For several months, I’d been toying with the idea of hosting a “get-together” for a bunch of bloggers and was never quite sure how I wanted it to play out. Well, this past weekend I decided to combine my love of blogging and fitness to create a little something called the “Bay Area Blogger Meet and Sweat,” and it was absolutely perfect.
On Saturday mid-afternoon, I invited a group of ladies from San Francisco and the East Bay area to join me for a social hour and short workout at Orangetheory Fitness in downtown Walnut Creek, where I’m a coach.
Bringing together blogging ladies in the East Bay
While most of the ladies I had met at various blogger events in San Francisco before, a few were new to me. It was so nice to finally make face-to-face connections with some new ladies, and we all became fast friends. The attendees included bloggers who focus on fashion, fitness, lifestyle and food and some who do a little bit of everything.
The ladies present included the fabulous Caity, Jill, Cassandra, Sarah, Dani, Hayley, Melissa, Julianne, Daisy, Crystal, Kristen, Brandy and Stacey. And because most blogger events take place in downtown San Francisco, a few of the ladies who live closer to me were super happy to have something to do in our neck of the woods.
When the ladies arrived, they signed a waiver for the workout and also got strapped up with a heart-rate monitor. From there, they grabbed a gift bag full of fun loot and began to mix and mingle. We had the perfectly sized crowd of just about 15 bloggers total, and it’s a good thing there weren’t more people, because two hours just didn’t seem like enough time to hang out and fit in the “sweat” portion of the day.
For the first hour, we took pictures, chatted, exchanged business cards, and then I gave them the download on what to expect from the workout.
Coaching the ladies into the Orange Zone
I took them through about half of a typical Orangetheory class, with about 13 minutes on the treadmill and about 13 minutes on the rower and weight-room floor, with a warm-up and a cool-down and a couple of breaks mixed in, clocking in at around 40 minutes total. It was all but one blogger’s first time trying Orangetheory, and I loved seeing their reactions. They really pushed themselves! And it didn’t hurt that I selected a focus of “power” for the workout, so there was definitely some jumping, sprinting and all-out efforts required of them all.
After the workout, we gave high-fives, posed for some after-photos, enjoyed treats, chatted and went on our merry way. It was such a good time, and as I said, went by far too fast!
These types of blogger meet-ups are super important. I always feel re-energized about the efforts I put into this blog, when I get the chance to share stories with other people who do the same thing as I do.
Of course, our memories will live on, and there was plenty of social media-ing to be done. Check out some of the Instagram posts using our hashtag #BayAreaBloggerMeetandSweat from Caity, Kristen, Jill, Brandy, Hayley, Dani, Daisy, Crystal, Me and Sarah. And check out the blog event recaps from Cassie, Hayley, Caity, Dani and Crystal. Good stuff!
Filling the gift bags with amazing goodies
When planning this event, I reached out to some of my favorite brands to see if they would be interested in providing some treats and gifts for my blogger friends. And not only were they interested, they all went above and beyond. Just check out the line-up …
In the weeks leading up to the event, every time I would get a delivery, I was consistently shocked at how much was sent. We needed bigger gift bags!
- Thank you so much to Fabletics, who provided my outfit, as well as gift bags, special towels, discount cards, journals, pens and lip balm for everyone. As a Fabletics Master, I’m responsible for sharing my love of wellness and fitness in my community, and this event was a perfect way to do that.
- Thank you to Naked Juice, who totally spoiled us with tons of delicious fresh juices and juice smoothies. We had enough for everyone to take a few flavors home with them too.
- Thank you to Vega, for providing a big tub of delicious plant-based vegan Protein & Greens powder and shaker cups for every single lady.
- Thank you to Muscle Milk, for providing 100-calorie protein shakes.
- Thank you to Doughbies, for providing some freshly made cookies, which we devoured after the workout. (Available in San Francisco, you can get $5 off your order using ALADYGOESWEST as your promo code.)
- Thank you to LUNA Bar, for providing tons of tasty gluten-free nutrition bars for everyone to snack on.
- Thanks to Orangetheory Fitness Walnut Creek, for letting me host my event.
- Thank you to my husband, Dave, who not only helped me tote all of the gift bags and treats around downtown Walnut Creek and help me set up, but who also took a bunch of photos during the event. As usual, he was a champ.
And finally, thank you to all the lovely ladies who showed up and worked out. You gals were total rockstars, and I truly enjoyed spending time together.
As I told the group of ladies on Saturday, this is just the first of these “Bay Area Blogger Meet and Sweat” events, because I had so much fun putting it together and hosting it, that I’m definitely going to do another one soon. Until next time …Fitness, new friends + fun. Check out the #BayAreaBloggerMeetandSweat event hosted at #Orangetheory Click To Tweet
Questions of the day
Bloggers, have you ever been to a meet-up?
When is the last time you tried something new?
P.S. If you’re a blogger in Northern California, make sure you leave your email below, so I can let you know when I host another event!