Is it really possible that next week is Christmas (and my birthday) and we’re almost done with the year? I guess it is. This year will go down as the strangest, and there’s even more to come before we truly close it out. Farewell, 2020!
Anywho, this past week was another busy one over here with workouts, virtual classes, blog work, shipping out some gifts to Beautycounter friends and team members, and it was also Brady’s last week of school for the year. By the way, we don’t have any big plans for Christmas this year, clearly, so it’ll just be the four of us (yes, I always include Rudy in the count). And FYI: We’ll be taking next Friday off from a “current faves” post in observance of the holiday.
This past week also had some bad news — I was officially laid off from 24 Hour Fitness after more than eight years of service, including a full year in the corporate office as a writer/editor. (Done via a mass email … so that was cool.) While I made it through the initial round of group fitness instructor layoffs in the summer, because gyms are still not back to regular business, 24 Hour Fitness had to lay off a ton of more people, and I was included in that group. This means I don’t have a gym anymore at all. Wow. But, I guess it was bound to happen. At least I’ve got my virtual classes on Motus, a Peloton bike and hope for the future. Still, in typical 2020 fashion, it stings a little.
Let’s go ahead and get into the faves for today …
“Open Book” by Jessica Simpson
Too bad I just wrote this post about the best books I read this year, because Jessica Simpson’s “Open Book” certainly deserves a spot in a book recommendations post. (I’ll be sure to include it in the next one.) It was so captivating. Every time I opened it to read, I read for at least an hour, sometimes more, staying up way past my bed-time on multiple occasions, getting through it in just a few days. It was just so HONEST!
We don’t really hear too much about Jessica Simpson these days, because she doesn’t perform any longer. But she does run a billionaire-dollar fashion brand, and apparently she’s got a new Amazon show in the works too. Nonetheless, I used to be a huge Jessica Simpson fan, especially when she was on “The Newlyweds” show on MTV with then-husband Nick Lachey. It was one of the first real reality shows, and I ate it up. Did you?
(“Open Book” by Jessica Simpson.)
“Open Book” is all about Simpson’s life, and she pulls from journals that she’s kept her whole life too. And boy does she put it all out there, talking about abuse, alcoholism, lying, drama, divorce, dating other celebrities, Hollywood, plastic surgery and everything in between. And I’m pretty sure she wrote the book herself, which I always appreciate from celebrities (as they often have a ghost writer). I just floated through the words on the pages, consuming it so quickly. It was completely enjoyable. And like I said, just so honest.
If you have any interest in a celebrity autobiography, this one is worthy. Highly recommend!
Trader Joe’s pepita salsa
I feel like I talk about Trader Joe’s pepita salsa all the time, but I don’t actually think it’s made a current faves post as a standalone. That needed to change. I’m obsessed with this salsa. In fact, I tell everyone about TJ’s pepita salsa, and I go to Trader Joe’s specifically to pick up a few jars.
It’s got a little bit of a kick, pretty good ingredients and the best flavor and texture. I ran out last week and tried several other kinds of salsa from another grocery store. I literally couldn’t wait to get back to this one. If you have a Trader Joe’s near you, I highly suggest you pick this up and give it a try for all your flavoring needs. I add it to veggie burgers, rice, veggies and more. Mmmm.
New client deal is up to 20 percent off with this Beautycounter promo code
You’re probably done with your holiday shopping, so now it’s back to YOU! If you’re ready to clean up your skincare or makeup routine, Beautycounter is making it easy for you with a 20 percent off deal for brand-new first-time shoppers now through December 27. A few sets and other items are excluded, but you can still get totally set up with some new products at a discount.
Use the code CLEANFORALL20 at check-out and make sure “Ashley Pitt” is selected as your consultant so I can follow up with you and make sure everything works out well. If you need help, fill out this skincare survey or send me an email or DM. Happy to assist! 🙂
Here’s a look at my workouts from last week …
- Monday: 30-minute full-body weights, 6 p.m.
- Tuesday: Taught 45-minute barre, 12 p.m., 20-minute cycle, 6 p.m.
- Wednesday: 45-minute full-body weights, 8:45 a.m., 10-minute yoga, 6 p.m.
- Thursday: Taught 45-minute barre, 12 p.m.
- Friday: 30-minute upper-body weights, 10 a.m.
- Saturday: 20-minute cycle, 20-minute lower-body weights, 10 a.m.
- Sunday: Rest day
This past week, once again, nearly every single workout took place in my bare feet in my living room. I really hope to get back to a gym one day in 2021. But for now, I’m doing my best with workouts that are efficient and feel good on the body. I didn’t do my beloved Les Mills BODYPUMP via Les Mills On Demand this past week, which has been a weekly staple for me, so I’ll get back to it next week. But I did pick up weights four times, and that’s a win.
A few A Lady Goes West recommended products
You guys know I only share what I love, so here are some of the brands I recommend …
- Fit Revolution. Get a 7-day trial to this amazing workout platform and take my classes.
- Carbon38. The coolest activewear around. Get 15 percent off your first two orders of $100 or more using the code ASHLEYPITT.
- G2G protein bars. I love these tasty and clean protein bars. You can get 15 percent off your order on the G2G Bar site with the code ALADYGOESWEST.
- Organifi superfood supplements. I’m all about the Organifi Complete Plant-Based protein powder and the GOLD powder. You can get 15 percent off your order on the Organifi site with the code ALADYGOESWEST.
- Beautycounter. The best safe skincare and makeup. Send me a message, and I’ll share a 20 percent off code for your very first order.
- Les Mills On Demand streaming workouts. My favorite fitness brand. You can do a whole month of workouts during a free 30-day trial by using my special referral link here.
- Les Mills Coach program. You can get 15 percent off a 4-, 8- or 12-week guided coaching and accountability program with the code ASHLEY15.
- Four Sigmatic. These superfood coffees and teas are so good — I especially love the Cacao Chill and Lion’s Mane Latte. Get 15 percent off your order on the site using the code ALADYGOESWEST.
A few things from around the web
- Overtraining. Too much exercise is not a good thing. If you’ve been uninspired, injured, super sore or lethargic, it could be you’re doing too much working out — I’ve been there and done that and don’t want to do it again. Check out this list of signs you may need to work out less.
- Sleep hygiene tips. Sleep is always in style, so I love reading articles about how to improve your sleep. Here’s another good list, featuring all sorts of tips, including setting a “wind-down alarm” each night. Love it.
And here’s the quote of the week from the Calm app, which I use to do my daily morning meditations …
A Lady Goes West favorite archives
- Food. In case you missed it earlier this week … “What I’ve been eating for lunch lately (10 meals).”
- Stress. This seems appropriate for the holiday season … “Five little things I do to feel less stressed.”
Thank you for coming by the blog today! I’ve got some news coming next week, so stay tuned!
Questions of the day
How was your week?
What are you up to this weekend?
Have you watched any holiday movies recently? Which is your favorite?