Falling back into good habits this fall
Sometimes we just need to refocus. Collect our thoughts. Get ourselves together and write out a plan. (As well as drink delicious new chia-filled beverages by Naked Juice, which I’ll tell you more about below.)
Because yesterday was the first official day of fall, it seems like the perfect time to be thankful for all of the fun of the summer, but also make sure we’re still on the right track to living well and accomplishing the goals we set out at the beginning of the year. At least that’s the case for me …
The past few months have included more travel for me than ever before. This summer, I had a ton of fun, went to a lot of events and had far too many opportunities to throw my routine to the wind. And it was great, but now it’s time to get back on the ball with good habits.
While I know I lead a pretty healthy life, I’m far from perfect. Throughout all of my summer vacations, which began with a week away over Memorial Day in Florida and continued with trips to Los Angeles, San Diego, Monterey, Maui, Napa and Columbus, I’ve been skipping workouts, eating more junk than usual and indulging far above the 80/20 moderation rule. Sometimes that happens in life, and it’s nothing to be feared, but it doesn’t mean it can go on forever. Now that my last big trip is over, I figured I’d write out how things need to change a bit for me with a refocus …
My goals for a healthy and energy-filled fall season
- Do at least one full hour of yoga each week. For a while, I had been doing shorter 15-20 minute sessions each week at home and noticed my flexibility was definitely decreasing. I need to get back on that full-hour session, even if it means doubling up on workouts for the day. Yoga is good for the mind and body!
- Go to bed at the same time each night, and wake up at the same time each day. Being totally regular with your sleep schedule is the best way to be. However, I’ve found that the nights before days when I don’t have to teach an early class, I tend to stay up watching TV with Dave later than I should. I need to make sure I’m getting my 7-8 hours each night no matter what, because I’ve been feeling a little bit draggy. In bed before 10:30 p.m. is my new rule.
- Have a plan for all of my daily meals. I used to be diligent about having my overnight oats made for breakfast, my snacks packed for my outings and a general idea for everything I was going to eat each day, outside of the weekends of course. That habit has slipped a bit, and I’ve found myself standing hungry in the pantry at meal times, which isn’t always the best idea. Many tubs of trail mix have been finished in that spot in front of the pantry …
- Drink more. Drink more. Drink more. Did you know that a lot of people are walking around dehydrated and they don’t even know it? I know I need more water each day due to the amount I always sweat out, but I never seem to up my intake. Quite frankly, I need more liquids in general. Coconut water, green tea, delicious and healthy Naked Juice products, like the new line of chia juice smoothies, etc. are all great ways to hydrate, energize and get some nutrients too, as long as you don’t overdo the ones with higher calorie counts.
- Move more outside of just my workouts. Yes, I work out most days of the week, but a lot of my time is spent behind a computer seated in a chair, and this is not good. As much as I try to tell myself to get up and walk around, it doesn’t happen as much as it needs to. This fall, when the weather is more moderate, I’m going to commit to at least one long walk (with Rudy, of course) each day, and I know he will like that too.
- Step away from technology. I’m guilty of checking my phone as the last thing I do before I go to sleep and the first thing I do when I wake up. Life is what happens in front of your face, not on your screen, so I know I need to pull back a bit on the social media, and I’m likely not going to miss anything too important. (And if I do, would you please tag me and let me know?)
With these few changes, I’m sure I’ll have my energy levels and overall healthy outlook back in place in no time, which will hopefully help me shake those post-vacation blues. Quite honestly, just writing down my plan of action makes me feel a little bit better. Here’s to a healthy fall! Speaking of healthy …
Introducing the new chia and juice smoothies from Naked Juice
You know I love my Naked Juice, and these tasty products have been there for me in the fridge after several trips away, just when I needed them. As an ambassador for the company, I get to try out the latest and greatest, and I’ve been nothing but impressed with everything that comes from this awesome brand.
Today, I’d like to introduce you to the new line of chia juice smoothies from Naked Juice, featuring tons of nutritious chia seeds, perfect for a healthy fall beverage or snack.
These juices are gluten free, vegan, have no added sugar, nor added preservatives. In fact, all of the sugar included comes from the fruits and veggies in the bottle. Here’s what you need to know …
- Chia Cherry Lime is a great source of potassium, containing 10,000 mg of chia seeds, 10 and 1/3 sweet cherries, 1/5 of a lime, 3 and 2/3 apples, 1/4 of a plum, 114 mg of calcium, 6 grams of fiber, 1029 mg of omega-3 ALA, .68 mg of iron and 2 grams of protein. It’s got a super delicious cherry lime taste, with a nice and thick consistency.
- Chia Sweet Peach is a great source of vitamin A, containing 10,000 mg of chia seeds, 1/2 of a peach, 1/2 of an orange, a 1/6 of a mango, 2 and 3/4 apples, 114 mg of calcium, 8 grams of fiber, .68 mg of iron, 977 mg of omega-3 ALA and 4 grams of protein. It has the best peachy taste and creamy texture. (Dave’s new favorite juice!)
These delicious juices are a great pick-me-up to keep you on track toward your goals this fall, as well as any time of year. Give them a try! That’s that folks, have a wonderful day! I’ll see you back here tomorrow for my weekly “favorites” post.Do you need to hit the reset button to get back on track with your goals this fall? #goals #fall Click To Tweet
**As a Naked Juice Ambassador, please know that this post is sponsored by the brand and I received complimentary products as well as compensation. However, all of the thoughts and opinions are my own. As always, I thank you for supporting my sponsors.
Questions of the day
Do you have any new goals for the fall?
What’s something that you are looking forward to this fall?
I definitely have some of the same fall goals that you do, specifically moving more and drinking more! I always struggle with drinking water and when the temps start falling I’m afraid it’ll be even more of a struggle.
I know, Amy! Maybe get a bigger water bottle and force yourself to drink a bunch every hour? I’m with you on this one!!
Thank you for the reminder that I’m not alone in my recent over-indulging. I’ve been beating myself up about it, which has only made it worse and has caused me to get further off track.
I’m determined to get back into my 80/20 habits. Not only because I want to look good, but because I want to FEEL good. And while eating 3 Publix cookies in one sitting can be quite delicious, it certainly does NOT make me feel good for at least a full 24 hours afterward.
So here’s to Fall and the fresh start it brings!
Hi Courtney! Oh it’s been bad over here … bad. But that’s okay, because it happens! Don’t beat yourself up at all, in fact, be happy you’ve enjoyed so many treats and good times, and know that those treats can still happen, but in smaller quantities for a while heheh, just not overboard every single day. We’re human! And I’d love to get into some Publix cookies … hahah 🙂 Happy Thursday, lady!
Love those flavors (even though they aren’t very fall like, lol). They should make them into sorbets!
The colors are fall-like though!! 🙂 Right?? SO tasty!
i could definitely use all of the above tips to fall into healthy habits..esp the one with working out.
Hi Dixya! Hope you have a great start to fall, lady! 🙂 Get moving!! hehehe
I think fall is a great time to reset and refocus especially with all the comfort foods staring you in the face and the onset of holiday bustle. That chia juice I need to try!
So true, Megan! Time to reset just in time for the holidays heheh and then we do it all again! 🙂 Have a great day, lady!
I do not overindulge because I cannot with my health. I had a horrible summer with terrible events- not one trip and a lot of negativity and now am using fall to regroup and start anew. I do love fall! Have fun walking Rudy!
Hi Lexie, I’m so sorry to hear that this summer was full of bad times for you with your health. Today is a new day, and I hope you can think positive thoughts and feel better very soon, lady. Keep your chin up to happier times ahead! 🙂
These sound great! I love mama chia drinks,so I’ll definitely be checking these out. Love all the new Naked juices! This fall, I’m hoping to start swimming and biking more. I also want to improve my times in the half marathon, so I have a lot of training to do! Fall is going to be a busy season, because there’s so many activities in my area to celebrate the changing seasons. Can’t wait!
Hi Gretchen! I hope you get to swim and bike more too — those are great training activities. And good luck to you on half marathon training as well! Yay for the fall season. Here’s to a great one!! 🙂
Yes, yes, yes!!! Since leaving VA, and moving in with my parents, I have not been as on track as normal. I am starting to not feel as good as I once did. I have to get back on track. I am very much looking forward to seeing my husband again and moving to Japan. Less than 3 weeks now! Thank you for writing this post, I am going to write down my plan now too!
I feel like you will have a very healthy lifestyle in Japan! A lot of walking and light meals heheh! 🙂
I love this list and want to copy all of them, ha! I really need to work on the playing with the phone thing before I go to bed- such a bad habit!
I know, I know. We all do it! But that doesn’t mean it’s right heheh. 🙂 Happy Thursday, Marielle!
I tend to be one of those people who do better with smaller and more frequent meals, so my goal has been to stick to it! So far I’m doing great! I also committed to at least a short walk each day to take my dog out, we have been loving evening walks and he loves them too!
Hi Hilary! Dogs are major helpers when it comes to getting your steps in! Good work! 🙂
I just completed a 30 day nutrition challenge, took two days off and now Im back on it.
I will be adding one hour a day of super high incline , but slow moving, treadmill.
And Oct 1 I start a once a week dance class.
baby steps to add things back into my life for a healthier routine.
The inspiration I get from your blog helps!
Hi Sabrina! Good work on your 30-day challenge!! 🙂 That’s cool you’ll be taking a dance class! Have fun!
I’m really hoping to focus on revamping my eating as well. I’ve caught myself opting to buy lunch out instead of eating my packing meals. I want to stick to my meal plan for the next few weeks and get back into the groove of eating my healthy, homemade meals!
Hi Jamie! I know, once you start buying lunch it becomes easy to do it every day! Good luck getting back on track! Maybe you should purchase a new lunch-box to motivate you to bring? hahah
Funny timing for this post! I’ve recently made a few similar goals for myself. Planning meals better to make sure I’m properly fueled and getting in a lunchtime walk (before it gets too cold) on top of my regular workouts.
Yes! Those extra walks are so important and we often skip them! Good luck sticking to your plan, Catherine! 🙂
Great goals! I too need to get back into some kind of yoga. I’m shooting for restarting piyo after the NYC Marathon. More sleep is also a goal, but going to start that asap.
More sleep!! Go for it, girl! 🙂 And good luck with marathon training.
I think I will need to hit reset on my routine when my new job starts in a few weeks. I’ll be working longer hours than I ever have and for the first time won’t be in school, so being in bed by 10pm to ensure I can wake up at 6am, workout, be at work at 8am, and hopefully be there until 6 but be prepared to stay until 8/9 is manageable. Wow…just writing that makes me a little scared!
Hi Alyssa! Yes, it’s tough when you’re working in a demanding job, but it’s doable. Get those workouts done EARLY, because you’ll probably not have enough energy at the end of the day. You can do it!! Good luck and don’t be scared!! 🙂
I have been pretty good at keeping things on track lately, so I am not making any changes. It hit me a couple months ago so I took action then, but I enjoyed reading. I love Naked juices but I have not been able to find the chia seed ones around here. I actually looked this morning at the store. Thanks
Glad you’re on track, Heather! Keep it up!! 🙂
I notice such a difference when I do yoga regularly, my sleep quality is so much better. Hydration is so important, I just want to walk around filling up everyone’s water glass at work, and say KEEP DRINKING! Who cares if you have to pee more, it’s just more steps!
This fall I really need to stick to a bed time, in bed by 10 so I can fall asleep shortly after, and I’m on the prowl for some new recipes so I don’t get in a rut.
You should think about setting a timer and taking Rudy on short walks around a block or two during the day, that’s what I do the random days I end up working from home. When I’m like I CAN’T SIT ANYMORE, we just go out for a tiny bit. Sunlight & Fresh air = WIN 🙂
Hhahah you fill up other people’s water at work? That’s so awesome! Good work, Jessie. 🙂 And a timer for taking Rudy on walks is a great idea! He would like that too.
I don’t currently fill up other people’s water, but I want to! I want them to drink more water, it would fix so much! 🙂
Oh! Ha! I got so excited about that idea I skipped over the “want to” heheh You SHOULD!
Those drinks look so good! I look forward to the cooler temps (which means cozy sweaters + sweats), the comforting soups + stews, and most of all the holidays! They are the best part.
As for goals, I can ALWAYS use more sleep so that is definitely one of mine too!
Yes, more sleep! Good luck on that, Stef. 🙂
Great job on your list! I could definitely use a little work in some of those areas too, especially the drinking water part 😉 Those juices look delicious!!! Naked juice never disappoints 🙂
Which reminds me… I need to drink more water today! 🙂 hehehe
You have been a traveling fool this year, haha! But yes, I know first hand all of that fun can cause problems with a healthy routine. I’m feeling pretty good about mine right now but there is always room to improve! Like a regular sleeping schedule. That’s one I definitely struggle with!
Drinking juice after my morning workout (a few times a week) is a part of my morning routine and I would love to try Naked Juice’s new chia seed version! They sound so good!
Yes, Sarah! You’d love this juice — the chia seeds add the greatest thickness! And that’s good you’ve got a good routine going right now. I’m looking forward to getting back on mine! 🙂
I also have a goal to drink more water, it is amazing how beneficial it is for all aspects of our health! I’m also looking forward to cooler weather to hopefully do some more outdoor activities like hiking.
I know, Sarah! Water makes EVERYTHING better, yet somehow, we all need more of it heheh 🙂 And more hiking sounds great! I’m with you on that!