Happy Wednesday, my friends! Well, I’ve officially been bombarding you with all things IDEA BlogFest and IDEA World Fitness Convention the last couple of days, so today it’s all about food. However, make sure you check out the following posts to find out more about my awesome adventures in Southern California.
- The big highlights from IDEA BlogFest in LA
- What I learned about fitness at IDEA World Fitness Convention
After a lot of travel throughout last week and the weekend, as well as a beach-side outing to Santa Cruz Boardwalk on Monday, I was glad to be back to a bit more normal eating yesterday. So that’s what I’m sharing with you …
This week’s “What I Ate Wednesday” recap
So what is “What I Ate Wednesday” anyhow? Every single week, I recap a full day of my eating, complete with real pictures of all my food. These posts are simply a chance to give you some insight into what actual meals look like from someone who tries to be fairly healthy. I definitely don’t have a perfect diet, in fact, far from it. But I do my best to get in plenty of nutrients and some of the good stuff too.
Today, I’m sharing everything I ate yesterday. All meals were prepared at home in between work, and they looked like this …
Breakfast at 6 a.m.
Starting the day off right: My go-to breakfast of choice as of late right here. Cottage cheese, some honey-roasted peanuts, compliments of Southwest Airlines (love those!) and a sliced-up banana. And of course, I enjoyed this alongside some hot green tea, sweetened with vanilla soy milk and stevia.
Mid-morning snack at 10 a.m.
Hot and sweet: As you can imagine, I came back with a ton of healthy and tasty swag from my trip to LA for IDEA BlogFest and IDEA World Fitness Convention. And so far the tastiest bar has been this Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Larabar. It’s like dessert. Snack time also featured another mug of hot green tea, sweetened with vanilla soy milk and stevia.
Lunch at 1 p.m.
Filling up on greens: I hadn’t enjoyed a smoothie bowl since last week before leaving for LA, so I was in major need. This bowl includes tons of ingredients — half of a frozen banana, frozen spinach, frozen blueberries, frozen strawberries, veggie powder, vegan vanilla protein powder, ice cubes and a little bit of soy milk — all blended up into a hearty green concoction. It was divine! But boy, I sure do struggle with my crappy Nutribullet to make it happen.
Afternoon snack at 5 p.m.
More greens: Keeping with the green theme for the day, I decided to bust open this “Renew” beverage by Daily Greens, a company out of Austin, Texas. This organic and cold-pressed juice had a sweet flavor, which I really enjoyed. It wasn’t as bitter as some of the other green juices out there. The label said this bottle had six pounds of fresh organic produce in it, which is just awesome when you’re trying to load up on nutrients. I’d definitely drink this again. Thanks to the folks at Daily Greens for sending me a few juices as well as a cookbook. This went perfectly alongside another leftover bar from my trip — a coffee-flavored Chia Bar — which was also delicious.
Post-workout at 7:30 p.m.
Refuel: While I was attending nutrition sessions at IDEA World, I was glad to hear that many of the professionals were adamant about post-workout recovery nutrients featuring protein within an hour of physical activity. While liquid seems to work better for my body, food is always appropriate as well. I had this shake after practicing BODYPUMP at home using my fancy SMARTBAR, and it was just what I needed to hold me over until dinner. I always freeze my protein shakes for just a bit to give them a nice slush, so note the icy consistency.
Dinner at 8:30 p.m.
Keeping it simple: My final meal of the day was super easy to put together. Our fridge is a little bit empty right now when it comes to fresh produce, so I pieced together some staple items. Veggie burgers, a tomato and two fried eggs for the win! I haven’t had veggie burgers in a while, and boy these are good. (Clearly, this was one of those nights when Dave and I ate something different.)
After dinner, I took a few chugs of vanilla almond milk straight from the carton, as I always do. And that’s what I had. It feels good to be back to my normal eating habits for a few days! I don’t know if you noticed, but somehow I didn’t eat any meat yesterday, which was unintentional but seems to happen a couple of times-a-week.
Today, I’m working at home, teaching a lunch-time BODYATTACK class and then coaching a couple of classes at Orangetheory Fitness tonight. I hope your Wednesday is fabulous, and I’ll see you back here tomorrow.
Read more daily eating recaps
Each week, “What I Ate Wednesday” is hosted by Peas and Crayons for bloggers to showcase their eats to the world. If you want to see more food recaps, check out some of my posts from the past here:
- A full day of eating in pictures
- Another full day of my eats and drinks
- Real food isn’t always pretty
- Do you have a balanced dining out strategy?
- What I ate and drank all day
- Three meals, two snacks and a shake
- Food trucks and rest-day eating
- Plenty of protein at every meal
- Colorful fuel for a day of training
- Long days of training require a lot of food
- Making do on “What I Ate Wednesday”
- Healthy foods for a rest day
- Who doesn’t like pictures of food?
- A look at a full day of eating in pictures
- Snapshots from a day of delicious meals
- Pictures of food, because you like them
- Food pictures and the juice cleanse that wasn’t
- A look at what I really eat in a day
- What I ate in the Sunshine State
- My weekend eats and a little narrative
- Stories about food and yesterday’s meals
- A day of eating and some commentary
- Do you want to know what I ate yesterday?
- Healthy challenges and foods from my day
- Eating, napping and eating again
- Filling up on healthy food before the holiday
- A perfect birthday at home and my eats
- Top blog posts, reader stats and my food
- A different kind of training and my food
- Joining a healthy green movement and my eats
- Must-try veggie pasta tip and my eats
- Are you eating this sweet and satisfying fruit?
- What a difference a week makes and my eats
- On Wednesdays we look at pictures of food
- Food, drinks and a very hydrating giveaway
- Front-loading all the healthy this week
- MealEnders giveaway and back to healthy food
- Eating, drinking and sharing the pictures
- I don’t like bad people, I do like good food
- Smart training nutrition tips and my meals
- “What I Ate Wednesday” and a Phenoh 7.4 review
- What my daily meals look like in pictures
- Food pictures from a light and healthy day
- Life lately and a look at all of my meals
- What’s normal to you? (And my daily eats)
- A bit of chatter and “What I Ate Wednesday”
- How you eat beets and a look at a day of food
- What I ate yesterday in the Sunshine State
- A full day of lazy eating from the weekend
- Every thing I ate yesterday in pictures
- BlogFest 2015 and “What I Ate Wednesday”
- Why I refuel after a workout and my daily eats
- Random life updates and a look at my food
- Travel plans and everything I ate yesterday
- My daily eats and heading off on an adventure
Questions of the day
How’s your week going so far?
What did you have for breakfast today?
Do you eat meat?