What a typical weekday looks like for me right now

Hiya, friends! How are you? Did you have a nice weekend? Dave was out of town with some friends for a birthday celebration, so it was just Brady, Rudy and me for much of it. 

And for the topic of the day: One of the most frequent blog post requests that I get is to share a “day in the life” post. I haven’t done one in a long time, so I thought I’d go ahead and give you the tiny details on how the weekdays work in our little house lately with an almost 19-month-old toddler.

What a typical weekday looks like for me right now

Ashley and Brady at the library by A Lady Goes West - April 2019

Morning routine

7 a.m. — Wake up. I don’t set an alarm, because Dave gets up before me, and I always wake up on my own while he is getting ready. As of the last month, I’ve been getting up, going to the bathroom, scraping my tongue, chugging water and heading to the family room to sit on the couch and do a 10-minute meditation from Headspace to start the day (with Rudy in my lap). It’s hard to not think about all the things I need to do and get started on them right away, but I’m learning to be in the moment a bit more with every meditation that I do. I’ll share my thoughts once I have something valuable to say on the whole meditation thing, but right now, it’s not much. And by the way, part of me wants to get up a bit earlier to fit in a little work, but I need my sleep too much to make that change. One day.

7:30 a.m. — Brady’s up. Brady usually wakes up around 7 a.m. and then plays in his crib chatting with himself for about half an hour before we get him out. If Dave is home, he is always the one to go get Brady, change his diaper and take him out of his sleep suit. Then, Brady comes to find me with his crazy bed-head hair and is usually already asking for his “baba.”

7:45 a.m. — Bottle for Brady. Brady drinks a big “baba” of organic whole milk after he wakes up, and I usually give that to him on the couch, and we say goodbye to Dave as he heads off to work. Once Brady’s done with his bottle, I put him in a big pack n’ play in the family room, where he has a lot of toys and he hangs out in there for like 20 minutes. Sometimes he fusses a bit, but most of the time, he’s happy to play with his toys, especially if I read him one of his favorite books while he’s in there.

8 a.m. Breakfast for me. I usually have my tea kettle brewing while I’m giving Brady the bottle. Then, I make my tea (green tea, coconut milk, cinnamon, collagen creamer, stevia and a drop of local honey) and prepare my breakfast, which is usually overnight oats already waiting for me in the fridge, or sometimes just a big banana covered in almond butter, chia seeds and pumpkin seeds. I eat breakfast on the floor in front of the coffee table, with Brady in his pack n’ play next to me playing — real ideal set-up. During breakfast, I open my computer and check my emails and notifications that came in overnight. And if I’ve written a new blog post that went live overnight, I’ll promote that post on Facebook, Twitter and Pinterest, answer comments and then close up the computer.

Oatmeal breakfast by A Lady Goes West -- January 2019

8:30 a.m. — Get ready. Brady is usually ready to hop out of the pack n’ play at this point, so I pull him out and let him run around while I clean up the dishes in the kitchen and get the gym bag packed. He touches basically everything in sight, so I can’t leave him unattended, but he’s good about following me into the rooms where I am doing stuff and playing in there. I get dressed in gym clothes, give him a banana to nibble on, change his diaper, get him dressed, and we’re on our way.

Gym and morning outing

9:30 a.m.Gym time. Most days of the week, we’re heading to the gym around 9:30 a.m. or a bit earlier. I teach group fitness classes on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday later in the day, but we almost always go to the gym for a short workout session every morning to keep our routine consistent, other than Thursday (when I teach at noon and we wait to go until then). When we get to the gym, I drop Brady off in the gym daycare and get to work — on Mondays, I take BODYPUMP; on Tuesdays, I take CXWORX then go back in the afternoon to teach BODYATTACK; on Wednesdays I practice whatever I need to go over for my classes, then I go back in the afternoon to teach barre; on Thursdays, I teach barre at noon only; and on Fridays, I usually do a weights workout on my own and then practice BODYATTACK. It sounds like a lot, but my barre workouts and practice sessions are super gentle on the body, and I’m always sure to have a full rest day each week too, and sometimes we switch up the morning workout for a walk with friends. It works out well for us, because I get my workouts, practicing and teaching done while Brady plays in gym daycare, and he likes it there.

Ashley working out A Lady Goes West --- April 2019

11 a.m. — Errands or play time. After I’ve finished my workout or classes, we usually try to fit in a morning errand or activity. We either swing through Sprouts or Whole Foods, drop by the post office to mail a package, or we head to story time at the library for a fun play session for Brady. Story time is my favorite mid-morning outing, because Brady is so darn snuggly and cute when we’re there, and he loves it.

Ashley and Brady at the library by A Lady Goes West --- March 2019

Mid-day work blitz at home

12:30 p.m. — Home, snack and organize. I try to be home no later than 12:30 p.m. from the morning session of outings, so I can give Brady a little snack (I get a snack too — usually a Larabar or other small item), heat up his nap-time bottle and put away groceries or whatever else we collected on our outings. I almost always have laundry to transfer or fold during this time too (sooo much laundry ahhhhh). And sometimes, I’ll pop him in his high chair and bring him down to the bathroom so I can shower while he’s eating. But sometimes, the shower waits. 🙂 

1 p.m. — Nap time. Brady goes down for his nap at 1 p.m. every day of the week, except for Thursdays, when he starts his nap at 1:30 p.m., because we get home a bit later from my noon barre class. To get him ready for his nap, I change his diaper, give him a warm bottle of milk and then rock him a bit before dropping him in his crib. And crossing my fingers and knocking on wood here, but he almost ALWAYS sleeps at least 90 minutes, sometimes two-and-a-half hours, and I rely on this time so much.

Healthy Human cruiser by A Lady Goes West -- December 2018

1:15 p.m. — Work time. Once Brady is napping, I’ll quickly make my lunch. I’ve been on a bowl kick lately, so I’ll heat up brown rice, saute spinach, fry some eggs and mix it all together. Then, I sit down on the couch and eat lunch while checking my emails and figuring out what it is I need to get done during nap time. Although I’d love to eat my meals in silence staring out into nature, right now, I can’t waste any time, so I eat and get to work. During nap times, I either write blog posts for A Lady Goes West, write fitness articles for the monthly freelance client that I have, check in with Beautycounter clients or answer questions and plan for upcoming blog projects. The time goes by SO quickly when Brady is napping, and I always have a few things left that I wanted to do when he wakes up — so I get to those in the evening. On good days, I move to my home office to work at my desk after eating, but regretfully, I often stay on the couch — which isn’t the most ergonomic position, and I wouldn’t emulate that if I were you.

3:15 p.m. — Brady snack. Very rarely, I’ll have to go in and get Brady up from his nap on days we have class, but he usually wakes up on his own. I change his diaper, chat with him, sometimes read him a story, then take him out to the kitchen for a snack. He usually has a pouch and yogurt for a snack.

Afternoon outing, class or play time

4 p.m. — Outing or class time. We usually head out for one afternoon outing after Brady is up from his nap. On Tuesdays and Wednesdays, our outing is the gym, because I teach classes. But on the other days, our outing is usually whatever errand we didn’t finish earlier. Sometimes we meet a friend for an afternoon walk, sometimes we go on a walk on our own. And sometimes, we just hang out at home playing in the playroom together. It really depends how we’re feeling.

Brady at the grocery store by A Lady Goes West - May 2019

Evening routine

6 p.m. — Everybody’s home (hopefully). We get home from the gym or outings around 6 p.m. most nights, and we’re lucky that Dave is able to make it home by 6 p.m. too, unless he’s traveling or there’s a home Warriors game (which is often with a long basketball season, unfortunately). Once Dave gets home, we go on a short family walk around the neighborhood with Rudy, or we all play together in the play room. Then it’s time to start the evening routine.

Dave and Brady walking by A Lady Goes West - May 2019

6:30 p.m. — Brady’s dinner and night-time routine. Brady gets dinner in his high chair starting at 6:30 p.m., and we sit with him in the kitchen while he eats. If Dave is home, he gives Brady dinner and does the entire night-time routine. But if Dave isn’t home, it’s all me. For dinner, Brady usually has sweet potatoes, veggie burgers, black beans, yogurt or other (very similar to what we eat for dinner too, you can see more about our food here). Once he’s done eating, he gets a bath, we put him in his jammies, read him a couple of stories, then give him his third and last “baba” of the day before he falls asleep. He’s usually asleep in his crib no later than 7:15 p.m. each night, looking as cute as can be with his knees tucked in and his butt in the air.

Brady eating and life lessons I'm learning from my toddler by A Lady Goes West -- March 2019

7:15 p.m. — Clean up and work time. After Brady is asleep, I clean up all his dinner stuff, shower, change into my pajamas, do a face mask or put on my overnight peel and usually spend at least another hour working on the computer to finish up projects from the day. I usually also hop onto Instagram to post and engage around this time too, which is not ideal. I’d like to get to it earlier in the day, but once again — I don’t do that right now. 

Ashley doing face mask by A Lady Goes West - May 2019

8:30 p.m. — Dinner and couch time. Dave and I keep saying we want to eat earlier, but by the time we finish all the things we have to do at the end of the day, we’re eating around 8:30 p.m. at the coffee table with the TV on #TRUTH. During this time, we catch up from our days, eat, clean up and then watch a show lying down on the couch with Rudy. Right now, we’re rewatching the “Mad Men” series, and it’s just as good the second time around. We also watch “The Voice” when we can too, but are a little behind on this season. This time is my favorite of the day, because I finally feel like I can chill. And during this time, I put my phone away and don’t go back to it until the morning. I used to put in airplane mode and need to get back to that practice. Anyone else?

10 p.m. — Bed time. Around 10 p.m., Dave, Rudy and I head to bed, and I usually read for about 15 minutes or so before putting on my slumber mask and turning off the light. I never have trouble falling asleep and am always ready for snooze-ville. I recently bought this silk pillow case, and boy does my head love to hit that pillow each night. Sleep is life.

So there you have it. And then, we do it all again the next day! 🙂 

To be honest, the days go by really quickly right now, even though I have Brady with me all day. With the day broken up into morning, mid-day and afternoon segments, it seems like we’re always quickly moving on from one thing to the next, with a little bit of play built in too. I can’t believe it’s been almost 19 months that I’ve been his full-time care-taker. Wow!

Speaking of Brady, I have him signed up for a very short tiny tot summer camp and am still on the waiting lists for a couple of preschools for the fall too, so I know that the routine will change in the coming months, but right now, it’s working well for us. Hope you enjoyed this peek into our daily lives!

A few more posts you may like …

Questions of the day

What’s a day in the life like for you?

What is your favorite part of each day?

Do you work out in the morning or afternoon?



    1. Thank you, my friend! It’s fun to see what other people are up to. 🙂 Quite different from my old schedule of teaching or training all day or sitting behind a desk at a job. I like this schedule better – although my current boss is tough. Hope you had a great weekend, lady! Happy Monday!

  1. Our routine is similar, I think if you’re working from home with a toddler nap time is always SO precious! We do a morning walk, then a morning activity (library, music class, play group, or speech therapy for Z), lunch and naptime, and in the afternoons another walk and trip to the playground with friends now that it’s nice out. And I use naptime for writing. It’s nice that all the activities for toddlers are scheduled around that 1-3pm nap. When Z was a littler baby, we couldn’t do as much because lots of activities fell during nap since they all nap at different times!

    1. Hi Alyssa! It’s nice to have the day sectioned off in pre-nap and post-nap hahah. Yes, it was definitely harder when Brady was doing two naps — we were trapped at home for sure. Sounds like your routine is a good one! Enjoy that walk today!

  2. Hi Ashley. What a busy day. Hope Dave reads this. He won’t believe what your day entails. He probably is glad he has an office job to go to. I have always been an early morning person. Even when I was teaching. I get to the gym at 5 am to get a run in and a spin class. Home for light breakfast then back for lifting session. Sometimes throw in another spin class. Been following the NBA playoffs. The Curry parents have had a time with their two sons playing.

    1. Hi Richard! hehehe I will have to check with Dave when he gets home to see if he read this post — I bet he did! 🙂 I definitely think having an office job is easier than momming. I used to be an early riser before Brady — I’m sure I’ll get back to that one day. Go Warriors!!

  3. Haha our evening hours and dinner on the couch are so similar! I feel you on the dinner + TV thing – we do it too – it feels necessary to just decompress after all the toddler time!

    1. Hi Jamie! Yes, the evening decompress is necessary — and that one show a night is the only time I watch TV, so I don’t feel bad about it heheh. Happy momming to you, lady! 🙂

  4. I read this and I instantly want my children to be little again when life was simple. I won’t scare you with what life with 9 and 12 year olds looks like. Enjoy it, it goes by so fast (cliche, but totally true!)

    1. Hi Renee! Ohhhh thank you for this! I know this is a really special time, even if he is so much work haaha. I can’t imagine life with a school-aged kid! I guess I’ll find out one day. Thanks for saying hi, friend! 🙂

    1. Hi Lauren. Brady doesn’t get an official “lunch” right now, because the first part of his day includes 2-3 “snacks” or mini meals, so he’s never hungry for anything else big before his nap. I’m sure he’ll eat more of a “lunch” meal when he gets a bit bigger and wants more food.

  5. Such a busy day! Since I work a regular 8-5 job I typically work out in the evenings, but my goal for the summer is to switch to early morning workouts! Also trying to force myself to do my own workout after teaching barre in the evenings… 🙂

    So cool seeing how you break up your day! It seems like you have a good routine going! No kids for me yet but I hope to have a more flexible schedule when the time comes!

    1. Hi Dominique — it’s SUCH a hard transition to get into the early morning workout groove — but after 3 weeks or so, you will LOVE it (hopefully). Be prepared to get a bit tired in the afternoons at first. I loved my early morning workouts back in the day! 🙂

  6. This was great! I love how you’ve broken up the day with post-nap and pre-nap. You are a busy woman. I was wondering how you have baby proofed that beautiful house of yours…but maybe the pack n play is key?
    My LO is 7 months old and still can only make it 2 hours without a nap. I look forward to when we can get out and do more things. And it’s my dream to find a gym he would love daycare! Right now he doesn’t want to be out of my sight, but I hope that changes.

    1. Hi India! We have all of the outlets babyproofed, some soft-edge pads on the corners of our entertainment center and a couple of cabinets locked (the one under the sink), but other than that — not babyproofed. He often touches things he shouldn’t hhah — gotta keep my eyes on him at all times. And YES, I hope you find a good gym daycare situation one day soon too!! 🙂

  7. Sounds similar to ours! Some days the morning drags but most days fly by. Though I will say the time waiting for dad to get home does drag, haha! Just curious, why doesn’t he eat breakfast and lunch?

    1. Hi Heather! Brady eats a lot of small meals during the morning between waking up and his nap, so I don’t officially call any of them “breakfast or lunch” but they sort’ve are split up in mini breakfasts and lunches. I’m sure he’ll eat a more official lunch once he gets a bit older and eats more food! 🙂

  8. I love reading these types of posts! It’s fun to vicariously live through someone else’s day for a brief moment. I work during the week, but our weekends have somewhat of a routine to them, usually centered around meals and nap time- we cannot ever miss nap time! Which makes it hard for meeting up with friends for lunch. I know these days will pass quickly enough, so I try to savor it and appreciate that I can spend time with my daughter. The favorite part of my day is seeing her first thing in the morning or first thing after work. It makes all the bad or negative go away, seeing her face light up! I’ve been trying to work out after work 2-3 times a week, and then in the mornings on the weekends. That is still a work in progress. Thanks for sharing your life with us!!

    1. Hi Morgan! I know what you mean about their little faces just lighting up your life — even a couple hours away from Brady and I’m excited to see him again. We sometimes doing 11:45 a.m. early lunches out with Brady on the weekend, and that works out okay, but most of the time — lunch is at home while he naps. 🙂 Oh well!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.