Hello there, folks. I’m sending you a little Wednesday love, so take it if you need it. As usual, because it’s the middle-of-the-week, we’re going to keep it short and look at some food pictures. But first, I wanted to share my performance summary from yesterday’s Orangetheory Fitness workout.
As you know, I’m a coach at an Orangetheory Fitness in downtown Walnut Creek, and I try to participate in the class once-a-week as well. The best thing about Orangetheory? The workout is different every single day, so it keeps your body guessing. Yesterday’s workout included a mixture of endurance, strength and power exercises, utilizing the treadmill, indoor water-rower, TRX straps and weights. Because all participants wear a heart-rate monitor, you not only get live monitoring of your training zones, but you also get an email with your personal performance results shortly after finishing the class. Here’s what mine looked like …
I spent just the right amount of time in the Orange and Red heart-rate training zones combined. Those zones are what you reach during the intense moments, such as sprint rows and running sprints, and those bouts of activity give your body the “after-burn effect,” so that you continue burning calories at a higher rate after class. Pretty cool stuff. While this was not my highest calorie-burning workout ever at Orangetheory, I did reach my personal best in a sprint on the treadmill. Of course, everyone burns more or less calories depending on your age, weight, and a few other factors, so no two readings will be the same. But it’s sometimes fun to see your graph once the work is complete. Now, from calories out to calories in, let’s get to the food …
This week’s “What I Ate Wednesday” recap
Each week on Wednesdays, I recap a full day of my eating. These posts are nothing more than a chance to look at some real meals. What I eat works for me, and it’s far from perfect. But I sure do love food, so these posts continue to be a regular feature.
Today, I’m sharing everything I ate yesterday. I taught some classes, I worked, I worked out and I ate good food, all of which I prepared at home.
Breakfast at 6 a.m.
What’s that green stuff on my overnight oats you ask? That’s just some veggie powder, which I’ve been throwing into the mix lately for extra greens at breakfast. I added a banana to my oats after taking them out of the fridge in the morning, and I had a mug of hot green tea, sweetened with stevia and soy milk on the side. Never made overnight oats? It’s so easy, and you do not have to cook them at all.
Mid-morning snack at 10:30 a.m.
Because I like to try new products, I picked up some of this dairy-free yogurt from Silk on my most recent grocery shopping trip. While the peach and mango flavor was good, the texture wasn’t as thick as some of the better Greek yogurts out there. I would say it was pretty tasty, but not great. I had the yogurt alongside my second mug of hot green tea of the day, also sweetened with stevia and soy milk.
Lunch at 1:30 p.m.
When I had to pack my lunch every weekday while working as a personal trainer at Equinox, I got into the habit of throwing together a salad. It was an ideal meal, because it didn’t need to be heated up and was easy to transport. However, my salad consumption has gone down quite a bit since I left that role. Well this week, I’m back on the salads. This bowl has baby spinach, purple cabbage, tomatoes, garbanzo beans, tuna and a runny egg, all topped with light balsamic dressing. Quite healthy and yummy.
Afternoon snack at 4 p.m.
What’s that dark red beverage you ask? Oh it’s just some amazing deliciousness, that I plan to tell you about later this week. I had this before my workout, along with a tasty organic trail mix bar by CLIF. Perfect combination of food and drink to pep me up to sprint on the treadmill and go hard on the rower to get my heart-rate into the Orange Zone at Orangetheory Fitness that afternoon.
Post-workout protein at 5:30 p.m.
After I got home from taking a one-hour Orangetheory Fitness class, I quickly pulled out my slightly frozen Vega vanilla protein shake for some recovery. I’m still working my way through a little care package sent by the company, and I love trying their plant-based products. Fun fact: If you hold a protein shake down near Rudy’s face, he runs away. It’s really quite entertaining. He was not pictured in this shot, because he was taking a nap.
Dinner at 8:15 p.m.
I would like the record to show that Dave and I ate dinner just after 8 p.m. this night, which is a big win for us. We had teriyaki-marinated grilled chicken, roasted veggies and some rosemary sage-flavored freekeh. The freekeh by Freekeh Foods, is a new-to-me ancient wheat grain, which I received in my IDEA BlogFest with Sweat Pink gift bag. It has more protein and fiber than brown rice and less calories than quinoa. With a little extra salt to pump it up, I really enjoyed it!
Once dinner was over, I took a few swigs of vanilla soy milk straight from the carton and plopped on the couch with Rudy and Dave. I’ve found myself going to bed much later recently and am hoping that last night was a step in the right direction to hit the hay no later than 10:15 p.m.
By the way, congratulations to Kayla S., the winner of my Grokker streaming service giveaway. Thank you to everyone who entered, and if you didn’t win, you can still sign up for a free month of Grokker premium access to workouts and videos using the code LOVEGROKKER until August 9.
I’ve got another giveaway coming at you in this week’s “Friday Favorites,” so don’t miss out! Go off and have a great day, my friends!
Read more daily eating recaps
Each week, “What I Ate Wednesday” is hosted by Peas and Crayons for bloggers to showcase their eats to the world. If you want to see more food recaps, check out some of my posts from the past here:
- A full day of eating in pictures
- Another full day of my eats and drinks
- Real food isn’t always pretty
- Do you have a balanced dining out strategy?
- What I ate and drank all day
- Three meals, two snacks and a shake
- Food trucks and rest-day eating
- Plenty of protein at every meal
- Colorful fuel for a day of training
- Long days of training require a lot of food
- Making do on “What I Ate Wednesday”
- Healthy foods for a rest day
- Who doesn’t like pictures of food?
- A look at a full day of eating in pictures
- Snapshots from a day of delicious meals
- Pictures of food, because you like them
- Food pictures and the juice cleanse that wasn’t
- A look at what I really eat in a day
- What I ate in the Sunshine State
- My weekend eats and a little narrative
- Stories about food and yesterday’s meals
- A day of eating and some commentary
- Do you want to know what I ate yesterday?
- Healthy challenges and foods from my day
- Eating, napping and eating again
- Filling up on healthy food before the holiday
- A perfect birthday at home and my eats
- Top blog posts, reader stats and my food
- A different kind of training and my food
- Joining a healthy green movement and my eats
- Must-try veggie pasta tip and my eats
- Are you eating this sweet and satisfying fruit?
- What a difference a week makes and my eats
- On Wednesdays we look at pictures of food
- Food, drinks and a very hydrating giveaway
- Front-loading all the healthy this week
- MealEnders giveaway and back to healthy food
- Eating, drinking and sharing the pictures
- I don’t like bad people, I do like good food
- Smart training nutrition tips and my meals
- “What I Ate Wednesday” and a Phenoh 7.4 review
- What my daily meals look like in pictures
- Food pictures from a light and healthy day
- Life lately and a look at all of my meals
- What’s normal to you? (And my daily eats)
- A bit of chatter and “What I Ate Wednesday”
- How you eat beets and a look at a day of food
- What I ate yesterday in the Sunshine State
- A full day of lazy eating from the weekend
- Every thing I ate yesterday in pictures
- BlogFest 2015 and “What I Ate Wednesday”
- Why I refuel after a workout and my daily eats
- Random life updates and a look at my food
- Travel plans and everything I ate yesterday
- My daily eats and heading off on an adventure
- All of my meals from a healthy weekday
- Just a little chatting and some food pictures
Questions of the day
What time do you go to bed each night?
What’s the best thing you’ve eaten lately?
Do you have a favorite salad topper?