A mid-year blog and goals check-in for 2015
Hi, friends! It’s mid-year check-in time! I don’t know how it possibly happened so quickly, but we’re already a few days into the six month of the year. Quite a bit has happened this year. So today, I’m taking a look at the highlights thus far in my life and on A Lady Goes West in 2015, as well as looking back at how I’m tracking on those goals I set at the beginning of the year.
And of course, one of the many reasons I love blogging is because it serves as a lasting documentation of my life and happenings. Without this blog, I wouldn’t have a lot of great opportunities that I have enjoyed over the past year or so, nor would I have the pictures and stories to look back on whenever I want. So here we go …
A Lady Goes West mid-year check-in for 2015
Blog highlights in the first half of 2015
- Wrote 110 posts between January 1 and today, June 4, posting every single weekday on Monday through Friday.
- Worked on some great fitness campaigns with ASICS, Actio926 and PUMA.
- Debuted a new blog logo, new email delivery system, new business cards and new headshots, as well as built out a quickly expanding Press page.
- Collaborated with brands including Blue Apron, Centrum, SunSweet, Evolution Fresh, Wendy’s, belVita, Adaptogen, HostGator, UnitedHealthcare, Coco Libre, Gigabody, MealEnders, Phenoh 7.4, Tom’s of Maine, CanvasPop, Ricola, Naked Juice, Les Mills and many more.
- Shared my story on “How I turned my blog into a business.”
- Became a Naked Juice ambassador.
- Became a Ricola ambassador.
- Tried both Stitch Fix and Rocksbox fashion subscription services and talked about my experiences. (I continue to enjoy my Rocksbox jewels and you can too if you sign up for your first free month using aladygoeswestxoxo as your code!)
- Changed things up to talk about popular grammar mistakes people make, which I absolutely loved writing. (And yes, a follow-up to this post is on the way for you fellow word-nerds out there.)
- Wrote and helped promote a few freelance pieces for the Wine Sisterhood blog.
- Created this super fun “Get-to-know-me-better survey,” which quite a few other bloggers filled out on their own blogs too.
- Shared my daily eats every single Wednesday, my recent favorites every single Friday and my weekly workout recap every single Monday, with randomly selected thoughts and content in between.
Life highlights in the first half of 2015
- Packed up our tiny city apartment in Nob Hill and moved to the East Bay, just outside of San Francisco in February. (This was huge deal and a change that I’m really enjoying.)
- Got situated in our new house, purchased new furniture, I got a car and we held a housewarming party with all of our friends.
- Went to a Guster concert at The Fillmore in the City, went to a country concert at Levi’s Stadium, were invited to enjoy two VIP wine tasting experiences in Napa, attended a fun fashion event and did a wine and canvas painting night in Walnut Creek and more.
- Traveled to Key West for a dear friend’s bachelorette party in March and had an awesome time.
- Bought bikes, went on some picnics, explored our new neighborhood and were welcomed into a new group of friends who live nearby us for some frequent casual house-party gatherings.
- Marked three years of marriage!
- Visited Florida to be a bridesmaid in a dear friend’s wedding in May and got plenty of sunshine and time with my wonderful family.
Fitness highlights in the first half of 2015
- Tried a week of CorePower yoga and enjoyed sweating in downward dog with weights for the first time.
- Designed and shared a few workouts, a post on how to foam roll and fitness tips.
- Went to a yoga conference, tried a CORE40 class taught by a friend from Florida and gave VINT fitness a try for a month.
- Began teaching Les Mills group fitness classes at some big and new 24 Hour Fitness gyms in the East Bay. (Even though I was sad to leave my gyms in downtown San Francisco, I’m loving the energy of the folks in my current classes.)
- Was invited to become a Fabletics Master and announced it here on the blog.
- Learned some nutrition training tips at a Team LUNA Chix Summit.
- Became an Orangetheory Fitness coach at a brand new Orangetheory Fitness in Walnut Creek and starting teaching about 10 classes a week.
- Attended the amazing Les Mills Super Q event in the Bay Area and took six group fitness classes in one day alongside some fellow instructors and a blog reader.
- Learned, launched and reviewed BODYPUMP 92, BODYPUMP 93, BODYATTACK 87 and BODYATTACK 88 group fitness classes.
- Started teaching a weekly freestyle core class, which I program myself.
- Continued to strive for six workouts-a-week, one session of yoga and a full rest day, all of which I document each Monday in my “weekly workout” recaps.
That covers the big stuff. I’d say it’s been a good year so far, with a lot more in store for the second half. And now for a look at my goals from 2015 …
My mid-year goals check-in for 2015
Goal 1: Food. Add more variety. Create, cook or try out at least one new recipe a month.
I’m doing pretty good on this one, with the help of Dave. We’ve definitely improved our variety for dinners now that we have a bigger kitchen and a grill in our new place.
Goal 2: Work. Fitness diversification. Learn to teach a new group fitness program or add another fitness certification.
Done! I attended a training boot camp, auditioned and was selected to join Orangetheory Fitness as a coach, which has been a great learning experience.
Goal 3: My own fitness and well-being. Become more flexible and do yoga at least once-a-week.
On it! I think I have only missed one week of yoga so far this year. Although I haven’t been attending full yoga classes, I have been doing short sessions at home a couple of times-a-week. It feels great, and believe it or not, I look forward to doing it.
Goal 4: Patience and kindness. Go easier on myself and on everyone around me by being more patient and empathetic in all situations.
Well, this has not been very easy for me. While I’m doing a good job at going easier on others, not so much for myself. Every single day I know there are things I could do better or differently, but as everyone else, I’m a work in progress!
Things are on track, but there’s always more to do, and I’m ready to see what’s next for the rest of this year.
I’m linking up with Amanda today, to share my thoughts on 2015 and how things have been going. And I’d love to hear from you too in the comments below. Have a wonderful Thursday, people! See you back here tomorrow for “Friday Favorites.”
Questions of the day
What’s one highlight from your first half of 2015?
What’s something you’re looking forward to in the second half of 2015?
What’s one goal that you’ve been working on this year?
You’ve done a great job! So much to be proud of here. I can’t wait to see what the next few months bless you with!
Thank you so much, Megan! Right back at ya! Have a lovely day! 🙂
Seems like you are doing an awesome job with your 2015 goals (that #4 definitely is my toughest one too). I’m so happy for you and all you’ve accomplished by taking that leap a while ago!
And YAY for a follow-up to the grammar post! Can’t wait for that one!
Thank you so much, Courtney! As you know, I sooo appreciate your friendship and readership, and love that you’re into all the same healthy living and fitness things as me! 🙂 Have a WONDERFUL Thursday!
I love looking back on the year and seeing all that happened! I also like to keep track of my goals and dedicate a post every month to seeing how they go.
A highlight from this year is definitely my trip to Europe! It was such an amazing time and I don’t think anything can top that 🙂
I have a lot of races coming up the rest of the year which I’m looking forward to! Also finalizing my wedding and setting the date would be a big deal!
I know you do that monthly check-in, Gretchen, and I love that! Your goals are so nice and diverse, so keep it up! And a Europe trip would be a highlight for me too — sadly — I didn’t get to take on ehhee. Good luck with your races, girlfriend!
Wow, you’ve done a ton! Congrats!! This reminds me I need to do a goal check in post… I can’t even remember what I set for myself in January!
Hi Bri! I know, it’s so good to revisit what you were thinking at the beginning of the year to see if it makes sense still. You should totally do it! Happy Thursday!! 🙂
Congrats on a great 6 months and staying so well focused on your goals! I have to look again at mine from January because I only remember a few now that we are half way through the year. Time flies!
Hi Lauren! Thank you so much! That’s the great thing about being a blogger — just look back at what you wrote heheh! And yes, time sure does fly. Enjoy your Thursday! )
I just got really freaked out by the thought that we are seriously halfway through 2015. What?? How did that happen?
Hi Stacie, I know! Where does the time go?? 🙂 At least you spend plenty of it traveling! That’s a great way to see time go by quickly. Happy Thursday!
Congrats on all your accomplishments! I really like your goal of focusing on your fitness and well-being. As an instructor I think it can be hard to shift the focus back to ourselves but youve inspired me to add the same goal to my list for the 2nd half of the year!
Oh thanks, Samantha! We have to worry about how tired and run down we get teaching so many classes, so I try to take that rest day and get in one of my own workouts. You should too!! Have a fabulous Thursday, lady! 🙂
What an awesome year for you so far, Ashley! I honestly can’t believe that we’re already halfway through 2015, and I hope that the next 6 months will be even more awesome for you 🙂 Some of my biggest goals this year were to improve my running and work on growing my health coaching business, and both have been going pretty well so I”m definitely pleased with myself!
Hi Amanda! I know your business is booming, and that’s so awesome! I’ve LOVED connecting with you over the past few months through this blogging world! Cheers to you and your efforts!! 🙂
Love this post! It was awesome (and I was envious) to see all the things you have accomplished all year. Love reading your blog and what you are up to, looking forward to seeing how you tackle the second half of 2105!
Ohhh thank you so much, Rachel! I really appreciate it! Keep up the great work at MUO as well! 🙂 Happy Thursday!
This is such a great idea for a blog post! Love it! You have been busy, busy, busy this year so far, can’t wait to see what you accomplish by December! I’m about to read your post on how you turned it into a business right now 🙂
Thank you, Sarah!! I appreciate it. And yes, it’s been busy, but good! Have a lovely Thursday! 🙂
It’s soooo motivating to read about your minor and major successes 🙂
Best part of my year was when I could start saving for my futre 🙂
I hope I can by a flat in the second half of the year. I’m not sure, I will do that because I would need a loan for that but I think I will do that. But not sure. I’m a bit uncertain, am I not? 😀
My biggest goal I’m working on this year is to be able to start a course I really-really want.
Hi there! How awesome that you’re going to be taking a new course and potentially buying a place. Good luck with that! And I appreciate your kind words. 🙂 Have a lovely day!
Sounds like you’re doing a great job with everything so far! Keep it up sister! And wow – what a full and exciting year you’ve had so far!! Cheers to the second half of 2015!
Thanks, Ash! I appreciate it! Cheers to big things for you and your new little one in 2015!! 🙂
Wow! You have accomplished so much these first 6 months of 2015, congrats!!! I’m so impressed with everything- blogging and life are hard to juggle and you make it look easy 🙂
Hahha oh thanks, Annmarie! I like to be busy, which I’m sure you do too! Have a fabulous Thursday in your lovely new dress heheh! 🙂
It is awesome how motivated you are! Congrats on all our your accomplishments!
I am almost done with PT and hope to take BODYFLOW instructor training in September.
Hi Heather! Nice work! That’s so awesome you’re considering BODYFLOW. I’d love to do that, but I think I need to hold tight on any more classes and programs at this point. Keep up the great work, lady! 🙂
Ashley you look fantastic in that teal/light blue blouse featured in the first picture! I missed out on your grammar post the first time around, and I am off to go check it out now. I am an English major so I get really into articles of that subject. 🙂
Hi Julia! Oh thanks for the kind words. I love that top, and it was a cheapy from Nordstrom Rack! 🙂 Hope you enjoyed the grammar post!
I can’t believe how fast this year has flown by!!
Ditto, Brittany! We better stop and smell the roses before 2016! 🙂
You’ve done SO much in the last six months! I think the best bit of the past six months for me has been my move- so much space! I love it!
Good for you, Carla! Love that you’re catching up on A Lady Goes West today hehehe!