Random life updates and a look at my food
Hi, my friends! Welcome to the middle of the week. What’s been going on over here? Well a few things. So let’s cover some riveting chatter and then get to the food …
Some recent ramblings from the West Coast
- Rudy (our little maltipoo) is growing like a weed. He has doubled in weight in the nearly four weeks that we’ve had him. He is super playful, sleeps a lot and doesn’t make too much noise, unless you scare him by carrying things in your hands. We’re looking forward to introducing him to some friends this weekend, because he hasn’t met anyone other than people at the vet’s office so far.
- Fourth of July is upon us! Last year, Dave and I had some Florida friends visiting, and we took them to experience our favorite spot in the City, Fort Mason Park on the Bay. This year, we’re hanging out with a group of friends for a little pool-party fun in the ‘burbs, and it’s going to be a hot one.
- Ladies and gentlemen, “Million Dollar Listing San Francisco” is debuting next week on Bravo, and I’ve already set it to record. I’m so looking forward to seeing what types of properties are featured across the Bay Area, as well as the hefty price-tags.
- Yesterday, I received a text for an emergency sub request just two hours later for a BODYPUMP class at a gym where I regularly teach about 20-minutes away. While I’m someone who likes to have their day planned out, I decided to jump on that request and rearrange a few things to make it happen. I figure I should pay it forward, because there are times when I’m in need of subs, and it’s not always easy to get coverage. The good news? I got in a resistance session and made someone else’s life easier. A win-win.
Now on to the topic of the day …
This week’s “What I Ate Wednesday” recap
Every single week, I recap a full day of my eating, complete with real pictures. These “What I Ate Wednesday” posts are nothing more than a chance to give you some insight into what actual meals look like from someone who tries to be fairly healthy. But believe me, I’m far from a 100-percent clean eater. (And if you didn’t see my post about the weekend, then you missed out on a picture of the deep-fried Oreo I enjoyed at a local fair. Why? Because food makes me happy.)
In this post, I’m sharing every single thing I ate yesterday — a Tuesday — in which I taught two classes at Orangetheory Fitness in the morning, came home to complete some blog work, went back out to sub that last-minute BODYPUMP class at lunch, and returned home for more work on the computer for the remainder of the evening.
Breakfast at 6 a.m.
Parfait: Plain Greek yogurt, a sliced-up banana and some Post Grape-Nuts Granola (which just-so-happened to make it into last week’s “Friday Favorites“) all filled out this breakfast bowl. I had this alongside a mug of hot green tea, sweetened with stevia and vanilla soy milk.
Mid-morning snack at 11 a.m.
Sweet and salty: I unexpectedly got another package full of CLIF bars to my door last week, so I’m back to enjoying these CLIF Organic Trail Mix Bars for snacks. These are the perfect mix of nuts, chocolate and fruit, especially in this Wild Blueberry Almond flavor. Gone in just a few bites as I stopped by home between teaching classes, and it was just what I needed.
Lunch at 1:30 p.m.
Dense and delicious: After I got home from teaching BODYPUMP, I made myself this smoothie bowl. Included in the goodness? One bag of Vega One All-in-One Nutritional Shake, Chocolate, frozen spinach, frozen blueberries, soy milk and ice cubes. The folks at Vega sent me a few of their products, and I must say, I’m definitely starting to enjoy plant-based proteins more than ever before. They have a gritty and pleasing texture, and the Vanilla Chai flavor from Vega is absolutely my favorite, (but the chocolate is great too). These packets are the perfect thing to add into a smoothie for extra nutrients. And the best part? One serving has 20 grams of protein and six servings of greens.
Afternoon snack at 4:30 p.m.
Juice and nuts: If you count the granola and the trail-mix bar, I guess this would be the third time I had almonds yesterday. Overkill? Hmmm. I should work on diversifying, but I seem to be drawn to food with nuts in it. I had these raw almonds alongside some strange juice containing apples, greens and carrots, which I picked up with a coupon at Jamba Juice earlier in the day. It was pretty tasty.
Dinner at 8 p.m.
Sandwich night: Shown above is a grilled chicken sandwich, with cheese, tomato and avocado on a toasted whole-wheat bun. On the side, some broccolini roasted in coconut oil. Dave grilled the chicken, I did the veggies, and this healthy meal came together quickly. Simple and satisfying.
After dinner, I had some vanilla soy milk straight from the carton and called it a night.
In addition to talking about food on Wednesdays on the ole’ blog, I also always teach BODYATTACK at lunch, work and then teach two classes at Orangetheory Fitness in the evening. I hope your day is just great, while you’re doing your Wednesday thing.
Read more daily eating recaps
Each week, “What I Ate Wednesday” is hosted by Peas and Crayons for bloggers to showcase their eats to the world. If you want to see more food recaps, check out some of my posts from the past here:
- A full day of eating in pictures
- Another full day of my eats and drinks
- Real food isn’t always pretty
- Do you have a balanced dining out strategy?
- What I ate and drank all day
- Three meals, two snacks and a shake
- Food trucks and rest-day eating
- Plenty of protein at every meal
- Colorful fuel for a day of training
- Long days of training require a lot of food
- Making do on “What I Ate Wednesday”
- Healthy foods for a rest day
- Who doesn’t like pictures of food?
- A look at a full day of eating in pictures
- Snapshots from a day of delicious meals
- Pictures of food, because you like them
- Food pictures and the juice cleanse that wasn’t
- A look at what I really eat in a day
- What I ate in the Sunshine State
- My weekend eats and a little narrative
- Stories about food and yesterday’s meals
- A day of eating and some commentary
- Do you want to know what I ate yesterday?
- Healthy challenges and foods from my day
- Eating, napping and eating again
- Filling up on healthy food before the holiday
- A perfect birthday at home and my eats
- Top blog posts, reader stats and my food
- A different kind of training and my food
- Joining a healthy green movement and my eats
- Must-try veggie pasta tip and my eats
- Are you eating this sweet and satisfying fruit?
- What a difference a week makes and my eats
- On Wednesdays we look at pictures of food
- Food, drinks and a very hydrating giveaway
- Front-loading all the healthy this week
- MealEnders giveaway and back to healthy food
- Eating, drinking and sharing the pictures
- I don’t like bad people, I do like good food
- Smart training nutrition tips and my meals
- “What I Ate Wednesday” and a Phenoh 7.4 review
- What my daily meals look like in pictures
- Food pictures from a light and healthy day
- Life lately and a look at all of my meals
- What’s normal to you? (And my daily eats)
- A bit of chatter and “What I Ate Wednesday”
- How you eat beets and a look at a day of food
- What I ate yesterday in the Sunshine State
- A full day of lazy eating from the weekend
- Every thing I ate yesterday in pictures
- BlogFest 2015 and “What I Ate Wednesday”
- Why I refuel after a workout and my daily eats
Questions of the day
What’s your usual Wednesday routine?
Do you have an easy summer recipe to share for the Fourth of July?
What’s the best thing you’ve eaten lately?
That dinner looks fantastical! Broccolini roasted in coconut oil? Love that idea and I’ll definitely be trying it soon.
Happy Wednesday! Hi Rudy!!!!
Hi Courtney! I roast everything in coconut oil! It adds the best flavor and a little char. Happy Wednesday and July to you! 🙂 Hope you’re having a wonderful week so far.
I’m excited to watch million dollar listing San fransisco!! I love that show, esp the New York one!
Hi Marielle! Yes, we’re watching the NY one now and have enjoyed all the seasons. It’s one of the few reality shows that Dave and I can watch together! 🙂
As an architecture nerd (and someone in real estate, as well as a lover of Bravo), I adore MDL, but we don’t have DVR and Bravo doesn’t put it on On Demand! WWHHHYYYYYYY
Oh too bad, Susie! Maybe it will be available one day. It’s so good. But I’m sure you get your architecture fix elsewhere. Happy Wednesday!
Plant based protein is all I will eat. For some reason, whey hurts my stomach. Vega is the only brand I truly love and eat every day. The nutritional shake in vanilla and the mocha sports protein are my two favs. I’m so excited Vega sent you some to try. 4th of July easy recipe is my berry quinoa crumble that was up Monday!
Hi Megan! Yes, berries are very Fourth-festive!! Happy Wednesday, Megan. Yay for Vega! 🙂
I have heard good things about Vega. I am trying out a few different kinds of plant based protein powder and trying to decide which one I like best. I just bought some Sunwarrior and so far I like it.
My Wednesday’s always involve BODYPUMP 🙂
Hi Heather! Yay for BODYPUMP of course. I’ve never tried Sunwarrior but have heard good things. I’ll need to try that one next to see what all the fuss is about heeheh. Have a good day!
I love being able to pay it forward, so good for you for helping out! That karma will always come back for you 🙂
Wednesdays are usually my only day without a routine! Every other day I have a pretty scheduled plan for the day, but Wednesdays I always leave free to catch up on things to go to the humane society to walk dogs. Today I’ll be doing my first interview for my blog and getting my first facial! Not a bad way to spend hump day! Hope your day is great!
Hi Gretchen! So awesome you go to walk dogs at the Human Society — that’s a great way to spend the day. Good luck with the interview and enjoy the facial. 🙂 Happy Wednesday to you!
The chocolate vega one flavor is my favorite! I’ve been out for a few days and am so missing it!
Hi Stacie! Yes, it’s good. I’ve been on smoothie overload with all these Vega flavors. Happy Wednesday, lady!
Oh those eats look good ! Perfect for summer ! Best thing I ate or am currently eating while I type this is a super healthy packed breakfast cookie bought from our local health food store ! With a side of berries and a good serving of peanut butter – cause why not ? I’m in heaven!
Hi Fiona! Eating local is the way to go! Sounds yummy. 🙂 I’d love to have that exact breakfast. Happy Wednesday to you!
I CANNOT wait for Million Dollar Listing to come out, though pretty much everything is a million dollars here so it’s going to have to be $30 million dollars min to impress me lol. Your black Vega shake looks incredible by the way! And also – funny that Rudy gets scared when you carry stuff in your hands…I wonder why?? Kind of cute though!
McBride Sisters Interview: On Wine, Following Your Dreams, and Being an Oprah Favorite!
Hi Jill! I know, and to see inside some of those Russian Hill and Nob Hill places that I admired from street level in my old ‘hood… oh can’t wait!! Happy Wednesday, lady! 🙂
That was nice of you to take on that last minute sub job! I definitely think helping each other out like that is all part of being a team, so way to go! Plus, a little extra BODYPUMP in your week is always a fun perk! 😉
Your grilled chicken sandwich looks delish! Love the addition of the avocado!
Hi Ash! I could add avocado to just about anything! 🙂 And yes, I still want to get another BODYPUMP class each week, but they just don’t come open. I could seriously have a BODYATTACK every day if I wanted, but not so much with BODYPUMP. Too many instructors I guess! Happy Wednesday. 🙂
YES! I love Million Dollar Listing– even better they are featuring SF! So cool. We plan on hanging by the pool this weekend too 🙂 Enjoy!
Sweet! Pool time is perfect for the holiday. Enjoy, Katie!! 🙂
Oh you best believe I have Million Dollar Listing SF set to record! I love love love the show (NYC right here) and can’t wait to see what the West Coast has to offer (LA just didn’t do it for me….) Best thing I’ve eaten have been smoothies… and my usual Wednesday routine involves a mid-week long run in the AM, but with the thunderstorms we’ve been having… was unable to do so this am. : ( Totally threw off my whole day haha. Hope you have a fab Wednesday!
Hi Jamie! I know how you feel when things get thrown off it messes you up! Oh well. Hope you get that long run in later this week. And a very Happy Wednesday to you too! 🙂
I want to try those Cliff bars! Love that avocado too. I can’t get enough lately! California produce is the best.
I know, Laura! Everything is tastier in California. 🙂
I’ve been on the hunt for a healthy protein powder…I’ll have to give Vega One a shot!
Hi Will! It’s very good. And for a plant-based protein, you get tons of extra nutrients. Hope you like it if you give it a try. And a very happy “What I Ate Wednesday” to you. Thanks for saying hi!
Bravo has such fun shows! I am sure it is hard to leave to go teach class when you have to leave that cute puppy at home. 🙂 Good day of eats!
Hi Lauren! I hate leaving him! But sadly, both his Mommy and Daddy have to work hehehe, so it happens a lot. 🙂 Happy Wednesday!
Just wanted to share that Downtown Walnut Creek is getting it’s own Off The Grid!
You are awesome, Sabrina. I just spammed that article out to all my ‘burb friends hahah! 🙂 Thank you for sending it my way. I’ll be there!
Nothing beats paying it forward and getting a work out in at the same time! Glad it all worked out and hope you have a LOVELY 4th in the ‘burbs! Stay cool! xoxo
Thanks, Bethann! I hope you’re having a great week! 🙂
I HAD NO IDEA THERE WAS GOING TO BE A MILLION DOLLAR LISTING SAN FRANCISCO. zomg. i need to watch. thanks for sharing!!
It premieres July 8, Dani! Get on it! 🙂 heheh! Happy Wednesday!
It’s nice that you subbed for someone 🙂
Well thanks, Sam! I try to sub for people whenever I can. I know how tough it is. Hope you’re having a great week! 🙂
That broccolini looks so friggin good to me!!!! I don’t really like broccoli, but broccolini, bring it!
I like broccolini more than broccoli for sure, GiGi!! 🙂 Eat up!
Wow look at all the greens you ate today!!! That blueberry smoothie looked Divine, and i totally love broccolini too! YUM!
Thanks, Krissy! I try to get in a lot of greens on the weekdays especially. Happy day to you! 🙂