 15-minute yoga session at home via my collection on Grokker
- Sunday – Attended a one-hour gentle yoga class
What was good about my week of workouts?
A full rest day, yoga, some short barre workouts, two sessions of cardio, a core workout and three sessions of resistance training … now that’s a good week. I’m so glad I’ve finally been able to pick up weights more than a couple-of-times a week again. It feels good! Overall, this past week had great diversity, including two days of low-impact work over the weekend to counteract all the tough stuff I did while teaching during the week.
What could have been better about my week of workouts?
Not too much. I think I fit in a lot, and I also took it easy. Thanks to Grokker for the help.
That’s all I’ve got for you today, my friends. On my agenda? Work, teaching at Orangetheory Fitness, more work and teaching BODYATTACK. Have a good one! And don’t forget today is the last day to enter to win some Les Mills Good Protein, so head on over and put your name in the hat.
**Disclaimer: Please note that this post is sponsored by Fit Approach and Sweat Pink on behalf of Grokker. While I was given a few free months of premium service to Grokker and compensated, all the opinions expressed are my own. Thanks for supporting my sponsors!
Questions of the day
How was your weekend?
How many times do you eat out each week?
What type of videos would you most like to watch on Grokker?