Happy Friday, indeed! If you’re in the U.S., you may have today off of work. If that’s the case, good for you! I don’t. In fact, this is just a regular weekend for me. I’m teaching BODYATTACK this morning and two classes at Orangetheory Fitness tomorrow morning. All the while, Dave is enjoying a five-day weekend thanks to the thoughtful ownership of the Golden State Warriors (yes, after winning the title, they deserve it!). But of course, festivities are ahead for us both after the work is done for me.
Our first Fourth of July in the East Bay
We’re getting together with some friends for a pool party at a hotel in the afternoon tomorrow. And we’ve got the after-party scheduled to take place at our house as well. Rudy (our little maltipoo) can’t wait to host for his first time, and he just may be getting a bath tonight to prepare for company. Although we won’t be taking in the amazing fireworks and fun of the City of San Francisco this year like year’s past, we’re going to make the day as festive as possible with some good friends.
But it’s Friday, so let’s get to business. I’m keeping it short and light today, so you can get on with your plans.
My latest “Friday Favorites” from the week
Here’s a look at the things that have been making me happy lately, in no particular order …
My favorite new healthy dessert
Truth be told: I don’t know how or why these were sent to me, because I don’t recall getting an email about it (but I think these may be a delayed delivery from a giveaway I won on another blog months ago), and I love them. Dark chocolate bars with probiotics? Yes, please. I’ve gone through half the box in about a week-and-a-half. I read up a bit on the health-focused company who makes these and found out the products are made in the United States and are all about supporting digestive health.
I’ve always been a fan of dark chocolate, and the rich flavor of these Attune bars is quite delightful. You can break the bars up into little squares or eat them all at once. I’ve gone back-and-forth doing the two, most of the time with some warm soy milk to complement. Looks like they are available at health-food stores, so keep your eyes peeled.
My favorite new duds for cheap
I’m in need of new clothes. The weather in the East Bay is totally different from what we experienced in the City over the past few years. I don’t need all of my leggings, sweaters and boots during the summer like I did there. Right now, I need actual warm-weather clothes. That being said, I never shop and have been in a bind to find something to wear to recent outdoor events. So yesterday, in light of the upcoming holiday, I decided to drop by an ol’ favorite, Old Navy, for some cheapies to fill in the gaps in my wardrobe.
I was in the store for about an hour, tried on about 30 things and came away with a ton, without spending much at all. I loaded up on solid color tanks, which were all on sale for $10 and less. I also got a tunic, some awesome cut-off shorts, a flowery shift dress and my outfit for Fourth of July, consisting of these shorts and this top and … an American flag swimsuit. Awesome deals, that’s for sure. I’m thinking about going back for this romper, but Dave is not a fan of rompers. We call them “girl pleasing,” if you know what I mean. Oh, and I scored a sweet patriotic tank for Dave too. Overall, a successful shopping trip, and you’ll be seeing these items on me throughout the warm months, because I don’t know when I’ll shop again.
My favorite new home-gym set-up
If you missed my post earlier in the week about learning Les Mills choreography, then you also missed out on a chance to see the fancy new Les Mills SMARTBAR that I’ve been using at home. The folks at Les Mills sent it to me for review, and I’m a huge fan.
Next week, I’ll start memorizing all of the new BODYPUMP and BODYATTACK songs that I need to debut and teach for our quarterly launch in the Bay Area, and I’ll be putting this SMARTBAR to use to practice. This is not your average barbell. It’s extra cool, because the weight plates easily slide on and off the bar, and they can be used as dumbbells without the bar as well. Nothing but the best from my friends at Les Mills.
My favorite links of the week
Did you miss out on some of the good stuff on A Lady Goes West this week? Here’s what happened …
- So much fun and fitness — Stories from my weekend and workouts
- Fitness preparation — How to learn Les Mills group fitness releases
- Food pictures and chatter — Random life updates and a look at my food
- Date-night and pizza — How to have the perfect date-night at home
And a fun one. Do you have an iPhone and find yourself talking to Siri? Here is a list of questions you can ask to get a funny response: “14 questions that get snarky replies from Siri.” Dave tried the zero one the other day with me, and it was pretty amusing.
I hope you have a wonderful and festive weekend, my friends. I’ll be checking in on Instagram until we meet again on Monday. Happy Fourth of July to my American brethren!
Read more Friday Favorites
- A snack, a purse and a ritual
- A delivery, a bra and a guy
- A sweet, a wine and a read
- A drink, a gadget and a plan
- A time, a bottle and a powder
- San Francisco edition
- Beauty edition
- Beach vacation edition
- Hidden meanings
- Kicks, a book and a bowl
- The very best sweatshirts
- Party hosting and froyo
- Fourth of July daytime activity
- Beauty basics edition
- Workplace edition
- Shopping, sales and a show
- The foods I always buy
- Sushi, a game and pants
- Fitness apps
- Delicious and healthy products
- Comfort, fitness and function
- Beauty, buddha and blog events
- Dining, the city and gift ideas
- POPSUGAR, sweets and such
- A bunch of fun stuff
- e-book, food, picnic and tunes
- A link, a superfood and a mask
- Pants, shoes, food and links
- Dining, protein and goodies
- Shopping, events and a book
- A gym bag, pumpkin and juices
- Workout gear, a top and a massage
- prAna, a watch, tea and more
- Tasty stuff and gift sales
- Decor, bars, boots and a drink
- Flowers, music and more
- Coqueta, a brush and food
- My people and the holidays
- Beauty, bling and entertainment
- A hodge-podge of goodies
- Just a few special things
- Tasty food, drinks and moving
- A bunch of feel-good stuff
- Home, car and fitness finds
- Sweets, cooking, beauty and blog
- Gold, yoga, photos and more
- Celebs, scents, games and more
- Food, shoes, stretches and fun
- Purse, snack, plant and more
- Fresh, healthy, clean and square
- Pilates, sneaks and much more
- Quite a few good things
- Food, jewels and sweat etc.
- Fun stuff and a giveaway
- Goodies and a yoga giveaway
- Orange, bikes and healthy food
- Food, tech, sparkle and more
- Clothes, home, a roller and more
- Florida, tech, tea and more
- Toiletries, gifts and more
- Fashion, food and a giveaway
- Events, surprises and a puppy
- Good stuff and a giveaway
- Bling, crunch and pet goods
Questions of the day
What are your plans for the Fourth of July, my U.S. friends?
What are you up to this weekend?
Do you have any recent favorites to share?