Hey, my friends! How are you? I hope you are hanging in there with whatever life is throwing at you right now. With the change of season, I think better times are ahead of us, but I know we each carry various burdens. It always helps to talk to someone, to get out for some fresh air, and to remember that what doesn’t kill us, hopefully makes us stronger.
But I digress, because this is just a “current faves” post, and we’re going to keep it light today.
It was a busy week over here. I went to the DMV to get my North Carolina drivers’s license (and REAL ID), we continued to work on our house, I taught my two virtual classes on Motus, I had some Beautycounter meetings (including a fun virtual social last night), we had some more furniture delivered, and Brady had school three mornings. This weekend, we have some more house projects on the agenda and plan to spend some time outside.
Speaking of the house, I have so many house-related favorites that I want to feature, but I’m going to save them for a future post all about what I’ve been selecting and buying to decorate. A lot of my attention has been on house stuff, so it’s been difficult to find other faves. But let’s give it a go …
Welcome, welcome spring 2021
Maybe it’s because we moved across the country in a super-cold and rainy time and life seemed so dreary for weeks on end in our dark AirBnB. Maybe it’s because we’re finally getting settled in Charlotte and filling up our new house. Maybe it’s because my sweet mom is fully vaccinated from COVID, and I’m hoping to be one day soon too (if you’re not into the vaccine, that’s totally your prerogative, so let’s not judge each other for wanting it or not). But I do feel a change in the air — in my own life, and for others too.
I’m very happy that the days are longer, the weather is more friendly and mild here, and we are all a little more hopeful for increased normalcy on the horizon. Do you agree with me on this?
On a micro level, it means we have more sunlight for our later afternoon walks and adventures, and it also means leaving our coats behind. But on a macro level, it means that soon we can all start to come out of hiding a bit more, and I think we all need it. Happy spring 2021, folks. I know it’s going to be way better than the spring of 2020.
It probably seems like we watch a lot of TV, because I’ve talked about things I’ve enjoyed quite a bit lately in faves posts. But Dave and I only watch one show a night, that’s it. Here are two things we caught last week, which were super enjoyable and worth sharing …
“Nate Bargatze: The Greatest Average American” on Netflix
I’ve watched stuff from the comedian, Nate Bargatze, before, because he’s hilarious. He has other Netlflix specials that a friend introduced me to a couple of years ago, and we loved them. Dave and I saw that Bargatze had a brand new one-hour comedy show out this past weekend on Netflix — “The Greatest Average American” — and we instantly watched it.
(Image source: Netflix.)
It was hilarious from the very beginning through the very end. Bargatze’s comedy isn’t dirty, it isn’t political, it isn’t clever either — it’s really just funny everyday stuff that I feel like most people would laugh at, and his delivery is so good.
“Billie Eilish: The World’s A Little Blurry” on Apple TV+
Dave and I were doing a FaceTime with some friends recently who mentioned we should watch this documentary, “Billie Eilish: The World’s A Little Blurry” on Apple TV+.” So we did, and it was captivating. We watched it over the course of two nights, and I was completely entertained and interested in Billie Eilish — her close-knit family situation, her music-writing process, her backstory, and so much more.
(Image source: Apple TV+.)
She’s young, she was homeschooled, she still lives with her parents, and she’s super talented. I won’t say much more than that, but I will say I like her music a bit more after watching this documentary. And it seems like she is just getting started.
The best flavor combination
I’ve featured Mary’s Gone Crackers in a previous faves post, and they are the crunchiest crackers, which have a great flavor (they also have great ingredients). But I’ve recently been buying a newer product, Ithaca hummus, and the two of these together make one amazing combination.
For lunch the last few weeks, I’ve been having veggies, eggs and then this cracker/hummus combination — and it’s addicting, in the best way. So good. The lemon dill flavor of the Ithaca hummus is tasty, but the beet one is to-die-for, so grab it if you see it. I find both these items at Sprouts or Whole Foods, by the way.
Because I like to share how I’m moving, here are last week’s workouts …
- Monday: 30-minute BODYPUMP via Les Mills On Demand, 6 p.m.
- Tuesday: Taught 45-minute barre class on Motus, 3 p.m.
- Wednesday: 20-minute run, 10 a.m., 20-minute yoga, 6 p.m.
- Thursday: Taught 45-minute barre class on Motus, 3 p.m.
- Friday: 30-minute lower-body weights via Peloton, 7 p.m.
- Saturday: 10-minute upper-body weights, 30-minute cycle via Peloton, 10 a.m.
- Sunday: 20-minute yoga stretching via Peloton, 11 a.m.
This past week was another solid one, with three full resistance sessions, two virtual classes, two sessions of yoga and an active recovery day. We moved our Peloton bike upstairs into the bonus room where I teach my classes and do my other workouts. I’m hoping that move encourages me to get on the bike more, because it’s always a lot of fun — even though I know I need to focus on weights more than on cardio.
A Lady Goes West recommended favorite products
I only share what I use and love in my own life, and here are some of the brands I swear by. And when you use my discount codes and links, you support me, so thanks for that …
- Fit Revolution. Get a 14-day trial and 33 percent off your first month of this amazing workout platform (where you can take my classes on demand) with the code ASHLEYPITT3PC1.
- Carbon38. The coolest activewear around. Get 15 percent off your first two orders of $100 or more using the code ASHLEYPITT.
- G2G protein bars. I love these tasty and minimal-ingredient protein bars. You can get 15 percent off your order on the G2G Bar site with the code ALADYGOESWEST.
- Organifi superfood supplements. I’m all about the Organifi Complete Plant-Based protein powder. You can get 15 percent off your order on the Organifi site with the code ALADYGOESWEST.
- Four Sigmatic. These superfood coffees and teas are so good — I especially love the Cacao Chill and Lion’s Mane Latte. Get 15 percent off your order with the code ALADYGOESWEST.
- Beautycounter. The best safe skincare and makeup. Send me a message, and I’ll share a 10 percent off code for your very first order.
- Les Mills On Demand streaming workouts. My favorite fitness brand. You can do a whole month of workouts during a free 30-day trial by using my special referral link here.
- Les Mills Coach program. You can get 15 percent off a 4-, 8- or 12-week guided coaching and accountability program with the code ASHLEY15.
A few things from around the web
- Freezing avocados. Whenever we have too many bananas that are ripe, I slice them up and freeze the extras for smoothies, but I’ve never tried freezing avocados. Apparently it’s a doable thing, and here’s how to do it.
- Peloton’s Jess Sims. If you don’t use the Peloton app, you’ve probably never heard of Jess Sims, who is my favorite strength instructor on the platform. But this interview she recently did with “Forbes” is an amazing read, even if you’ve never taken a Peloton class. She talks about sticking to the basics in fitness, about leading by example and about living life as a teacher. I ate this up, and her positive message is something we all need.
Here’s the quote of the week from the Calm app …
A Lady Goes West favorite archives
- Brady. An entire post dedicated to my sweet little man and what he enjoys … “Brady’s favorite things at three years old.”
- Fitness real talk. There are plenty of ways to sweat, read this and ask yourself if you’re choosing the right ways … “How do you know if a workout is right for you?“
Thank you for reading the blog today! Have a great day and weekend, friends! 🙂
Questions of the day
How was your week?
What are you up to this weekend?
What’s your favorite food combination right now?