Hello, friends! How are you? I hope your November is off to a great start.
I had a good week, and it pretty much flew by, because I was so busy. I worked, taught my three classes (and debuted new material in two of them, which is a big undertaking, and luckily, I won’t have to do that next week), picked up my new car and spent a lot of time working on some little gift packages for some of my best Beautycounter clients. I also did a million loads of laundry, which is more than the norm and not my favorite activity. After a super-fun weekend with our best friends, we were a little behind on chores, so we had to catch up on all of that stuff after they left on Monday evening.
This weekend will be much slower pace, and I’m good with that. I like busy and full weekends, but I like empty weekends too. How about you? Let’s do those faves …
Halloween 2021 with friends
This year, we had maybe the best Halloween we’ve ever had together as a family, and, it was our first one in Charlotte. Not only were our best friends, Grant and Bre, and their kiddos, visiting us from Columbus, Ohio, but we also went to two neighborhood parties. We’ve made friends with some great people in Charlotte already, and many of them are quite into Halloween.
The following picture is a self-timered one we took at our house before heading out for our second party. Brady was over the whole picture thing and walked off during our “scary shot,” and it ended up being my favorite picture … 🙂
One of the Halloween parties we went to was so well done (actually they were both really well done, and I was very impressed with both). At the second party, the hosts catered it with Chipotle and even had a “tree of chips” for you to grab from. There was plenty for the kiddos to do, while the adults hung out — and that’s exactly the arrangement we all like.
After the two parties were over in the early evening, we did trick or treating, and it was such a blast for Brady and our friends’ kids. They got a lot of candy and had so much fun visiting houses. Brady kept asking “are we still trick-or treating?” every time he walked to the bottom of the driveway of a house, hoping to continue on to the next one. So cute.
I couldn’t get enough of my little t-rex in his costume. And he was so pumped he got to stay up past his bed-time too. Halloween 2021 was about as perfect as you’d hope a Halloween could be. And now I can see why people here are so excited about this holiday.
A quick note about our costumes, we bought them here. And I’m pretty sure if you’re an advanced planner, now is a great time to get a discounted costume for next year.
Fun with friends (and lots of good food)
Even though we took most of our pictures from the weekend on Halloween, we did other things with our visiting friends last weekend. We went to Freedom Park to walk around and explore (always a popular spot to take our visitors). We walked to our neighborhood park and picnicked on Publix subs (so satisfying). And we hung out around the house a lot too.
A couple of highlights: We had a delicious lunch at Yafo Kitchen (which I’ve raved about before, and my latest bowl is shown below). And we went out to a delicious dinner at Dogwood in the South Park neighborhood (which is Southern cuisine in a fancy way, and nearly every bite was excellent).
(My dress is two years old and not available, but this one is very similar.)
We have the best time with these friends, and I look forward to hanging out again soon. Also, Brady is totally obsessed with their three kiddos and was so sad when they left. I hate to sound like a broken record, but we would definitely not have had this visit had we not been living on the East Coast again. Just another benefit!
Beautycounter holiday gifts sets for 2021 are here
November and December are always my favorite months of the year to be a part of Beautycounter.
That’s because so many people try out the brand for the first time, and I love to convert new fans to clean beauty. While I was able to order and check out the new 2021 Beautycounter holiday gifts early, I hadn’t spent a lot of time examining them until recently, and I love them all.
I wrote this post with some of my favorite gifts. And I purchased some extra sets to break up and give as gifts to my clients. Brady has been enjoying helping me out with them too.
If you want to take a look around at the gift sets, you can do that here. And I would LOVE it if you shopped with me this year. Let me know if you have any questions or need any help! 🙂
This part needs a bit of a disclaimer.
This section of the post is where I share all the workouts I did the previous week. I want to remind you that I do more than the average person, because I’m a group fitness instructor, and it’s part of my job.
Your personal workout week should work with your lifestyle, be diverse and leave you feeling energized. It doesn’t need to look like mine or anyone else’s. It’s yours.
And in order to stay injury free, you should pay attention to the gear you use during your workout. Are you wearing the right shoes? Check out this post to find out … “How to choose the right athletic shoe for your workouts.”
- Monday: Taught 1-hour full-body barbell class at Life Time, 9:45 a.m.
- Tuesday: Taught 1-hour barre class with light weights at Life Time, 9:45 a.m.
- Wednesday: Taught 45-minute barre class with light weights at Life Time, did 15-minute lower-body weights workout, 9:45 a.m.
- Thursday: Taught 45-minute full-body weights/cardio class at Life Time, 10 a.m.
- Friday: Took 1-hour hot yoga class at Life Time, 9 a.m.
- Saturday: Rest day
- Sunday: Rest day
This past week of workouts was a simple one. I taught four classes, took a hot yoga class and took two full days off. While our visitors were here, we stayed busy with other activities and didn’t fit in any official workouts. We did do a lot of walking and outdoor play, so it’s not like I was sitting around, so it’s all good. Also, I’m happy to report that yoga is back in my life over the last two weeks.
A Lady Goes West favorite products
There are certain brands that I swear by in my own life, and so I like to share them with you. If you choose to try them too, and if you use my links or promo codes, you will be supporting me. Thanks for that!
- Carbon38. I’m always wearing stuff from here, and it’s the coolest activewear around. Get 15 percent off your first two orders of $100 or more using the code ASHLEYPITT.
- G2G protein bars. I love these tasty and minimal-ingredient protein bars. You can get 15 percent off your order on the G2G Bar site with the code ALADYGOESWEST.
- Organifi supplements. This is my go-to protein powder brand. You can get 15 percent off your order on the Organifi site with the code ALADYGOESWEST.
- Beautycounter. The best safe skincare and makeup. Send me a message, and I’ll share a 20 percent off code for your very first order.
- Les Mills On Demand workouts. My favorite fitness brand. You can do a whole month of workouts during a free 30-day trial by using my special referral link here.
A couple of good ones from around the web
- Thanksgiving planning. I know it seems early, but have you started planning Thanksgiving yet? If not, it may be a good idea to jot down some thoughts on your menu, if you’re doing the cooking or hosting. Here’s a great pre-Thanksgiving planning set of tips.
- Movements in motherhood. Several years ago, when Brady was a newborn and we were struggling with the new-baby phase, a reader directed me to the essays on “Coffee + Crumbs,” and I loved them. They are mostly about motherhood — the real and raw stuff. I rarely click back through to the site these days, but I stumbled upon this article on the chaos of having young children, and I really liked the metaphor of comparing it to conducting an orchestra. I only have one little person to keep track of, but even that can be a lot at times. It’s a great site to peruse if you’re into the topic of real motherhood.
Here’s the thought of the week …
A Lady Goes West favorite archives
- Clean beauty and skincare gifts. It’s officially that time of year, and it’s one of my favorites. Check out these awesome gift sets you can get for yourself or someone else … “The best Beautycounter holiday gifts for 2021.”
- Body image. I recently shared this post to someone who was asking about this very topic, and thought I’d bring it back up here too … “How to handle a changing body image.”
Thank you for coming by A Lady Goes West, my friends. Have a great weekend. Make sure you stay hydrated and get in a little rest too. 🙂 xoxo
Questions of the day
How was your week?
Did you dress up for Halloween?
Have you started (or thought about) your holiday shopping yet?