Hi, friends! I hope you’ve had a great week! How are we already into the month of September? My goodness. I’m happy to be back with you today with a fresh set of current favorites after taking last week off.
It’s another long weekend for Labor Day, and we don’t have much on the agenda except a picnic at a park in the City. Other than that, I’ll probably do some work, a couple workouts and some relaxing. And I’ll have this little one by my side … 🙂
Brady’s first haircut
We finally did it! As we approach Brady’s third birthday, it was time for Brady’s first haircut … quite honestly, I had been putting it off for a long time. I love his curls, I love his crazy hair, and I love that we kept it all in tact for so long. Even if his hair basically needed its own zip code at times.
(Here’s a picture of his hair right before his first haircut.)
This week, we went over to my hairstylist’s house to have her cut Brady’s hair in her new garage salon, and he did great. Oh my gosh, it was so precious how he stayed pretty still and had no problem getting it done.
She took off a couple inches, and I went around collecting the fuzz from the ground and putting it in a little baggie so we could save it. #MomLife
(The process of cutting his hair, which she cut dry.)
Right after we got it done, I thought it looked great and was totally fine with it. Then a little bit later, when we were home, I felt pretty sad. He looks so big and grown up with his new haircut, and I felt like I didn’t recognize my baby. I guess I’ll get used to it! But I’m currently torn.
(And the after-the-cut shot. So fly!)
I’ve actually had a few people ask me about how we care for his hair. Here’s how: We wash it maybe every three days using this shampoo. Then, we use this mini wet brush to comb out the tangles both in the bath and after. That’s it! We don’t brush it every day, we just let it flow. Some days it’s wilder than others. And yes, he gets his curly hair from me, because mine is naturally quite curly.
Our Tahoe trip
I know I already wrote a Tahoe trip recap and shared it with you. But our little getaway to Tahoe was favorite, favorite, so it had to be mentioned again.
I want to go back ASAP. Isn’t it funny how taking a trip just makes you want to go on another trip right away? Well, it does for me at least. We had so much fun. And every day this week, I kept thinking: last week at this time we were in Tahoe doing XYZ. 🙂
If you haven’t read it yet, here’s my post: “Highlights from our trip to Lake Tahoe.”
Getting a new MacBook Air
I had been using the same laptop for almost seven years. And that computer was my everything — used for music for group fitness playlists, used as a viewing device for streaming workouts, used for creating content, running the blog, launching and growing my Beautycounter business and just about everything else I do, every single day.
It was my first Apple computer after switching over from a PC, and it supported me for a very long time, even as one of the shift buttons stopped working, and I constantly used up the memory and had to export files to an external hard-drive. That computer had truly run its course.
Well, out with the old and in with the new …
I finally decided to head to the Apple store a couple of weeks ago and get a new laptop. I got another MacBook Air, 13 inch, with a bit more memory than the last. And it’s a rose gold color, which is quite pretty.
By the way, the new Apple laptops now have a finger-sensor you can use instead of entering your password, as well as a new power jack. One slightly annoying thing though: The new computers also do not have USB slots, so you have to get a converter for that, which I did, because I need a USB for teaching my virtual classes, among other things.
Anywho, my new computer is super fast, smooth and has a lot more space than my last one. I am loving it so far. And it’s a necessary part of what I do.
Two more cool things worth sharing:
- There’s a program where you can trade in your old Apple laptop for a product credit. Mine was super old, and I still got $170 back for it. Apparently they recycle the used computers and salvage any parts they can. Pretty good deal.
- With my new computer, we got a free one-year subscription to Apple+ TV. Well, Dave and I immediately checked it out and started watching “The Morning Show” with Reese Witherspoon, Jennifer Aniston, Steve Carell and a few other stars. It is hands-down one of the most captivating shows. It’s only 10 episodes, one season, and I loved every second. I highly recommend.
Here are my workouts from the last two weeks …
Week of 8/17
- Monday: 30-minute BODYPUMP, 30-minute Barre via Les Mills On Demand, 5 p.m.
- Tuesday: Taught 45-minute barre, 12 p.m., 30-minute cycle, 6 p.m.
- Wednesday: 50-minute full-body workout via Peloton, 5:30 p.m.
- Thursday: Taught 45-minute barre, 12 p.m., 10-minute cycle, 5 p.m.
- Friday: 45-minute weights circuit, 10:30 a.m.
- Saturday: 45-minute cycle, 11 a.m.
- Sunday: 30-minute slow yoga flow, 6 p.m.
Week of 8/24
- Monday: 30-minute Les Mills GRIT Strength via Les Mills On Demand, 11 a.m.
- Tuesday: 20-minute outdoor jog, 2 p.m.
- Wednesday: 15-minute bodyweight workout via Peloton, 3 p.m.
- Thursday: Rest day
- Friday: 30-minute cycle, 6 p.m.
- Saturday: 40-minute leg workout via Peloton, 11 a.m.
- Sunday: 30-minute arm workout via Peloton, 10 a.m.
These past two weeks were quite different. The first one was a regular at-home workout week, teaching classes and having access to my equipment. The second week included our trip to Tahoe and was a lot lighter on movement. Both weeks were good, because I didn’t mind a little bit of a rest.
A few A Lady Goes West recommended products
You guys know I only share what I love, so here are some of the brands I recommend …
- Carbon38. The coolest activewear around. Get 15 percent off your first two orders of $100 or more using the code ASHLEYPITT.
- G2G protein bars. I love these tasty and clean protein bars. You can get 15 percent off your order on the G2G Bar site with the code ALADYGOESWEST.
- Organifi superfood supplements. I’m all about the Organifi Complete Plant-Based protein powder, the RED powder and the GOLD powder. You can get 15 percent off your order on the Organifi site with the code ALADYGOESWEST.
- Daily Harvest frozen foods. I’ve loved every single thing I’ve tried from this healthy frozen food delivery service, including the smoothies, flatbreads, desserts and bowls. You can get $25 off your first order on the Daily Harvest site with the code ALADYGOESWEST.
- Beautycounter. The best safe skincare and makeup. Send me a message, and I’ll share a 10 percent off code for your very first order.
- Les Mills On Demand streaming workouts. My favorite fitness brand. You can do a whole month of workouts during a free 30-day trial by using my special referral link here.
- Four Sigmatic. These superfood coffees and teas are so good — I especially love the Cacao Chill and Lion’s Mane Latte. Get 15 percent off your order on the Four Sigmatic site using the code ALADYGOESWEST.
A few things from around the web
- The importance of brands doing good. This article in “Forbes” is just another reason it’s so great to support companies like Beautycounter, because they give back so much. I loved reading this profile about all the beneficial work Beautycounter is doing in the world.
- How to cut back on your plastic use. There are some great and specific tips in this short article on what can be recycled and how to reduce your consumption of plastics. This is a very important topic, and I know I need to do better here.
And here’s the quote of the week from the Calm app, which I use to do my daily morning meditations …
A Lady Goes West favorite archives
- Workout talk. Have you ever wondered if you’ve found a good workout program yet? This one is for you … “How do you know if a workout is right for you?“
- Beauty and business. I’m so happy to be a part of Beautycounter. It’s fun, rewarding and our team is growing. Have you ever considered it? Check out this one … “All about what it’s like to be a Beautycounter consultant.”
Thank you for visiting the blog today, my friends. I’ll see you over on Instagram! I hope you have a wonderful weekend. 🙂
Questions of the day
How was your week?
Do you have anything exciting coming up this month?
Are you an Apple or a PC person?